Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

slaw recipe

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a great slaw that has little or no mayo that is also light on the sugar. Any recommendations?

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    memphis10c,
    This is a recipe Cat posted and is real good.
    Larry

[ul][li]Yankee Coleslaw[/ul]
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    memphis10c,
    I'm a mayo hater so what I've done recently is to use an eastern North Carolina vinegar based Q-sauce as the dressing. Folks seem to like it.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    memphis10c,[p]Shred 1 head cabbage in food processor,
    shred 1-2 carrots in food processor
    shred 1-2 ribs of celery in food processor[p]Let shredded stuff sit in a bowl for 10-15 minutes, then wring it out. I use my hands, but a couple layers of cheese cloth twisted real tight works good too. There is a ton of juice that comes out of cabbage. The dried you get it the more it will pick up the dressing flavors, and it won't get dilluted.[p]Toast slivered almonds (I use 2 of the small pkgs) and sesame seeds (4-5 table spoons)[p]Dice 1/2 to 3/4 of a bunch of green onions. More or less to taste.[p]Smash up 1-2 pkgs chicken flavored ramen noodles. Save the "Flavoring" packets.[p]Mix canola oil (or some other non-flavored oil), tarragon vinegar (or white vinegar), cracked pepper and the chicken Flavoring packets. I ususally don't use both of the packets of ramen noodle flavoring because of the salt, but they add good flavor. You can add salt if you like, but taste it first.
    I gave no measurements because I do this to taste. I usually start with 1/2 cup of canola oil and add the other things to taste. You just want to be sure that you have enough to lightly coat all the shredded stuff.[p]In a large bowl, mix the shredded stuff, almonds, sesame seeds, green onions, ramen noodles, and vinegrette.[p]The longer it sets the softer the ramen noodles get. I have found that I like the crunch better so I usually mix this just 15-20 minutes before serving.[p]E

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    memphis10c, Everyone loves this one at my house. I buy one or 2 bags of pre-cut slaw. I really like the Dole Tri color. Mix 1/2 jar of Marie's cole slaw dressing (per bag of slaw)and splash with Rice Wine Vinegar to your taste. add Black pepper to your taste and mix well. You could significantly cut back on the dressing if you want. Just experiment,
    Scott

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    That sounds good. I like the oriental flavored Ramen Noodles best, I bet it would be good too.[p]H

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]I am sure it would be good with those too. Probably any flavor would be good. The original version had sugar added to the mix. I liked it that way, kinda sweet and sour. My wife doesn't like it that way, so no more sugar.[p]E

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    memphis10c,[p]Here's one we did at the Florida Eggfest that was very good. I am at work, so can't give you the nutritional information on it at the moment, but it's definitely low on the scale, since it's only 2 points (WeightWatchers), where most coleslaws come in at 6-8 points with the high fat and sugar recipes.[p]QBH's Coleslaw[p]8 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 of a large head)
    2 carrots, peeled and grated
    1/2 medium red onion, shredded or chopped fine
    1/2 cup lowfat sour cream
    1/2 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
    3 Tbs. white vinegar
    1 - 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
    1 Tbs. sugar
    1/2 tsp. celery seed
    1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp. DP Tsunami Spin[p]In a large mixing bowl, mix the cabbage, carrots, and onion. Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Stir the dressing into the vegetables and chill for a few hours before serving. [p]This recipe is a modification of a recipe we found in a cookbook called "1000 Lowfat Recipes" by Terry Blonder Golsen. It's a fantastic cookbook and has SO many awesome recipes. If you get a chance to pick it up, don't hesitate.[p]Tonia

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    memphis10c,[p]
    I personally hate cole slaw, but have had rave reviews about this one from Elder Ward.

[ul][li]Elder Ward's[/ul]
  • Hillbilly
    Hillbilly Posts: 14
    Options
    Take your favorite slaw recipe and add some creamy horseradish to it. Experiment with it, some like it mild, some like it where it clears the sinuses![p]A local Bar B Q house does their slaw this way, it is great.[p]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Master Mason,
    That is the recipe that I use all the time, but I do cut the sugar by half.
    R&J

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    A vinegar based recipe. Ideal for picknicks and Great with pulled pork.
    Ingredients:
    • 1 medium size cabbage shredded
    • ½ tsp dry mustard
    • 1 large onion grated
    • ½ tsp salt
    • 1 small green bell pepper grated
    • ½ Cup vinegar
    • 1 Tbs sugar
    • 3/8 Cup vegetable oil
    • 1/3 Cup sugar
    • 2 celery stalks grated
    • ½ tsp celery seeds

Instructions: SPRINKLE THE SHREADED VEGETABLES WITH 1/3 CUP OF SUGAR.
    IN A POT BRING TO BOIL: OIL, VINEGAR, CELERY SEEDS, DRY MUSTARD & 1 TABLESPOON SUGAR.
    POUR OVER THE CABBAGE MIXTURE.
    COVER & REFRIGERATE