Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just BEET it...

SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,500
EggHatter is trying a new diet that has beets as one of the main items one day so we decided to roast some fresh beets...here they are just put on the small Egg, indirect dome temp just over 400...only some olive oil, salt and DP Shaking the Tree sprinkled on them...

Just took them off after a little less than 90 minutes...I did turn them over about half way through the cook and added some more salt & DP...

I didn't cook anything else last night, just had a couple deli ham sandwiches to go with my plate...DELISH!

And I'm one who wouldn't go near a beet until I found out how good fresh, roasted beets can taste!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    looks good, i sometimes just make roasted beets and fennel root. canned beets probably turned more people off to them =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    PSA ... in the interest of saving you some worry and maybe a doctor's visit ... if you eat lots of beets, your urine does turn red ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500

Morning Jeepster 47:

I am fully aware of that already...no over-reaction here :)

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I freaking love beets.  Good work my friend!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    I am fully aware of that already...no over-reaction here :)
    Oh sure, rub it in.  Well, in my defense, I was leaving on a week long trip the next day, so ...

BTW ... neat cook ... will keep that in mind.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    PSA ... in the interest of saving you some worry and maybe a doctor's visit ... if you eat lots of beets, your urine does turn red ...
    mix in some asparagus with the beets and it should turn it back to yellow =)
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    it'll at least stink
    it'll at least stink
    that might work on those racoons =) theres a beer bottle up 30 feet on a tree branch next to the house, how does a baby racoon hold a beer bottle and climb a tree at the same time, i cant do that =)
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Looks great, Jay. Love fresh roasted beets!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    This is very timely. I have a few beets lying around that I was trying to figure out how to cook. Thanks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    SSN686 said:
    EggHatter is trying a new diet that has beets as one of the main items one day so we decided to roast some fresh beets...here they are just put on the small Egg, indirect dome temp just over 400...only some olive oil, salt and DP Shaking the Tree sprinkled on them...

Just took them off after a little less than 90 minutes...I did turn them over about half way through the cook and added some more salt & DP...

I didn't cook anything else last night, just had a couple deli ham sandwiches to go with my plate...DELISH!

And I'm one who wouldn't go near a beet until I found out how good fresh, roasted beets can taste!
    Did you peel the beets first? Or after they were cooked?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I usually boil them in a spicy brine with the skin.  You can remove the skin with your fingers after they're cooked.  I have roasted them before, but I'll peel them first as you want the seasoning on the outside.  I love beets.

Morning Phatchris:

My wife scrubbed them, but didn't cut the skin off (she did cut away some at the top/bottom to remove the "greens", but didn't peel)...once scrubbed well just rub with olive oil and roast...the remaining skin softens up enough that I don't have a problem eating it.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• ShesGotEggs
    ShesGotEggs Posts: 103
    I am trying that tonight! Thanks!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    SSN686 said:

Morning Phatchris:

My wife scrubbed them, but didn't cut the skin off (she did cut away some at the top/bottom to remove the "greens", but didn't peel)...once scrubbed well just rub with olive oil and roast...the remaining skin softens up enough that I don't have a problem eating it.

Beet greens are very tasty as well

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

500 Posts: 3,177
    Thanks.  Now I can't get that song out of my head.  Great lead guitar solo by Eddie Van Halen though. https://youtu.be/JfyI5VkyPVU

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The best beets I've done were small ones, dug mid season. Scrubbed, and then baked encased in canning salt in a pyrex dish. I'd tried earlier by mixing the salt w. water to form a paste, and got a slurry. Useless. Didn't try mixing w. egg white, didn't want to waste the protein. Just misted until the salt was damp. That was enough to crust it up. Turned out really well. After peeling the skins, there was enough salt to flavor them nicely.

Different beets have different flavors. Chiogga beets, which have rings of red and white flesh, tend to be really sweet. I'm growing some golden beets this summer. They tend to have a much milder flavor, and make a wonderful golden beet borscht.
  • ShesGotEggs
    This is what happens when I put something on the egg and walk away thinking I'll be back in a few minutes to regulate the temp. Blackened beets! Luckily, once I pulled the burned skin off, they still tasted pretty good. Thanks for the idea @SSN686!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    This is what happens when I put something on the egg and walk away thinking I'll be back in a few minutes to regulate the temp. Blackened beets! Luckily, once I pulled the burned skin off, they still tasted pretty good. Thanks for the idea @SSN686!
    Once you get the hang of it, you can set the vents where you know it will give you your target temp. It won't save you if you simply leave the food on too long, but at least you won't be cooking at 700° when you wanted 350°. Glad your cook worked out.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ShesGotEggs
    That is a good idea Michael. I will start paying attention to my vents so I know where they need to be!