Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti 50 ice test.

Comments

• it's nice but overpriced
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    it's nice but overpriced
    They are no doubt expensive. But not really overpriced if you want one bad enough and depending on your intended use. I use to say the same thing, but if you want one there is no getting around the price. At the end of the day they are top end coolers. More often than not, top end products usually command a higher price. Just the way it is brother Mask. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    My 65 came with a basket
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • SGH
    RiverDoc said:
    My 65 came with a basket
    Again, from what I have read, the 65 and down should have the basket included on all new Yetis. I don't know why it's not included on the larger models. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    The empty can serves a purpose. Check out the pics. Bottles fit like a glove
  • SGH
    Lowflyer said:

Well I'll be. Now we know what they are for. Thanks for sharing brother flyer. 

Status- Standing by.

• Lowflyer
    My dealer explained it to me @SGH. I had no clue.  I'm sure works well for silver bullet fans too. 
  • SGH
    Lowflyer said:
    My dealer explained it to me @SGH. I had no clue.  I'm sure works well for silver bullet fans too. 
    Thanks for sharing it here. I sure didn't know. Seems like no one else knew either. Does it work well with keeping bottles cold?

Status- Standing by.

• Got this puppy today for this weekend in New Braunfels. 
    Dallas
    XLBGE
    Hook 'Em
  • SGH
    Got this puppy today for this weekend in New Braunfels. 
    That's nice brother. Is it a soft side?

Status- Standing by.

• @SGH Yessir. The Hopper 30. 
    Dallas
    XLBGE
    Hook 'Em
  • SGH
    @SGH Yessir. The Hopper 30. 
    Awesome brother. Hope that you enjoy it. 

Status- Standing by.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2015
    Hopper 20 went camping with us last weekend. It held iced drinks 24 hours, but the ice was nearly gone and the water still ice cold. Finally packed more ice @ 36 hrs That's fine by me worked great on the beach etc. I wonder from reports the 30 with so much more room may be worse on ice retention who knows. For those with polar bear soft side do you hold ice 24+ hours? If so this hopper is just built well and.looks good.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    @SGH Yessir. The Hopper 30. 
    Let me know how it performs once you test it out. I really like the soft sides for several different uses. I picked up some Polar bears a while back at a great price. For the money, they are excellent soft sides. 

Status- Standing by.

• Lowflyer
    SGH said:
    Lowflyer said:
    Thanks for sharing it here. I sure didn't know. Seems like no one else knew either. Does it work well with keeping bottles cold?
    Just picked up on Father's Day when I got my dad a 30 Rambler, no bottles have been tested yet...
  • Lowflyer
    P.S. Love my Yeti 50. Great for the beach condo, but stays put!! 
  • SGH
    Lowflyer said:
    no bottles have been tested yet...
    Now that I know what they are for, bottles will be tested tomorrow for sure. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Lowflyer said:
    P.S. Love my Yeti 50. Great for the beach condo, but stays put!! 
    Brother I debated long and hard on which size to get. In the end the 50 was a no brainer due to the extra depth. Mine will be used for beach outings and wade fishing as well. 

Status- Standing by.

• dboram
    dboram Posts: 54
    We have a Hopper 20. Filled it with 8 cans, a large Yeti ice, and ice cubes at 5:15am.  When I got back in my pickup at 2pm (out in the Texas heat), the ice and cans were frozen in a giant block.  I have always appreciated the portability of a soft side, and now it is nice to finally have a good one.

@SGH Looking forward to the results of your test.
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • SGH
    dboram said:
    We have a Hopper 20. Filled it with 8 cans, a large Yeti ice, and ice cubes at 5:15am.  When I got back in my pickup at 2pm (out in the Texas heat), the ice and cans were frozen in a giant block.  I have always appreciated the portability of a soft side, and now it is nice to finally have a good one.

@SGH Looking forward to the results of your test.
    Question my friend, I saw that Yeti ice that you mentioned above. Is it worth getting or is regular ice better? It reminded me of the old "blue ice". 

Status- Standing by.

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    EGG_Daddy said:
    SGH said:
    EGG_Daddy said:
    Above you said that yours was free. That's about as good as it gets. 
    I live in hotels for work.  I collect a lot of hotel points.  All the suffering in hotels rooms means I deserve a nice Yeti cooler.  I believe you posted the RTIC coolers/political thread.  I already reserved a RTIC Brown 20 for work days.  Thanks for that post.  I probably won't get YETI anymore because of the price. 

can I cash my Holiday Inn points out for a YETI?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2015
    Good question on the yeti ice. If it truly did freeze the ice in the hopper then it must be better than a couple blue ice packs I bought. May pull the trigger. And if the 4 lb yeti ice is the better way to go with the 20?
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    SkinnyV said:
    Good question on the yeti ice. If it truly did freeze the ice in the hopper then it must be better than a couple blue ice packs 
    I agree. If he recommends it I may snatch some of it up for my 50. 

Status- Standing by.

• dboram
    dboram Posts: 54
    It's probably just fancy blue ice with the Yeti name on it, but I have used it regularly in the Hopper and my other Yetis (35 and 75) and it seems to work better than ice alone.  They say it freezes "colder"...whatever...I'm just the sucker that buys stuff like this.  I kinda went overboard and picked up 2 of the smalls and 2 of the large versions.
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • SGH
    bcsnave said:
    can I cash my Holiday Inn points out for a YETI?
    I wish that I could answer that brother but I honestly have no idea about Holiday Inns program. It probably depends on the system that they use. They may only allow you to purchase from certain merchants. If it's a open program then you should be able to purchase from anyone. I would call and ask. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    dboram said:
    I'm just the sucker that buys stuff like this
    Me too. I love spending money. Hence all of the crap that I have. Speaking of buying, I can see me going back and getting a white Yeti 105 quart. I really liked that bad boy. 

Status- Standing by.

• Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    All this Yeti talk.... I jumped on the train to cooler nirvana and ordered a 30 oz rambler. Thanks for directing me to the cool side!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • SGH
    Ivanhoe said:
    ordered a 30 
    You will not regret that decision. The 30 works far better than I anticipated. Since I got it, it is the only cup that I have used since. Wish that they would have came out with these years ago. 

Status- Standing by.

• Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Looking forward to it. Luckily I have some water again to put into it after my pump was sucking air this weekend. 
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE