Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rate this Steak please

a friend of mine is asking me to split a side of beef with him. He just sent me a picture of a steak he is grilling up. Really doesn't look that great. Not the marble I was used to, but our last beef did grade near prime on its ultrasounds before slaughter. 

XLBGE 

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Looks a little lean to me too.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Not so much.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Looks weird, can't place it but yeah too lean.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    He said "bone in sirloin". 

It it looks so lean. Looks like a liver sheen. 

XLBGE 
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    looks like Texas to me on this one - "El Paso" on this beef steak

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Ditto that. We buy meat the day of or the day before a cook, I'm sure there is a cost savings buying it in bulk but I get exactly what is needed.  
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I like it rare, but that's really under cooked! I kid, I kid. I'm no expert, except at eating beef, but I would not buy that steak at the store. I agree, WAY too lean for me. Maybe really young beef? IDK? Not for me, too risky. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2015
    I'm looking at a picture instead of the actual cut. But I would grade it at Select-. Marbling somewhere in the high 30's to low 40's on the Select- scale. Again I'm looking at a pic and that can make a huge difference.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited July 2015
    It does appear to be a sirloin... but not one I would buy honestly (no offense)...and certainly not a cow id invest in!
    To be fair sirloin isn't a great cut....but there appears to be little or no intermuscular fat... at all!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited July 2015
    You say he is a friend of yours, but IMO he already knows he got screwed and is wanting to cut his loss. I'll give him credit for honesty for sharing that picture as opposed to finding a nice one to use as a sample. Looks like his purchase might be better suited as ground beef.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Acorn said:
    Ditto that. We buy meat the day of or the day before a cook, I'm sure there is a cost savings buying it in bulk but I get exactly what is needed.  
    Then you aren't a potential buyer of a sub-primal of steaks of 12 to 18 pounds to be dry aged by you for 35 to 60 days, huh?  =)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2015
    Feed that cow some grain you damn hippies!   :tongue: 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Yes it does look lean, but if it is a sirloin then it is going to be on the lean side as will the filet IMO.   Have him send you a photo of a ribeye,  that will give you a better idea of marbling.  Little thin for my taste though.  Are the cow's finished with grain or grass?  Grain finished cows will have more marbling. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    We split a half of beef with our friends at the beginning of the year. The sirloin is a little leaner than you get at the store but still delicious. The only mistake we made was not knowing better and not giving the butcher instructions online how we wanted it to be processed. Steaks are a little thin. Great tasting stuff though
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited July 2015
    cazzy said:
    Feed that cow some grain you damn hippies!   :tongue: 
    Gotta watch those Omega 6's Caz.  If it ain't fed on grass, you can stick it up your butt.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    pass
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Sorry dude but I have to agree with @SGH on this one.  Probably a select grade.  I'm no expert but I have spent a lot of time on my wife's family farm and have observed them grading beef many a time.  If I was a professional butcher I could offer a better opinion. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I've seen deer steaks have better marbling than that.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    I've seen deer steaks have better marbling than that.  
    ouch! =)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    For me, the proof would be in the cooked steak.
    I have purchased, and been disappointed by pretty steaks and surprised by steaks that I thought would be less than good.
    A 100% grass fed produced steak will not look grocery store pretty.
    Let us know...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Photo Egg said:
    I have purchased, and been disappointed by pretty steaks and surprised by steaks that I thought would be less than good.
    Let us know...
    He didn't offer me any of the cooked steak!!

Im pass on these cows!

XLBGE 
  • RRP

Im pass on these cows!
    Good idea! Looks like this cow may have jumped from the "tanner" line to the meat line! =)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Photo Egg said:
    Let us know...
    He didn't offer me any of the cooked steak!!

Im pass on these cows!
    I did read your post and understood that it was a picture of your friends steak he was about to cook. That said, if he is a friend, and close enough to split a side of cow that you might be able to get a steak, cook it, and try yourself.
    If the price is right it might be worth a taste test. But it also sounds like you had great luck with your last buy and just know this would not be good.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sirloin is one of the leaner cuts.  I think most people are focusing on the imprint of the bag is was stored in that gives it the shiny sheen, and the steak is thin.  Those aren't qualities of the animal but the butcher and the handling.  People pay good money for grass-fed and it's generally lean.   Conclusion: inconclusive. 
    I don't know about this one.  My guess is someone woke up in a bathtub filled with ice and may be missing some vital organs.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13