Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lid is frozen shut

Options
after a lot of cooking I decided to light a big fire to clean the egg. I tried to open the egg and I get the lid to budge. 

Any ideas? 

Comments

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Your gasket is fried. Get a putty knife and order a Rutland from @RRP
    Dittos on that.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    How much is "a lot of cooking" ?   I've been cooking for 1-1/2 yrs and have never had to do a clean burn.  

For the folks who do clean burns....how do you determine that you need one?  I must be missing something.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Use you putty knife carefully and the gasket will be fine.  my egg is 2 years old, several clean burns with the gasket stuck twice. It is still working great!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Go naked, I have been using my egg for the last few years without a gasket and it works fine.

Gerhard
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    For the folks who do clean burns....how do you determine that you need one?  I must be missing something.
    You may never have needed one.  The only reason I've done some is because I got mold in the Egg when it had been unused for a while (I've had some health problems), and I burned it clean at a high temp.  AND I melted the gasket, sealing the Egg closed, just like the OP in this thread.  I think the BGE gaskets are different now, though.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    I do a clean burn only when I need to replace the gaskets - since there is no reason to worry about melting them at that point. I've got one egg that I've never done a clean burn on in 8 years - so it's just up to you if you want to do one or not (or as @Theophan says - if you've got mold or other funk happening)
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • JT_Thomas
    JT_Thomas Posts: 101
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    How much is "a lot of cooking" ?   I've been cooking for 1-1/2 yrs and have never had to do a clean burn.  

I cooked for about 8 years on mine before I did one.  Food started having off flavors due to all the creosote build up.  Did a clean burn, and it was darn near like new on the inside.

I would assume if you do a lot of hot cooks, you won't need to do one very often, as it will burn it out. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Since an air tight seal is not necessary for a clean burn, why not put spacers between the gaskets when you do a clean burn to keep the surfaces from welding themselves together?

Or would that encourage the fire to seek the nearest wooden handle? Hmmm.

If the bottom vent were nearly closed, air would come in to the fire from the gasket, keeping the gasket cooler, while still feeding the inferno necessary to clean burn the dome.

Thoughts?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Since an air tight seal is not necessary for a clean burn, why not put spacers between the gaskets when you do a clean burn to keep the surfaces from welding themselves together?

Or would that encourage the fire to seek the nearest wooden handle? Hmmm.

If the bottom vent were nearly closed, air would come in to the fire from the gasket, keeping the gasket cooler, while still feeding the inferno necessary to clean burn the dome.

Thoughts?
    Actually that method would nearly assure the destruction of a normal gasket. Let me explain - when a BGE gasket begins to deteriorate it will either crack or have weak areas which allow heat and gases to escape even though they appear to be minute. In time those areas get larger and worst until the original gasket is shot. By propping your dome slightly open during a burn out you are subjecting your gasket to the abuse and rapid destruction. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited July 2015
    Options

JT_Thomas said:
    dldawes1 said:

I cooked for about 8 years on mine before I did one.  Food started having off flavors due to all the creosote build up.  Did a clean burn, and it was darn near like new on the inside.

I would assume if you do a lot of hot cooks, you won't need to do one very often, as it will burn it out. 

Well said. When the crud on the interior of your dome builds up and up it will eventually start to crack and fall on to your food. If you just want to see if a clean burn might be in your future take a ball of foil or even a narrow bladed putty knife to your cold dome interior and see what crud falls off. If none then you are fine, but if what you see turns your stomach you are a candidate for a burn out. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    dldawes1 said:

@didawes1 .. the gunk buildup in my egg was really thick (and sticky) my food and the the smoke had a nasty rancid smell. I've had my egg for 3 yrs

I did a high temp clean burn - problem solved. Yeah I fried my gasket .. but looking back, it was the best thing I could have done. Got a Rutland now .. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    Go naked, I have been using my egg for the last few years without a gasket and it works fine.

Gerhard
    I would recommend wrapping your hot dog in a bun before doing this...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL