Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

Options

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @chrisc133 Do a search for steak Eze. I think they have a retail package at places like Wally World.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    chrisc133 said: @Blasing have you seen any prepackaged meat like his anywhere else besides RD?  I'm looking for something like this but don't have a RD close by. 
    @chrisc133   No, only seen it at RD.  Try @hotch 's suggestion, or maybe a local butcher.  I can promise you - it's worth it!
    Phoenix 
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @chrisc133 Do a search for steak Eze. I think they have a retail package at places like Wally World.
    Looks like my local Sams carries it. I'll take a look at Costco tomorrow too. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • blasting
    Options

Lit said:
    It had been almost 400 posts since I opened this thread. I can't spend anymore money right now but I think I need this. These cooks are ridiculous. Time to find some things to put on CL.
    I felt the same way and sold a bunch of unused cooking "machines".  BBB coupon and RD prices on the turners helps a bunch. 
    Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I found Steak-eze at Publix. It was asmall package with 8 servings I think. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    We used to get steak Ums growing up. Not sure if they still make em.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Test Bump
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bigdogk9
    bigdogk9 Posts: 69
    Options
    After you cook on the griddle, are you all using a scraper to clean it? Or will it mess the seasoning up? Mine has cleaned up good with water while it's still hot but just wondering if I should get a scraper?
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    bigdogk9 said:
    After you cook on the griddle, are you all using a scraper to clean it? Or will it mess the seasoning up? Mine has cleaned up good with water while it's still hot but just wondering if I should get a scraper?
    I don't think you're supposed to put water on it per the instruction manual.  The scraper won't mess up your seasoning and makes it an easier job! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • bigdogk9
    bigdogk9 Posts: 69
    Options
    Grillin_beers said:
    bigdogk9 said:
    I don't think you're supposed to put water on it per the instruction manual.  The scraper won't mess up your seasoning and makes it an easier job! 
    Thank you. I guess I need to read the manual!!!!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I scrape mine after every cook. I don't think a little water hurts to get up the rough spots, just put on a little so it steams. Just don't dump water on it. I use a squirt bottle like the oil bottle.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Water is fine to clean it.  It helps clean off the bits.  If you sealed your top correctly, you will be fine.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    bigdogk9 said:
    Depends on what I'm cooking, but now that it's seasoned well, nothing really sticks anymore. Most of the time, I just use the spatula to get off any leftovers and then I use a paper towel and push everything into the gutter and into the catch. I have used a scraper before and it didn't hurt. It seems when you get it seasoned really good, nothing sticks. Also, I used water before too, but no need anymore.
  • blasting
    Options
    I tried the grill brick - what a horrible mess.

Grill pads - didn't do much of anything.

What I like most is one of those curly stainless steel thingys.  Wet the grill and use the scraper to scrub the curly thing around.  Then wipe with PT.  Then oil it up.

Keep those suggestions coming - love to hear what works for others.
    Phoenix 
  • cazzy
    Options
    blasting said:
    I tried the grill brick - what a horrible mess.

Grill pads - didn't do much of anything.

What I like most is one of those curly stainless steel thingys.  Wet the grill and use the scraper to scrub the curly thing around.  Then wipe with PT.  Then oil it up.

Keep those suggestions coming - love to hear what works for others.
    I find that just a good ol' fashioned spit shine works the best.  No phlegm tho!
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Hotch said:
    I went to Costco yesterday for the sole purpose of buying Philly steaks. Much to my surprise, they had none. Four different kinds of frozen hamburger patties and frozen chicken breasts as far as the eye could see, but no thin steak meat. A trip to Gordon Food Service (GFS) saved the day.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Hotch said:
    I went to Costco yesterday for the sole purpose of buying Philly steaks. Much to my surprise, they had none. Four different kinds of frozen hamburger patties and frozen chicken breasts as far as the eye could see, but no thin steak meat. A trip to Gordon Food Service (GFS) saved the day.
    I'm disappointed Costco doesn't have philly steaks.  Thanks for letting me know before I went over their looking for them! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't know how I've resisted buying one of these yet but maybe its because a) I don't have a covered spot for it b) SWMBO will likely have a conniption. 

My next best option is to convince a friend to get one so I can go over and play with it :smiley: 

@Thatgrimguy - think you mentioned something about a lot of wind around your deck. Does it affect the griddle? Did you have to build some sort of windbreak? My friend's pool deck is a good size and uncovered, so he gets a lot of wind. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    Wind does have an affect...I'm on a raised deck.  On windy days, I don't use the griddle.  I looking at something like @blasting and use it dual purpose, hardtop cover and windbreak
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    i hate all of yall. i didnt think i had space for one of these so i bought a griddle q. it got delivered today, but now im second guessing myself. im worried about temp control and size on the griddle q. thinking i can make room in the garage for it until i can get the covered part of my patio done this fall. i'm just dying to make grilled cheese and philly cheese and fried rice on it. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • cazzy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    i hate all of yall. i didnt think i had space for one of these so i bought a griddle q. it got delivered today, but now im second guessing myself. im worried about temp control and size on the griddle q. thinking i can make room in the garage for it until i can get the covered part of my patio done this fall. i'm just dying to make grilled cheese and philly cheese and fried rice on it. 
    If you can make space, that is the way to go.  Plus, you'll save on a cover, parking in the garage.  

Just return the Griddle Q.  You didnt look at the dimensions?
  • tamu2009
    Options
    @cazzy i did look at dimension. i thought it'd be a good started. but now im thinking i should just buy once and cry once instead of shelling out 75$ on the griddleq and then $250 on one these a few months down the road when i realize the griddle q wont accommodate everything i want to do. 
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • blasting
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    @cazzy i did look at dimension. i thought it'd be a good started. but now im thinking i should just buy once and cry once instead of shelling out 75$ on the griddleq and then $250 on one these a few months down the road when i realize the griddle q wont accommodate everything i want to do. 
    @tamu2009  In case it helps, when I first got the Blackstone I thought it was overkill and wouldn't use all that space but I was very wrong.  Even for simple burgers, you're toasting buns, sauteing onions, frying the meat all at the same time.  I made some killer fried rice a couple days ago, and I used the whole griddle to do so.

Part of the enjoyment for me is not being cramped for space while cooking.

Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    The space is everything. Having the real estate and temp control of propane is what it's all about. Trying to griddle in the egg is like trying to fry in the egg. It can be done, but it's definitely not playing to the Eggs strengths.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tamu2009
    Options
    Guess that settles it. Here's to hoping Lowes price matches my BBB coupon because i can't wait to get it.
  • blasting
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    Guess that settles it. Here's to hoping Lowes price matches my BBB coupon because i can't wait to get it.
    Home depot took it for me, after some himming and hawing.  If you need a little more of a shove, I'll just say the burgers coming off this thing are insane.

Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @blasting- That burger is on point my friend.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm surprised the mods haven't sunk this...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    DMW said:
    I'm surprised the mods haven't sunk this...
    Give it time. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's