Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About blew my stack!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
Tell you up front this a staged picture, but my story is real!

This morning I had my PS in place and my BBQ Guru set at 350 coming up to temperature as I prepared a butt inside in the house. When I thought it would be close to temp I went out to check and WOW - this is what I found! I have seen blue flames blasting out an unobstructed dome before about like a jet engine kicking in the afterburner. All I can assume is that happened and about blew my cap off. Anybody else ever have this happen?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    i bet that was a shock to the system!  I haven't ever blown the top off my BGE before, but I have way overshot the temp before! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Thanks for the posting.  As a new BGE owner (being delivered tomorrow) things like this are something that I need to be aware of.  This site has taught me a lot during the last month about the many things that can go wrong and that constant vigilance is required when cooking.

Thanks again.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I've had ball burners come out the bottom vent but never saw anything like that! 
    It would have been neat to witness. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Maybe a squirrel was looking for some grub?

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    On a separate note.... Pork butt during the week? Must be nice to be retired!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I haven't blown my top but I did fry my gasket yesterday.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Never. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    @RRP ... was the BBQ Guru controlling or did something happen that left it supplying a constant flow of air (O2)?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP ... was the BBQ Guru controlling or did something happen that left it supplying a constant flow of air (O2)?
    Good question, but the Guru was just puffing when I found the cap ajar and 30 minutes now into the cook and it is working fine.
  • RRP
    Options

LOL - actually I'm teaching a BGE cooking class tonight for newbies and cooking a butt in the 2.5 hour time frame isn't possible so I wrap and cooler it. That way they can see what a finished butt looks like and then see how I pull it plus enjoy it fresh. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    RRP said:

LOL - actually I'm teaching a BGE cooking class tonight for newbies and cooking a butt in the 2.5 hour time frame isn't possible so I wrap and cooler it. That way they can see what a finished butt looks like and then see how I pull it plus enjoy it fresh. 
    That sounds like a blast @RRP!  Is the whole class about cooking a Boston Butt or will you be talking about other stuff as well. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    Thanks for the posting.  As a new BGE owner (being delivered tomorrow) things like this are something that I need to be aware of.  This site has taught me a lot during the last month about the many things that can go wrong and that constant vigilance is required when cooking.

Thanks again.
    Over 300 degrees BURP egg as precaution!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Ron, don't have a smokeware cap but I've certainly seen the blue flames coming out of the top of my egg accompanying orange flames from the bottom vent. Definitely interesting to say the least. Every time it's happened to me alcohol was involved so I blame that
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRP
    Options
    That sounds like a blast @RRP!  Is the whole class about cooking a Boston Butt or will you be talking about other stuff as well. 
    No, the butt is just 1 of 10 things I serve during the class. I try to serve something every 20 minutes and start right away. Due to time constraints and only having two large eggs there at the store, I take the butt already done as well as a triple chocolate & Kahlua cake. What I try to do is show newbies a variety of foods they can do on their new egg. I serve pig shots, moink balls, a small grilled sandwich, grilled shrimp, ABTs, Georgia Red Wings, the butt, pizza, rib eyes and lastly the cake. Being a one man show I stay busy! BTW this is my 9th year doing these and typically have 4 a year.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Wow man that sounds like a great class! I'm sure they will learn a ton!  I'm not an egging newbie but if I was around your area I would check it out for sure.  Is there anyway I could trouble you for the triple chocolate and kahlua cake recipe? My wife gets back into town tomorrow after a long hard week away and she would love it if I made her a nice cake.  

• RRP
    Options
     Is there anyway I could trouble you for the triple chocolate and kahlua cake recipe? My wife gets back into town tomorrow after a long hard week away and she would love it if I made her a nice cake.  
    Here you go!

Triple Chocolate and Kahlua Cake

Source: egger Tammy Jacques a.k.a. Mrs. Squeeze

1 box of Pillsbury Moist Supreme German Chocolate cake mix (forget the ingredients the box calls for - all you want is the mix) 

1 4oz package of Jell-O brand instant chocolate pudding 

6 oz chocolate chips (Hershey’s Special Dark Mildly Sweet is best)

1 pint of sour cream 

3/4 cup veggie oil 

4 eggs (yolks + whites) 

1/3 cup Kahlua 

Set up the BGE for an indirect cook with plate setter inverted and grill sitting on legs. 

Stabilize fire at 350 and make sure there is no smoke - this may take extra time but you really need the 350 stability plus the smoke free fire. 

