Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Poster: Pizza Question..

Options
Arkysmokin
Arkysmokin Posts: 124
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
This is the first time I have posted on here but I read the forum almost daily. The discussions on here are great and have made my experience with the egg more than I could imagine. My question is in regards to Pizza...

Is it better to have the plate setter legs down or legs up when cooking pizza? The only time I put legs down is when cooking pizza but I'm noticing that my seal has started to burn a little at the 12'oclock spot on the egg. I just replaced my seal (long story) a few weeks ago and I don't want to burn up another one so soon. I didn't know if maybe having the legs down was pushing the heat onto the seal. When cooking my pizzas I run the egg around the 450 range. Any help would be appreciated. 

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I just fried the 12 O'clock spot on mine last weekend doing pizza the same way.  Guess I'll hit @RRP up for a Rutland.  I had legs up and the Roswell Rig from Innovations by Chance with pizza stone on top.  Set up is AWESOME (if interested).  It puts the stone about as high in the dome as possible and made for an even cook.  I left the vents open between pizzas and the temp ran away from me and hit close to 700.  Guess thats what did it.  I wouldn't think 450 would hurt a gasket!?!?  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    That setup sounds nice. I should have ordered a Rutland. I didn't think 450 would hurt it either. That's why I was thinking it could be the way the platesetter is in. I run with legs down, a aluminum pie pan upside down on the platesetter and the pizza stone on top of it. It works good

XL BGE

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Suffice it to say.... there are many different setups you can use for pizza but over the years I've seen a lot of gaskets fried using platesetter (legs down) and high heat!

While it is the high heat that fries your gas gasket... generally it starts because you have a spot in your gasket that is either missing...shrunken..or most times... it is a place where your dome is misaligned and like water its find a weak spot and runs through it like a screaming hot freight train !!

If you think about it...set your platesetter legs down on your egg and then imagine all of that super high heat hitting the bottom of your platesetter ...and then going sideways toward the wall of your egg and gasket... and I think you can imagine why that puts so much stress on those gaskets!

No matter how you choose to do it I like to have my thermal barrier (whatever it is)...down well below the gasket and then have my pizza stone where my pizza is actually going to be cooked as high in the dome as I can get it!

What I'm trying to get you to visualize is having that high temperature air hit the bottom of whatever your thermal barrier is... (and then go sideways) you want it to hit a wall not your gasket!!!

Ideally what you're looking for is to isolate your pizza stone with   convected air above and below it hopefully at about the same temperature so that you get radiant heat pushing down from the top to the top of the pizza... and heat coming from below that is reasonably close to the same temperature to cook your crust at the same rate.

I hope that makes sense to you!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    It absolutely does! Thank you very much.

XL BGE

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Legs down. Who needs a gasket? They're over rated.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I run legs up with grate on platesetter, then 3 fire bricks spaced to the edges of the pizza stone on top of the grate.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I run legs up for pizza.  The point is to shield your pizza stone from the direct fire.  Legs up, in my view, let's more air flow around to keep all surfaces hot.   Could be argued the other way also (creating a 1.5" thick surface under the pizza) but that would take long to heat it all up to 500+ degrees throughout.

YMMV, but that's what has worked for me.

Yeah, those high temp cooks destroy the gasket.   I'm still rocking my original one but it is looking a bit long in the tooth.  I'll change to the RRP solution eventually.

Welcome and please feel free to share your cooks!

I read all the fancy cooks and will occasionally share one myself, but don't be shy about posting hot dogs and hamburgers!  There are folks here who will share in that enthusiasm also.   I put up grilled chicken this week...nobody seemed to care.  :lol: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    Thank you @KiterTodd! I will have to post some pics. I really enjoy seeing everyone else's cooks. I plan on smoking a pork butt this weekend. I have a tendency to cook spatch chickens and ribs the most. Atleast that's what my neighbors like. I'll start doing legs up and use my grill extender to see how that works. 

XL BGE