Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it worth going to the mothership?

2»

Comments

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Is it just a company store (and historical display) or can you get a plant tour? 
    I suppose if everything is made in Mexico the plant tour is probably nothing other than a warehouse...   :disappointed: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • I was there last week (took the wife and kids too). It was just a company store (with the aforementioned display). I enjoyed going and getting some BGE schwag.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited July 2015
    Here are the kiddos admiring Mr. Egghead, and chowing down on some Heirloom Market BBQ afterwards...

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    It sounds like Roswell HW is the true Mecca.  Everyone talks about it like its the greatest place on earth.  I'll have to go there one day. 
    No. Roswell has product but is not exactly the Eggsperiance. If I could go to one, I'd go to the mothership. You can order the other stuff on-line. 

Their cooks are on old pot-holed blacktop next to the metal roof building. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120

Ok, so I arrive at the airport at 1:00 in the afternoon of October 5.  My hotel is a quick shuttle ride from the airport.  I am eating dinner near my hotel.  Given those parameters:

1.  If I rent a car at the airport, how long to BGE and/or Roswell HW?

2.  A Cab ride is out, right?  Otherwise, I really don't need a car.

3.  What are the hours of said establishments?  Do they both close at 5:00?

I know I can google a couple of those things, but I figured the locals know traffic better.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    We went Saturday and quite honestly, were disappointed. It's neat and all, but just lacked something. The staff was friendly, and they had every BGE product available, but we were very underwhelmed. It could be so much more. 
    If you're nearby, I reccomed going. But I wouldn't go too much out of my way, as this forum is much more informative and you can get everything else locally. 
  • THEBuckeye
    Pridnjoy said:
    We went Saturday and quite honestly, were disappointed. It's neat and all, but just lacked something. The staff was friendly, and they had every BGE product available, but we were very underwhelmed. It could be so much more. 
    If you're nearby, I reccomed going. But I wouldn't go too much out of my way, as this forum is much more informative and you can get everything else locally. 
    I'm local. I've been there a few times, including volunteering at a class in the Culinary Center. 

I agree with @Pridnjoy. Not worth going out of your way for but I do recommend checking out the Classes. You might find one to your liking and curiosity.

New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye

Langner91 said:

Ok, so I arrive at the airport at 1:00 in the afternoon of October 5.  My hotel is a quick shuttle ride from the airport.  I am eating dinner near my hotel.  Given those parameters:

1.  If I rent a car at the airport, how long to BGE and/or Roswell HW?

2.  A Cab ride is out, right?  Otherwise, I really don't need a car.

3.  What are the hours of said establishments?  Do they both close at 5:00?

I know I can google a couple of those things, but I figured the locals know traffic better.

1. Assuming "normal" non-rush traffic you're 35-40 minutes to BGE and approx. an hour to Roswell Hardware. Not sure why you'd want to go to Roswell - it's an ACE that sells Eggs and Yeti's and Dizzy. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. It's all freeway to BGE and mostly all freeway to Roswell. 

2. Uber perhaps? Cab and Uber muy $$$$$$. 

3. BGE retail is open until 5:30. I suspect Roswell is open until 7-8 given it's an ACE Hardware.

4. If it were me, I'd go to the Mothership just to say you've been there. Forget Roswell Hardware. 
    New Albany, Ohio