Mix all the ingredients well with a mixer as the batter is very thick! 

Spray bundt pan with a baker's spray like Baker's Secret or Bake Ease even if your bundt pan is Teflon coated.

Bake at 350 for 55 to 60 minutes and test with a toothpick until the toothpick comes out clean.

Remove from BGE and let the cake settle and cool still in the bundt pan for at least 15 minutes - flip and it should fall out with ease. Let it cool longer yet - if you can at all so it will firm up...especially since the chocolate chips are still gooey at that warm stage!  Suit yourself about an icing, but I like to let this cake speak for itself!

By the nature of the ingredients it is an extremely moist cake. BTW I think the cake is far better the next day and it really keeps quite well just covered on the counter! I hope yours comes out as well! 

Now ENJOY your efforts!  Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Thanks so much @rrp

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I don't care much for sweets but then I read that cake recipe. Damn! I believe the wife and kids may be having that this weekend!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • RRP
    Options
    I don't care much for sweets but then I read that cake recipe. Damn! I believe the wife and kids may be having that this weekend!
    Trust me - it really is top flight! And a neat thing about it is when people see you bake it on your egg that blows their minds! 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    RRP said:
     Is there anyway I could trouble you for the triple chocolate and kahlua cake recipe? My wife gets back into town tomorrow after a long hard week away and she would love it if I made her a nice cake.  
    Here you go!

Triple Chocolate and Kahlua Cake

Source: egger Tammy Jacques a.k.a. Mrs. Squeeze

1 box of Pillsbury Moist Supreme German Chocolate cake mix (forget the ingredients the box calls for - all you want is the mix) 

1 4oz package of Jell-O brand instant chocolate pudding 

6 oz chocolate chips (Hershey’s Special Dark Mildly Sweet is best)

1 pint of sour cream 

3/4 cup veggie oil 

4 eggs (yolks + whites) 

1/3 cup Kahlua 

Set up the BGE for an indirect cook with plate setter inverted and grill sitting on legs. 

Stabilize fire at 350 and make sure there is no smoke - this may take extra time but you really need the 350 stability plus the smoke free fire. 

Mix all the ingredients well with a mixer as the batter is very thick! 

Spray bundt pan with a baker's spray like Baker's Secret or Bake Ease even if your bundt pan is Teflon coated.

Bake at 350 for 55 to 60 minutes and test with a toothpick until the toothpick comes out clean.

Remove from BGE and let the cake settle and cool still in the bundt pan for at least 15 minutes - flip and it should fall out with ease. Let it cool longer yet - if you can at all so it will firm up...especially since the chocolate chips are still gooey at that warm stage!  Suit yourself about an icing, but I like to let this cake speak for itself!

By the nature of the ingredients it is an extremely moist cake. BTW I think the cake is far better the next day and it really keeps quite well just covered on the counter! I hope yours comes out as well! 

Now ENJOY your efforts!  Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL

Ron, this sounds like a great recipe.  Thanks for posting!

But I do have a question - is there some reason to cook this on an Egg vs. just a regular oven when you're striving for a smoke-free fire anyway?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    Options
    Sure it can be cooked in an oven, but like I said it's cool to be able to say or show people you baked it on an egg. I've been doing a couple cakes for the Peoria Eggfest for years which baffles want-to-be eggers. Their mouth drops open and then they taste the cake and that really sells them!
  • RRP
    edited July 2015
    Options

Tell you a funny story. A few years back I shared some of this cake with an elderly neighbor couple. Their response was it was good, but "too bad it was so damn smokey!" I've never noticed smoke and it made me wonder. A couple weeks later I did exactly what @JohnInCarolina asked and I baked it in the oven and I gave a big piece to the neighbors again - and you betcha - he said  - if you could just get rid of that smoke taste it would be a good cake!!! :o I have never given them another piece!!!
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    RRP said:

Tell you a funny story. A few years back I shared some of this cake with an elderly neighbor couple. Their response was it was good, but "too bad it was so damn smokey!" I've never noticed smoke and it made me wonder. A couple weeks later I did exactly what @JohnInCarolina asked and I baked it in the oven and I gave a big piece to the neighbors again - and you betcha - he said  - if you could just get rid of that smoke taste it would be a good cake!!! :o I have never given them another piece!!!
    Hahaha.  Sometimes you can't win man! 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    RRP said:

That is pretty funny Ron!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike