Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulling rib membrane

Options
Does anyone have a trick or tip to easily pull off the membrane on a rack of ribs? Man, what a tedious job!

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Start it on the small end with the help of a butter knife then grab it with a paper towel and pull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-RL_f8qdJE

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    With your fingernail, starting at the fatter/meatier end, get under the membrane & work your finger under. Take a paper towel, grab the membrane & pull down the rack. It peels right off.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Yep, that.  And if you are still having a ton of trouble, make sure the membrane hasn't already been removed.  I think Costco often does that.
    NOLA
  • Durangler
    Options
    Yep, That too ^^^
  • Dekade
    Dekade Posts: 52
    Options
    I think the paper towel must be the 'trick' I was looking for. Never tried that. Sure should make the difference though. Thanks everyone.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hmmm ... start at the thin end ... start at the thick end.  The third approach is to start in the middle with a butter knife.  Open up a tunnel, then work it with first your finger and then your hand both ways from the middle.  If you're careful you can remove it without "resorting" to a paper towel. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Durangler
    Options
    At least 3 ways to de-membrane a rack!
    I have better luck starting at the thicker end. Only use a paper towel if it gives up a fight.
    Never tried attacking from the middle, but I will on the next rack. =)
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Grab it with your teeth and pull :smiley:  JK. Paper towels. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Sometime ago, I noticed that a local place was selling slabs with a cut lengthwise along the bone side. At first I thought it was just an accident while butchering. But it turned out that peeling off half a membrane was a lot easier than a whole one..

So I slice them now if they haven't been cut. Then, yes paper towels for a grip. Takes some practice, but I can do it pretty easily now.
  • Dekade
    Options
    Well, we've got the thin end, the thick end, and the middle ...  Now, if someone can suggest how to remove it from the front then we will have definitely covered the gammit. =)
  • Dekade
    Options
    buzd504 said:...I think Costco often does that.
    Costco. That's where I buy my ribs. Don't anyone say it!!!!!! I already thought it. Maybe I've been trying to remove what ain't there. No, no way. :s
  • Sm62577
    Sm62577 Posts: 30
    Options
    Pork membrane is pretty easy,  the beef back ribs are the ones that are a pain ...
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Paper towel is everything. It makes it so so so so so much easier.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I use a butter knife and instead of a paper towel, I wrap the membrane around the knife, put my thumb on the membrane and serrated part of the knife and pull.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• hogfan412
    hogfan412 Posts: 75
    Options
    I start in the middle.    I use a steak knife to get the tip in under the membrane.   Once in a rotate it where the dull side of the knife is up.    I then begin working my finger in.    It usually comes off really easy after this with a pull in either direction,   If it get tricky, i grab a paper towel to help.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sm62577 said:
    Pork membrane is pretty easy,  the beef back ribs are the ones that are a pain ...
    A pair of catfish skinning pliers will make it a breeze. They work equally well on pork and beef.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dekade
    Options
    Guess I'll be be trying a lot of methods. We'll see which one, or ones, works out the best. However, I'll bet you one thing - whichever one I say works best certainly won't become the standard for the forum !!! =). (my sense of humor is often gone unappreciated - except by me). ;) You guys have been great with your responses. Very cool.
  • SGH
    Options
    Dekade said:
    However, I'll bet you one thing - whichever one I say works best certainly won't become the standard for the forum !!! =)
    You never know my friend. If you come up with something better than the catfish pliers, I'm in. Always looking to make things simpler.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    SGH said:
    Sm62577 said:
    A pair of catfish skinning pliers will make it a breeze. They work equally well on pork and beef.  
    Can you post a picture? I don't have a clue what style pliers those are.
  • SGH
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Yes sir. Give me just a bit to get down to the boat and get them and I will snap a pic.  

Status- Standing by.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I use a disposable chop stick from a Chinese restaurant to get the edge pulled from the bone. Seems to tear the membrane less often for me. Once loosened the paper towel is the next step.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SGH
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Here you go brother. If you look at the jaws on these pliers, you will notice that one jaw is straight and one jaw is curved. They make a pair that both jaws are curved. The pair with both jaws curved works much better for skinning ribs. I have a pair of those but can't locate them at the moment. They may be in the dishwasher. You can but the pliers at any Walmart for around 5 bucks depending on your location. 

Status- Standing by.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    SGH said:
    BYS1981 said:
    Here you go brother. If you look at the jaws on these pliers, you will notice that one jaw is straight and one jaw is curved. They make a pair that both jaws are curved. The pair with both jaws curved works much better for skinning ribs. I have a pair of those but can't locate them at the moment. They may be in the dishwasher. You can but the pliers at any Walmart for around 5 bucks depending on your location. 

Are those really sold as catfish skinning pliers?  Never heard of them, but then again, I don't fish for or eat catfish.  They look more like some hideous torture device to me. LOL
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SGH
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Are those really sold as catfish skinning pliers
    Yes sir, that's the only name that they go bye down here. It may vary location to location though. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Anyone interested in the pliers, Walmart usually has them for about half of the above price. I have seen them on clearance for 99 cents before. Usually just as the weather gets cool. 

Status- Standing by.

• Dekade
    Options
    SGH said:
    Dekade said:
    However, I'll bet you one thing - whichever one I say works best certainly won't become the standard for the forum !!! =)
    You never know my friend. If you come up with something better than the catfish pliers, I'm in. Always looking to make things simpler.  
    Yep, well - back at ya my friend. I'll be buyin' a pair of them thar pliers also.  I know how well they used to work when I was catfishin' back in the 80's and 90's. Sold the best boat I ever had. What a fool I was. A beautiful 1986 Lund 1600 Fury aluminum V-Hull with a 65hp Evinrude. Totally customized and decked out by me, myself and I. I would give the world to have it back today. Really miss it. Now can't afford a new one or even a good used one. Darn hindsight!!!
  • SGH
    Options
    Dekade said:
     Sold the best boat I ever had. What a fool I was.  I would give the world to have it back today. Really miss it. Now can't afford a new one or even a good used one. Darn hindsight!!!
    I done something very similar. I had a semi custom Ranger Bass Boat. What was unique about was the fact that it was a DVX but had the Commanche package in it. I needed a boat that was no longer than 18 1/2 feet in length due to storage limitations. I wanted a Commanche but they didn't come that short. Hence I wound up with a 18 1/2 DVX and spent the money (6,800.00) to have the Commanche package installed in it. It had a Yamaha 175 HPDI on back. I really loved the whole set up as it was very unique. I would get questioned frequently as to how I had a 18 1/2 foot Commanche and I would have to tell the story that it was actually a DVX that had been upgraded with the Commanche package. I really regret selling it.  

Status- Standing by.

• Dekade
    Options
    SGH said:
    I really regret selling it.  
    It's amazing the pain we deal out to ourselves with our toys - isn't it? Sorry you had a similar experience. I wouldn't wish the pain on my worst enemy - let alone you :o .