Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti 50 ice test.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
As of late I have really been getting into wade fishing. As such, I wanted a medium size cooler to leave locked in the SUV with extra ice and drinks while I'm out in the surf fishing. The cooler will stay in the SUV and I will still use a cheap lightweight cooler  to pull out on the beach while I'm fishing. I already have a 95 quart Pelican but it's overkill and takes up almost all of the room in the back of the SUV. Plus my wife cant hardly lift the Pelican even when it's empty. After looking at several small rotomolded cookers, the depth of the Yeti 50 swayed me in favor of it. It's very deep for its length and width and will hold more ice. When I purchased my Pelican 95 I filled it full of ice and left it sitting outside for 10 days without opening it. At the end of 10 days I opened it up and it had very cold water and a little ice remaining. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination. Fixing to load the Yeti 50 up and see how it compares to the Pelican. No matter how the test goes, I'm keeping it as my wade fishing cooler for all the reasons already stated above. Just want to see how it actually performs compared to the Pelican. On @RRP recommendation, I grabbed a 30oz and a couple of can holders as well. The 30 oz has exceeded all expectations thus far. Thanks for the heads up brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    Can't wait to see how it goes. I have a brand new 65 that still has the plastic on it, I might have to try it also. I do love how your 50 is deeper! Keep posting
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    RiverDoc said:
    Can't wait to see how it goes. 
    I will open it up in 10 days and post pics. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I got the 50 due to th ereasons you stated above. Much more convenient to have it shorter and fatter than longer. Have never tested mine but have left it in the garage after the pool for several days and it kept ice for several days even after a day of opening and closing at the pool and not full of ice to start with. Even my roadie has held a couple days after the pool when it wasn't full to start with. Interested to see your results.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I love the little cans that came with the can koozie...  On the side of the can it reads "Contains 12 oz of Air"....  Smartasses!  I love it!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SGH
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love the little cans that came with the can koozie...  On the side of the can it reads "Contains 12 oz of Air"....  Smartasses!  I love it!
    It sure does. I looked after you posted it above and there it was.

It also has a warning not to drink with bears.  

Status- Standing by.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I gave my wife the tumbler in her Christmas stocking and quickly repossessed it from her.  I love it.  Haven't purchased one of their coolers yet as I have no need (or very little) to keep things cold for such an extended period of time.  Still quite curious to see how your test goes!  Thanks.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    @SGH You will love the 30 so much you may end up with a 20 as well.   I love both of mind
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Love how they have a good smarta$$ streak going thru their marketing dept.!

And as far as not drinking with a bear, didn't Jimmy Buffet warn us of that in "God's Own Drunk"?????

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I texted party monster to sneak out at night and add ice to it. 
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    @SGH You will love the 30 so much you may end up with a 20 as well.   I love both of mind
    After seeing what my 30oz will do, my wife wants a 20oz for coffee. I going to get another 30oz as well. I'm really pleased with it after seeing what it will do down here in this humid heat. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I texted party monster to sneak out at night and add ice to it. 
    I keep a close eye on the party monster. Two when I can ;)
    Are we still friends since I sold out and bought a Yeti? 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yeti is a fine cooler, we're still BFFs, brother.
    Options
     we're still BFFs, brother.
    I was worried for a minute  =)
    i actually really like the looks of the Yeti 50. Seems like it will be about the perfect size for general use.  

Status- Standing by.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Go girl
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SGH
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Go girl
    Thanks, I think.

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    my wife has a 20 for iced coffee and a 30 for ice water, loves them both.  I use my 30 for lots of cold things and love it.  Not loving the colster yet, but it seems most of the beer I have lately is bottles and at least 1/2 of those don't fit well.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @SGH WTH mine didn't come with a basket was that an add on? 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Just as a cautionary reminder, if you use the 30 oz for adult beverages (like me with "Smokey Mikes" at Salado), it can end badly.

It turns out that there is a LOT of booze in a 30 oz cocktail
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SGH
    edited July 2015
    Options
    McStew said:
    No sir. It came as is. With that said, I looked in several of the coolers and some had the basket in them and some didn't. I don't know if the stores will take the basket out and sale them to someone wanting just a basket or what. However I made sure to pick up one with the basket in it. Don't hold me to this, but from what I have read, all new Yetis that are 65 quart and smaller come with a basket. Again, I don't know this to be fact but I have read it on several forums. 

Status- Standing by.

• EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    Options
    Here is my Yeti 75 (free) in the back of my 2007 4Runner.  Perfect fit!  I will eventually attach the plastic sliding feet for maneuvering.  

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• SGH
    Options
    EGG_Daddy said:
    Here is my Yeti 75 (free) in the back of my 2007 4Runner.  Perfect fit!  I will eventually attach the plastic sliding feet for maneuvering.  
    Brother I debated back and forth between the 50, 75 and the 105. All are deeper than standard. I really looked at the 105 extremely hard and about picked it. However I doubt that my wife could move it so I went for the 50. Above you said that yours was free. That's about as good as it gets. 

Status- Standing by.

• EGG_Daddy
    Options
    SGH said:
    EGG_Daddy said:
    Above you said that yours was free. That's about as good as it gets. 
    I live in hotels for work.  I collect a lot of hotel points.  All the suffering in hotels rooms means I deserve a nice Yeti cooler.  I believe you posted the RTIC coolers/political thread.  I already reserved a RTIC Brown 20 for work days.  Thanks for that post.  I probably won't get YETI anymore because of the price. 

• SGH
    Options
    I love the little cans that came with the can koozie... 
    What are the little cans actually for? Just a what not or do they have I use I'm not seeing?

Status- Standing by.

• EGG_Daddy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'd say the cans have no purpose but a marketing factor.  There are instructions and marketing information in the cans.  They let you imagine your beer of choice chilling in the glory of the Colster.  I have not purchased a Colster yet.  I am waiting for them to make a 16oz Colster.  I drink man cans.  

• Danny Noonan
    Options
    SGH said:
    McStew said:
    No sir. It came as is. With that said, I looked in several of the coolers and some had the basket in them and some didn't. I don't know if the stores will take the basket out and sale them to someone wanting just a basket or what. However I made sure to pick up one with the basket in it. Don't hold me to this, but from what I have read, all new Yetis that are 65 quart and smaller come with a basket. Again, I don't know this to be fact but I have read it on several forums. 
    I have a 45 and it came with a basket. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I'm interested in seeing how this turns out as we might be SOL with the RTIC coolers. 
  • SGH
    Options
    I'm interested in seeing how this turns out as we might be SOL with the RTIC coolers. 
    The RTI cooker deal is fine brother Double. Kevin at RTI told me that Yeti had taken them to court and made them change some things. Look at Orca, Grizzly/Bison coolers. All Yeti replicas. No worries my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    SGH said:
    I love the little cans that came with the can koozie... 
    What are the little cans actually for? Just a what not or do they have I use I'm not seeing?
    Stash can brother
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • SGH
    Options
    Roadpuke0 said:
    Stash can brother
    Agreed. 

Status- Standing by.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    20stone said:
    Just as a cautionary reminder, if you use the 30 oz for adult beverages (like me with "Smokey Mikes" at Salado), it can end badly.

It turns out that there is a LOT of booze in a 30 oz cocktail
    I second that. Lol
    Especially chased with 200 Jello-Shots.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas