Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice needed for BGE placement

Options
I'm planning on adding another LBGE (for a total of two LBGE's) and have a contractor build them in on my rock patio, with one on either side of about an 84" built in platform. My question is that on the BGE's site, it states not to use a table nest without the egg encircled on the top to keep it from tipping over. I really like the look of the front open, and with the rock surrounding it on three sides, without a round cutout in the counter top, if that makes sense.

My question is can I just sit the LBGE's on the stone floor, without the table nest, or something else, where there is no air gap? I have seen examples going both ways. 

In other words, it mandatory or advisable to use the table nest if the surface the egg is sitting is fireproof?  Must I put an air gap underneath it if the floor it sits on is fireproof, or use something to raise it and then surround the top of the egg with the counter to to stabilize it, which I'd rather not do?

Thanks for your advice and help in advance.
Muskogee, OK LBGE

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I highly recommend using a table best or other means to provide an air gap. A lot of heat is transferred from the bottom of the egg. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I agree that the open front is more convenient.  regard the base I have a large paver with green feet on top for the BGE to rest..  Somewhere many years ago it was said that the air gap is the way to go so I did.  Best of luck.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Also, if the egg needs to be removed to replace parts, the air gap will make it easier to rig something up for the transfer. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    On one of the other forums, there was a guy who built a massive metal cart that had a gas griddle, a BGE, and a single burner.  He had brackets made that bolted in where the acorn nuts are where the Egg Mates would attach.  The rods are officially called Heim Rods, kinda like the tie rods on the front end suspension on the car.

They have ball joints that are threaded into the frame and the metal bracket.  Made of Stainless Steel.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Also, a front "stop" brace wouldn't have to go all the way across and interfere with the openness.  Extend them from the side just enough to catch the egg if it should tip.

Although I really like the back braces that @DaveRichardson mentioned ... neat idea.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• okie
    okie Posts: 33
    Options
    I think what I'll do is use the table nest for the air gap, and then have him cut the counter top so it's open in front, but curves around just enough to keep the eggs from falling over-sort of hugging it from both sides a few inches around the curve. That's the best of both worlds.
    Muskogee, OK LBGE
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    If this were in my built-in that I have in my head.....  I'd have these rods placed on both the left and the right sides of the egg attached into the island for security.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning Okie:

As you can see I left my set up open in front, but the Eggs are sitting on the "green feet" on pavers...I haven't had any issue with the Eggs stability and it has made it easier to move them the few times I have wanted to.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    I feel the risk of having a Large Egg on the platform with no support is that it could be considered top heavy. This could be a disaster if a child were to grab the handle and pull Egg down on top of them (cold or hot). Table nest is a great option for not transferring heat throughout your structure.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA