Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Owner - Lexington, KY

Options
Just got my green egg (bday gift from the wifey). I was able to pick up the large egg for $700 plus tax, felt like I got a good deal. 

Next was the hard part, deciding on building a table or using a nest for a little while. I was looking at used nest's online and saw one for $50 bucks that I felt was in good shape. I was going to use a nest until next summer and then build a table. While I was looking through craigslist, ran across someone selling a Granite & Stucco table. It looks and feels solid and he spent roughly $1,500 to get it built. I was able to pick it up for $300. 

So for $1K, I got a large green egg and granite table. Going to start the grill tonight and use it for the first time. Super excited, have read tons of reviews and watched several recipes on youtube.  Already looking at 2 eggfests to visit this summer.  Shelbyville, KY and Corbin, KY.  Can't believe I did not get an egg sooner.

Thanks everyone on the forums, I researched extensively on these forums for suggestions with tables, accessories, and pricing.

Pics: 

Lexington, KY
Large Green Egg July 2015 - Custom Granite & Stucco Table

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Welcome to the herd. Looks great. And remember, post those cooks.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Great looking table....that is about what I have settled on getting. 

Where did you get your egg?  

Welcome to the eggdiction. I'm right up the road from ya. There are 4 of us eggheads here in the Carroll County that I know of. 

Corbin Moonbow is an awesome event. I cooked there last year. Some great folks in that neck of the woods !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• anish3232
    anish3232 Posts: 35
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Great looking table....that is about what I have settled on getting. 

Where did you get your egg?  

Welcome to the eggdiction. I'm right up the road from ya. There are 4 of us eggheads here in the Carroll County that I know of. 

Corbin Moonbow is an awesome event. I cooked there last year. Some great folks in that neck of the woods !!!
    Got my Egg from Wright's Big Green Egg in Salt Lick, KY.  I was referred by a friend that purchased from him (Roy Wright).  He delivered it to my house.
    Lexington, KY
  • dldawes1
    Options
    If there is anything I can ever help with, please feel free to ask. I'll message my phone number.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great deal and setup.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • anish3232
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    If there is anything I can ever help with, please feel free to ask. I'll message my phone number.

Appreciate that.  I was having some issues getting the top and bottom to align properly, but Roy (Wright's Big Green Egg) told me a way to fix that.  So after work I'm going to try to get it aligned and get it started for the first time.  Heard it was good to get it going at a low temp for a few hours before using it and before using it at higher temps.  Thoughts?
    Lexington, KY
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Welcome aboard my friend! Great looking table and as Hotch said post pics.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    You could do some apps at 250-275 just to get the gasket good and sealed.  As everyone will tell you, you'll fry the gasket eventually so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Start with ABT's and Moink balls.  You can't screw them up and you'll love the flavor.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • dldawes1
    Options
    anish3232 said:
    dldawes1 said:

Appreciate that.  I was having some issues getting the top and bottom to align properly, but Roy (Wright's Big Green Egg) told me a way to fix that.  So after work I'm going to try to get it aligned and get it started for the first time.  Heard it was good to get it going at a low temp for a few hours before using it and before using it at higher temps.  Thoughts?
    I just started cooking on mine immediately. I don't think I really cooked anything at over 350-425 F for quite some time though.  Not because of break-in or anything, just due to learning and eggsperimenting with various recipes at those temps. Getting comfortable and knowledgeable with your damper positions is a must. 

Of course, there again, there will be many versions of the "correct" use of dampers !!!! I only control with bottom damper. I leave the top ( daisy wheel ((DW))) 100% open and never touch it until ready to shut down.

