Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size for second egg recommendation

Options
I have a LBGE, and am trying to decide whether to get another large, or medium or small to compliment it.  It's just the two of us, but occasionally, we may cook for 6 when family comes over.

Any suggestions? I'm tending to go toward another large.
Muskogee, OK LBGE

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I started with a large and added a second large. There are four of us, and the large was more than enough for us, but when we have extended family over it wasn't big enough. 

We grill steaks a lot when the family comes over, and I was having to cook in stages.  

I love having two larges. Also there isn't a lot of difference in the price between a medium and large etc. 

Go large! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    You will get many different opinions on this topic.  The reasons that are driving you to consider another BGE should help steer your decision.  A case can be made for any size.  There are many on here who are well past two in number.  Good luck but if you are already leaning in one direction then I would say "go for it".  Easy to spend your $$.  :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    You will get many different opinions on this topic.  The reasons that are driving you to consider another BGE should help steer your decision.  A case can be made for any size.  There are many on here who are well past two in number.  Good luck but if you are already leaning in one direction then I would say "go for it".  Easy to spend your $$.  :)
    Very well put !!
    it all depends on what he's trying to accomplish...and you explained it perfectly!
    It usually comes down to capacity or diversity.. or portability if thats your need !!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Get the largest you can afford unless you plan to travel with it. I got a mini for number two so I could travel with it and it is perfect for cooking for two 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GRE1
    GRE1 Posts: 68
    Options
    There are two of us, so of course we needed 2 XL's..,... No regrets !
    XL times 2
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    I have a Large as well, and picked up a MiniMax this past spring.  Between the two of them I think I can handle just about anything at this point.  

In retrospect, I may have gone with a Small instead of a MM.  Just a little more capacity for lump that I would like to have, but then not as portable.  I've already taken the MM on one beach trip, and plan to on another in a couple of weeks.  It's really nice to be able to bring an Egg with you on vacation.   

The other thing you notice about the MM compared to a Large is how much less lump it uses.  My guess is that once I have a new table for both of them, that I'll end up using the MM as often as I do the Large for our cooks at home.

Just my $0.02.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I agree with those who said it really depends on you and what you want the additional Egg for.

I have a Medium and a Large because my wife bought me the Medium first, and I loved it, but there were times when it was just too small, so another year she bought me the Large.  For me, they're a great combination, and I'm glad I have a Medium instead of two larges, because I use the Medium much more often -- it's just the right size for most of my cooks, which usually are just for me and my wife.  Faster, uses less lump, just right!  :)  But sometimes I need the Large, and sometimes I've used both at once.

If it often happens that you almost feel silly firing up a Large to grill a couple of burgers or steaks or one chicken, then you might consider a Medium or even something smaller.  But if that hardly ever happens, and usually you want a Large or something even larger, then you probably want two Larges, or maybe even a Large and an XL.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I have a Large as well, and picked up a MiniMax this past spring.  Between the two of them I think I can handle just about anything at this point.  

In retrospect, I may have gone with a Small instead of a MM.  Just a little more capacity for lump that I would like to have, but then not as portable.  I've already taken the MM on one beach trip, and plan to on another in a couple of weeks.  It's really nice to be able to bring an Egg with you on vacation.   

The other thing you notice about the MM compared to a Large is how much less lump it uses.  My guess is that once I have a new table for both of them, that I'll end up using the MM as often as I do the Large for our cooks at home.

Just my $0.02.  

I agree 100% John!!

I started with a Small some 12 years ago now and if I had it to do over again and had the choice then folks do now with the MM.. I still would have chosen  a Small... for some of the reasons that you describe.

My wife is not a big BBQ fan ...she's Italian and grew up eating grilled meats/veggies. 
    Once she found out how good baked items were on the eggs though... she was hooked.... and now is like the Egger herself!!
    She's a hell of a Baker!!

Though I ended up making something to modify the Small to make it more usable and configurable for my needs... even though I also have a Large... ( not to mention a Mini that we won at an Eggfest)...t to this day we probably use the Small 60% of the time!!

