Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does your egg want to play too?

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
The Blackstone griddle is the craze right now, so just in case you have griddle fever, I'm here to help!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003VGM012

It might be cheaper elsewhere, but damn, 5 star reviewed product.  So for you guys who can't convince the wife that you need it, or are making excuses that you lack space.  This is your Huckleberry!  

cazzy, aka "the devil on your shoulder" :naughty: 
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Lots of vine program reviews they were giving that thing away.
    Seattle, WA
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Bought one a couple weeks ago - haven't used it yet. Looking forward to griddle fun.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    That accessory is pretty dang cool. I need to quit reading your threads. I feel like a little kid in Toys R U.S. Before I can say Can..... I get a NO! Be happy with what you got. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Already got it on my list...my SWMBO is gonna kill me. 

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    dldawes1 said:
    Already got it on my list...my SWMBO is gonna kill me. 
    You sure it's not SWOMB - She Who Owns My Balls?

LOL - j/k big guy!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I always keep spelling it wrong !!!1

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Of course yet another accessory that doesn't fit on my medium. While I wanted a MM next.....might have to rearrange my BGE priorities first. Looks way cool.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Of course yet another accessory that doesn't fit on my medium. While I wanted a MM next.....might have to rearrange my BGE priorities first. Looks way cool.
    Your BGE priorities are right. The Mini Max rocks. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2015
    Flat tops are a great tool to have in the kitchen/pit/shed wherever you cook. I think the BlackStone has the advantage of exceptional temp control - four propane (or NG?) burners each adjustable. The griddles that sit on top of a charcoal grill can be very difficult to cook on due to temp control. I still don't like to wok on my egg as the temp control is just not there, stir fry is much better on the high output propane burner. Still, another way to cook on your egg can be a ton of fun. I like my S60 Camp Chef flat top, does have the odd hot spot as the stove only has two burners. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    You can also buy it direct from the company (http://www.littlegriddle.com/Kettle-Q-Stainless-Steel-Griddle-p/kq17r.htm). Use coupon "YOUTUBE" for a 20% discount and you get Free Ground Shipping. Beats amazon & taxes for me :)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • I have a square one like this that i used when i had my gas grill years ago.  It worked pretty well. 
    Wiggins, MS
  • cazzy
    fljoemon said:
    You can also buy it direct from the company (http://www.littlegriddle.com/Kettle-Q-Stainless-Steel-Griddle-p/kq17r.htm). Use coupon "YOUTUBE" for a 20% discount and you get Free Ground Shipping. Beats amazon & taxes for me :)
    There you go...even better!

Thanks FLJ!
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Well damn. you convinced me to order one. Just ordered one and it should be here in time to do burgers tomorrow with my parents. I got a half moon cast iron griddle when i first got it and that thing was awful. looking forward to this as I LOVE flat top burgers way more than regular grilled burgers.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I am so close to getting one. I have never thought about having a griddle, but seeing all of these pics and videos are making me change my mind. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    tamu2009 said:
    Well damn. you convinced me to order one. Just ordered one and it should be here in time to do burgers tomorrow with my parents. I got a half moon cast iron griddle when i first got it and that thing was awful. looking forward to this as I LOVE flat top burgers way more than regular grilled burgers.
    There @cazzy goes stimulating the economy again! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • cazzy
    tamu2009 said:
    Make sure to season it first...this should give you an idea:

https://youtu.be/1376ITxF1Oc

Here is a thread on ChefTalk about seasoning (the first reply suggests to use salt with your oil, no salt needed):

