Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis spare ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Asked my wife to pick up some baby backs for me while she was out, and she brought back St. Louis spares instead (there's maybe a lesson to be learned here). I've cooked baby backs many times, but this is my first shot at spare ribs, so 2 questions[p]1 - any good reason to abandon the 3/1/1.5 method, which has treated me so well in the past?[p]2 - There is a sizeable flap of meat/fat covering some of the bones on the back. Is this the "skirt" that some people cut off? If not, what is the skirt?[p]Thanks everyone...hope y'all are in for a pork-tastic Sunday

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DaveinGa,[p]There is a lesson here. The belly ribs are meatier and more flavorful than the loin ribs, not to mention cost less per pound. You'll like 'em.[p]Answers:[p]1. No reason what so ever, if that is what you like.[p]2. That is the skirt. You most likely will need to trim it off flush with the bones so you can remove the membrane. (now you have KC trim ribs) Anyway, rub the skirt and cook alongside the rack of spares and it should be ready for snacking in about 3 hours.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    ribs1.JPG
    <p />DaveinGa,[p]Here's a link to a movie I made - shows how I do spares:[p]It's an AVI file - download then play.[p]Happy Eggin'!
    Chuck

[ul][li]Cookin' Spares[/ul]