Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

marinade injection

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have tried several different version of the plastic cook's syringe for use in injecting a marinade. They do not work. They clog on the smallest excuse and they bend and break easily.[p]There has to be a better way.[p]Suggestions?

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Alan Garrison,
    I have the large stainless steel injector,i have never had a problem with it getting clogged.
    YB

[ul][li]Chef Williams injector[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    YB,
    I use the plastic version listed above the commercial. I use that line of marinades as well.
    They have good flavor and I have not had a problem with bending the needle although it does come off of the syringe sometimes. [p]It is important to defrost the turkey before trying to inject it. (Ha)(Sorry, I could not resist.) [p]Out of curiosity, do you primarily inject turkeys for deep-frying or have you expanded your usage.[p]Happy Grilling,
    R&J

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I mainly inject turkeys for frying and some for smoking on the egg.I have also injected chicken wings and pork loins,some times we inject with crab boil and the rest of the time with Chef Williams marinades.
    YB

• Alan Garrison, I got one from Pro Bass in Springfield, Mo. Never a problem, easy clean up, and great cajun chicken if you like it spicy.[p]CWM
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Car Wah Mike,
    Are you whining again???? Car WAH!!!
    I injected a chicken for the first time yesterday. Had problems with clogging...and yes, it is one of those plastic cheapies. I tried adding cracked pepper and other things which gave me a problem. I think most injection marinades have only very finely ground spices. Maybe even the nice ones clog if you use to coarse of a grind on the spices. Not sure.[p]Thanks YB for the link...maybe that is the answer.
    Let me know what you finger out Mike.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Alan Garrison, I had the same problem with the small plastic syringes - not so much bending as constant clogging. Found that straining injector fluid through a tea or other fine mesh strainer helped a lot, but the best solution I found was putting spice mix in one of those little cotton bags used for mulled wine, spiced cider, etc. Eventually got a pro-model stainless injector from Cabela's, and it works great (can pass a whole peppercorn!-well, almost) but it is heavy duty, & I still like the smaller injector for smaller stuff. Injecting has a defintite niche in the Egg arsenal, & I think those who haven't tried it are missing out. Good Luck - ERIC

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Nature Boy, Was in a slight hurry. The only thing I fingered out this weekend was another great brisket. Followed your advice and brisket came out perfect. Pulled with 2 forks and took out to the Chiefs game only to watch them lose. Have been eggsperimenting with fire bricks, sure seems to give a better cook. I'm going to pass on that squid. Last time I went deep sea fishing I caught an eel. Your not going to cook that some way are you?? Going again in 10 days. Would love to catch some grouper or snapper and consult with you on that.[p]CWM

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Glad your brisket worked out! Still my favorite thing to cook. So the Chiefs lost...at least you were there and got the thrill of eating in the shadow of the stadium....is it still called Arrowhead? or did someone pay a few mill to call it something else?[p]You aren't alone in those passing on the squid! Eeels? Never yet had an eel I liked....but that doesn't mean it's too late! Gotta be a way to make it good. [p]Lemme know if you catch some fish. Might be able to give a few tips, but Sprinter and KOC are the experts on cooking fish.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