Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 LB. Picnic ??

Options
billy bob
billy bob Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought an 8 lb. "pork shoulder picnic" yesterday.I put some rub on it last night and threw it in the fridge.I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how long it should take. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks![p]Billy-Bob

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Billy-Bob,[p]Cooking time depends on the cooking temperature and, to some degree, how the picnic decides to cook. Many cook at a higher temp than I favor. I tend to cook the first part of the cook (up to 170F internal) in the 210-220F range and then raise the temp to 250-275F to finish it. A 8 pounder should take around 20-22 hours when cooked this way.[p]For tips, take a look at Elder Ward's excellent and entertaining explaination of how to cook pulled pork.[p]You're in for a real treat![p]Spin
  • Spin
    Options
    Spin,[p]And I forgot to post the link:-{. Here it is.[p]Spin

[ul][li]NC pulled pork[/ul]
  • billy bob
    Options
    Spin,[p]Thanks for the tips. I am getting pretty good at briskets, but this is my first picnic. Is there much difference between a Boston Butt and a picnic. It seems I read more posts about BB than picnics. Flavor, time, etc?[p]Billy-Bob

• Spin
    Options
    Billy-Bob,[p]The butt is from the front shoulder area of the pig and the picnic is the upper front leg to the shoulder. The two cuts are actually connected when purchasing a whole shoulder. Both cook the same with the picnic having a slightly hammier taste.[p]A picnic is an easy brisket cook. The method and purpose are the same. The picnic will tend to have a very pronounced plateau compared to the brisket. The internal temperature will simply stall in its rise for several hours (160-170F). This is normal and quite good as this is the time the collegen and gristle break down into baste and flavor. Allow the meat to ride through this as long as it wants.[p]Spin