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I like your table. .Does it have casters on it.By the way welcome to the forum.
  • CorbinEgg
    CorbinEgg Posts: 29
    Options
    We would love to have you at Moonbow Eggfest.  Donnie is correct. Moonbow is a great event.  Www.moonboweggfest.com.   Make sure Mr. Dawes shares his blueberry BBQ sauce with you.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to the machine. Lexington is a beautiful area. The cost to get in is nothing like the cost to stay in. You have some relatively close places to get Rockwood lump, with distribution in Danville, Versailles and Frankfort, (I think). Anyway, welcome aboard and have fun. The food is awesome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • anish3232
    edited July 2015
    Options
    luckyboy said:
    I like your table. .Does it have casters on it.By the way welcome to the forum.
    It does have hidden wheels.  Overall theres probably 1" clearance and makes for a clean look.  Here is a picture of where I will use it.  It slides easily under my covered patio when not in use.

Lexington, KY
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Good deal on both.   That table is nice and was a great deal
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • dldawes1
    Options
    CorbinEgg..can't wait brother. Awesome time with awesome folks....got a couple new tricks up my sleeve for this year !!!!!

anish3232...if you are interested in some Rockwood...the best lump on the market...hands down....Give THE DRU ...Mike Drury at Bluegrass Grills a call or message him.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome and nice table pick-up!!  Egging in God's country  =)!  Go Cats and have fun with the new egg.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • anish3232
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments.  Can't wait to really use the grill this weekend.  I am getting most of the meats prepared tomorrow so it will have a good marination process.

Weekend's Menu
    Indian Chicken Tandoori Legs
    Indian Vindaloo Rack of Lamb

Filet Mignon (seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil)
    Asparagus & Other Veggies
    Twice Baked Potatoes 
    Lexington, KY
  • dldawes1
    Options
    anish3232 said:
    Thanks everyone for the comments.  Can't wait to really use the grill this weekend.  I am getting most of the meats prepared tomorrow so it will have a good marination process.

Weekend's Menu
    Indian Chicken Tandoori Legs
    Indian Vindaloo Rack of Lamb

Filet Mignon (seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil)
    Asparagus & Other Veggies
    Twice Baked Potatoes 
    What time do we eat ?   LOL !!   Man that sounds good.  I know your family will be very satisfied.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Welcome!!   Love your setup... You will have a blast...  Look forward to seeing your cook pics..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • anish3232
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Welcome and nice table pick-up!!  Egging in God's country  =)!  Go Cats and have fun with the new egg.

UK Class of 2010 - GO CATS
    Lexington, KY
  • onward_2_victory
    Options
    Welcome to the site and congrats on getting your BGE.  Looks like you've got a great set up!
    Todd - Smoking on my LBGE in Elkridge, MD

GO IRISH!  Onward to Victory!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome again :)

great deal on the table (and on the egg). Waiting for the cook pics - especially the vindaloo lamb!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • anish3232
    Options
    Forgot to mention, added bonus the granite top is the same granite I have in the kitchen.  The wife was very happy with that  =)
    Lexington, KY
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

anish3232 said:

Ouch, class of 1984.  Your killin me ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • anish3232
    Options
    bgebrent said:

anish3232 said:

Ouch, class of 1984.  Your killin me ;)
    Lol not sure the average age of green eggers, but I know I'm one of the youngest of my friends to have one.  =)
    Lexington, KY
  • SwineBelly
    SwineBelly Posts: 14
    Options
    Yeah, I win! Class of '73.
  • dldawes1
    Options
    SwineBelly...where are you located ?

Also welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

• anish3232
    Options
    Quick Question - I'm fairly certain the table is steel of some sort and then stucco to finish.  Should I use a paver or do you believe the nest will be fine?  I turned it on for about 60-90 minutes last night and kept it right around 280-300 and it did not feel hot directly under the egg.
    Lexington, KY
  • dldawes1
    Options
    anish3232...My opinion...no paver is necessary, but I would put one under there just to satisfy my peace-of-mind. (extra ensurance, I guess). 

• anish3232
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    anish3232...My opinion...no paver is necessary, but I would put one under there just to satisfy my peace-of-mind. (extra ensurance, I guess). 
    Only issue I think I will have is the height overall. It's already at the perfect height and if I add a paver it will be a little too high. Currently the counter is 36" high and the handle is mid chest level. I'm roughly 6 ft tall. 
    Lexington, KY