Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Got My First Egg

Options
rossv1
rossv1 Posts: 114
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone. If you can't tell by my username, my name is Ross. I'm from middle Georgia and I'm 22 so I guess I'm one of the younger guys here. Just recently picked up a large egg for a complete steal. Tonight is the first time I'm using it, or a Green Egg at all for that matter. I chose to do cheese stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in bacon which are cooking now. 

I'm excited to really learn how to use my Egg and try to make some great food. 

Hopefully I started this thread in the right section, still trying to get used to the forum. 
22 in Macon, GA - Large BGE 2015

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to the OCD eggers group. The most important thing you need to do is have fun. The cost to join is nowhere near the cost to stay in.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Sounds like a great first cook.  Pictures of the cook are always requested :)
    New Orleans LA
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome!  Pics are required or it didn't happen lol
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Welcome padawan. You will do great. The fact you are acquiring such a nice piece of equipment at such a young age speaks to your intelligence. Have fun, take pics, and enjoy the ride.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    Welcome!! I wish I would have started with the Egg at your age. Experiment and have fun congrats 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Welcome to the herd. And congrats on the BGE. Post those pics please.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Welcome @rossv1   Where in middle Ga?  Macon here
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hey brother, wishing you the best. There is a learning curve ... don't be afraid to ask questions .. the guys here have saved me a lot of time.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • danmac
    danmac Posts: 30
    Options
    Welcome to the forum..lots of great info here...Congrats on your new Egg.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Welcome...  Just enjoy... Get ready to spend some more money... Post your pics
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • rossv1
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

bo31210, I'm also from Macon. Cool to find out others around me are on the site too.

Just finished eating. Everyone said it tasted great, which it did, but I thought the chicken was a bit dry. They were cooked for about 45 minutes or so indirectly at around 370*. Probably cooked them too long which is why they seemed dry. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be to keep the temp as stable as a first time user could, but I still really need work on that. Will probably do a dry run tomorrow and just work on temp control up to around 400 since the gasket still needs to set. Any tips or help is greatly appreciated!

Here's my final product. Chicken breasts stuffed with swiss and cream cheese wrapped in bacon.

photo 1DF24BB1-29A5-4665-B06F-0827FFA42185_zpszrc3earpjpg

And here's a pic of her strapped up in my front seat on the way home. Talk about some weird looks my ride home. Lol

photo DCF3294D-A38D-4650-906C-55C2BD26480F_zpsxjcy0nfzjpg

(how do you post pics? On the others forums I simply copy/paste the IMG code from Photobucket.) 

Think I figured out how, but man are they huge.

• snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Well you have great taste in watch styles and cookers!  Welcome from another watch addict.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Welcome! Enjoy the new egg and if you need help, just ask. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    @rossv1   Cook with it and you will get it.  I will message you my number off you have any questions.   Consider a thermapen or instant read thermometer.   Helps with the perfect temp every time.   
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome! 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    Ditto on the recommendation for a Thermopen--cooking by the temperature of the food to determine doneness rather than time alone produces juicier and more tender meat.  The Thermopen is a must for Egging as well as in your regular kitchen.  It has changed how I do everything!!!  And be prepared to face a new way of thinking and living--life soon begin to revolve around family and the egg!!
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Welcome aboard, enjoy the Egg
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Have fun on your journey, young buck.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Welcome
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Welcome and great to see you  jump into the fray with a strong first cook.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Smokehouse33
    Smokehouse33 Posts: 185
    Options
    Welcome! Your going to love it!
  • rossv1
    Options
    Thanks everybody!

snoqualmiesmoker, watches are my main passion. I inherited the love from my dad and haven't looked back. Lol

I'm going to get a Thermopen asap. From what I've seen everyone here seems to have one. One question though, is there any reason most go with that over the BGE version or the competitors?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Welcome and the food looks great. Regarding the thermopen, most choose it because it has the fastest response time. The BGE version looks like a TP but it is slower. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    Consider the thermo pop to save a little cash.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Welcome aboard - great looking first cook too!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Sort of conflicting comments:
    • I strongly agree that your chicken was almost certainly overcooked which is why it was dry, and the solution for that is to cook to internal temperature, not time.  One of the great things about the Big Green Egg is that it tends to keep meats moist!  I also agree that the Thermapen is amazing and wonderful, and if you can easily afford it, I urge you to get one. I even take mine on vacation with me, because I don't like cooking without it anymore.
    • However, there are a whole lotta thermometers out there, and if price is a serious concern, you certainly can tell what the temperature is with a much cheaper thermometer.  You'll just have to be more careful to leave it in long enough that you know for sure it is reading an accurate temperature.  Most "instant read" thermometers are NOT instant, but most of them are fine within a few seconds.  The Thermapen is so very fast it just makes that very frequent task easy and pleasant, which is really nice, and it's why people love them so much.  But the crucial issue is to read the internal temperature, and there are cheaper ways to do that.  Don't let us give you the impression that you have to run out and buy a whole bunch of expensive accessories to cook wonderful food on your new BGE.  You don't.