To be honest I don't really see the attraction of  the MM...over the Small ( unless all you do is tailgate or grill buggas n dogs).
    That said... I do like the handles!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I would go with the MM as it gives you flexibility to travel, tailgate and yet do some of the lighter lifting like veggies while at home. Use of lump is another good reason for small cooks with just the two of you. JMTCW
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    I would say another Large or Minimax depending on how you plan on using it. I have 2 Large and love it. One nice thing about having 2 of the same size is all the accessories are interchangeable without duplicating them. Just my .02.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited July 2015
    Options
    LBGE x2 years and just added a MM on Fathers Day. I think you'd be quite pleased with a LBGE & MM combo. I'm not a master at stuffing a million wings or 5 racks of ribs on a small surface like some of the EggHeads. It was cool and all to put 9 people in my Pinto back in the day, but 4 people in a small car nowadays drives me crazy. More space equals more better with most things and large is nice for big things. Even 4 burgers on the large is more comfortable.   If your grilling or cooking for two most of the time get the MM unless you frequently plan to do longer slower cooks simultaneously.  

Another consideration is if you don't need the portability of what the MM offers, I think leaning towards another large is spot on. Symmetry is nice, but having interchangeable accessories is a major plus. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • logsend
    logsend Posts: 17
    Options
    I had a large first, and added a medium a year or so later.  There was not a big price point between medium and small, so went medium!
    Highland, MD  Egg Family: 1 Large, 1 Medium.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    One other point of view that is summed up with this quote:

Beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it.

Each size egg has it's idiosyncrasies ... you have to learn, and 'member, those differences. 

The difference in cost between a large and a medium is relatively small.  The difference in lump usage is also relatively small.  I've got one large with a plate setter and PSWoo2 set up.  The second large has an AR set up with, I think, one or two of everything that Tom sells.  Also, have a spider and round stone set up.  One can move stuff around and do a little mix and match with accessories for two of the same size eggs.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Unless you're getting the second because you are short on space, I'd suggest going down in size for a second egg.  When the boys aren't home and I'm cooking for just 3, I rarely fire my XL; I just use my medium. The smaller egg heats up faster, uses less charcoal and just feels like it's the right choice for smaller meals. If I were cooking for two most times, the MM would probably be my choice as my primary egg. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Only 2 of us here.  Sometimes have 4-6.  But I like to cook and have vac sealed meals in the freezer when friends and family needs a helping hand to get by for the month.  So I like my XL, L setup.  Thinking of selling my small since it doesn't get used at all.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    As already stated, you'll get tons of different views and opinions from others here.  

I had my heart set on a small for my second over the MM for more room for lump as just in case.  I can handle toting the small around.  However, I got a good deal on a used medium.  I love the medium and it gets most of the work these days for our family of 3 (and most times 4 with my Mom).  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    the obvious choice is the Blackstone. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • okie
    okie Posts: 33
    Options
    Wow! Thanks, everyone. I don't plan on ever going portable so I think, considering the incremental cost factor, and the interchangeability factor as well as the cosmetic symmetry of having both the same on either end of the work space, I'll go ahead and just get another large.

Very much appreciated everyone's input!

Muskogee, OK LBGE
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    I had one large first and then added the second - and I would recommend getting a second large just so you can share accessories between the two if portability isn't your issue.

My 3rd on is a small egg and it's great - but still glad I had 2 larges first
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    I have a large in a challenger cart with a CGS Adjustable Rig, recently added a mini max. Still would like to add an XL.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    +1 on another lg.  
    GWN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Have an XL and a MM, Love both for diametrically opposed reasons. Thinking of adding a third dimension to my madness in adding a Medium. 
    If you are looking for portability, MM, no doubt, great and awesome. Expanded capacity, another large or medium.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Love my Large and Small combo.  The small can handle a pork butt, ribs, steaks, veggies, pork loin, etc.  For just the two of you, you will use a lot less lump and you can fire up both of them for the larger cooks.  Of course, I did have to (get to) buy accessories for the small.  Love the combo.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    A Blackstone Griddle like the cool kids :tongue: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    Do you have an adjustable rig? I think with an AR one large can easily cook for 6. I have a mini, a large and an xl and I'd say the mini is perfect for 2-3 people, the large is perfect for 2-3 families and the xl is great for anything over 3 families. Have fun!

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Medium.  Yep, until you get all the others anyway, like the rest of us weirdos on this forum.