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/12287/seasoning-of-stainless-steel-fry-pan
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Interesting. We have ALL purchased products that now lie in the eggcessory boneyard unused. Why not just use a large CI cookware piece in the egg and get the same results  vs being a follower to a cool kid trend. Flat top griddles have been around for a very long time so why now with this trend?  CI in the egg works great. OTOH if you needed a huge griddle I can see a "real" single purpose griddle being worth one's while and money. Just my 2¢ :peace: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    I think the standalone griddle idea caught on because you don't have to fire up the egg and can just turn a knob and be cooking quickly. This item eliminates that benefit and your point is valid. That said, I bought one of these before this thread got started but haven't used it yet. Maybe it will go back. Decisions decisions. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • cazzy
    edited July 2015
    Interesting. We have ALL purchased products that now lie in the eggcessory boneyard unused. Why not just use a large CI cookware piece in the egg and get the same results  vs being a follower to a cool kid trend. Flat top griddles have been around for a very long time so why now with this trend?  CI in the egg works great. OTOH if you needed a huge griddle I can see a "real" single purpose griddle being worth one's while and money. Just my 2¢ :peace: 
    I could see that working out pretty well with a lodge 17".

Cut the front part off to open it up...like 1 or 2/8 off so you can comfortably use a spatula and still have the handles.  Then you can use a drip pan underneath or something.  

• NPHuskerFL
    Cazzy why mod the pan unless you're saying to do this for the sole purpose of a griddle?  I have several CI pieces but, for griddle like use I use this ....  http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    The model for the Weber Genesis has my interest. Large surface area and easy heat control and stores in the grill. Open dome cooking with the egg isnt something that apeals to me.
    Jacksonville FL
  • cazzy
    Cazzy why mod the pan unless you're saying to do this for the sole purpose of a griddle?  I have several CI pieces but, for griddle like use I use this ....  http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X
    The wall is very important in my opinion.  Also, being able to easily get rid of rendered fat is also important.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    ^^^^^ agreed
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    edited July 2015

Dobie said:
    The model for the Weber Genesis has my interest. Large surface area and easy heat control and stores in the grill. Open dome cooking with the egg isnt something that apeals to me.
    I agree.  Several of the folks in the Griddle Advice thread picked up the 23.  For me, that is a much better option and gives you better control.  This is an option for peeps who don't have a gas grill, or don't have room for the Blackstone.
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    @cazzy. that's exactly why i picked it up. I had a cast iron griddle and hated it because the fat had no where to go. i dont have room for a blackstone or I would pick one of those up (even though i probably dont need one that big). 

I feel like this griddle q is the perfect size for my burger needs (i love flat top bugers) and breakfast needs. Wish I still had a gasser to put one of these on, but gave it away, and don't have the room for a blackstone. maybe once the outdoor kitchen gets funded.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2015
    Cazzy I've been eye effing this all day!  I hate you! :tongue: Truth be told I'm excited for Hatch Chile peppers next month. I'm figuring on roasting a minimum of one to one and a half bushels. But, I have a weakness for homemade tortillas. Huevos rancheros with fresh roasted Hatch Chile on a homemade tortilla fresh off the griddle on the BGE. Ya I'm pretty much sold. I think I could accomplish it with the large CI but, the issue (as you pointed out is rendered fat removal--- definitely agree). Pricepoint is fair. I'm thinking I could use it for: burgers, blackening fish and seafood, breakfast items, tortillas, blah, blah.  Dammit I wish I would've just left this thread alone. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    edited July 2015
    Cazzy I've been eye effing this all day!  I hate you! :tongue: Truth be told I'm excited for Hatch Chile peppers next month. I'm figuring on roasting a minimum of one to one and a half bushels. But, I have a weakness for homemade tortillas. Huevos rancheros with fresh roasted Hatch Chile on a homemade tortilla fresh off the griddle on the BGE. Ya I'm pretty much sold. I think I could accomplish it with the large CI but, the issue (as you pointed out is rendered fat removal--- definitely agree). Pricepoint is fair. I'm thinking I could use it for: burgers, blackening fish and seafood, breakfast items, tortillas, blah, blah.  Dammit I wish I would've just left this thread alone. 
    Don't forget what Joe listed.  20% off, no tax and free shipping.  ;)

fljoemon said:

• NPHuskerFL
    Thanks. Missed that. Every little bit of savings helps. My ONLY real concern is heat control to the griddle surface vs a LP/NAT gas or electric thermostat controlled griddle. But, I figure for the money it's probably about the same as using CI as a griddle in the egg. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014