Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect Cooking Method

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have given up on finding firebrick splits in this burg . . . I have looked high and low to no avail. Meanwhile, I'm using the Pyrex dish*foil*water method which I learned from Tim M's fine web site. It works well but surely isn't as good as having a ceramic mass under whatever road kill you happen to be cooking. [p]Could anyone out there give me a ball park estimate of what a plate setter would cost . . . and where you could purchase one? Guess that's gonna be my next quest.

Comments

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    bb,Sorry you can't find fire brick,where do you live?couldn't find you in visitors list.I'd send you some splits,but shipping would be rough if you are far from Al. If you can make the EGGFEST in Atlanta I could bring you some.Would like to help if I can. Bob

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    bb,[p]Like Bamabob said, shipping more than doubles the cost of the $2-3 dollar bricks so that buying 5 would cost add $8-9 bucks to the cost.[p]Forget looking in hardware stores. Pick up the phone and start calling fireplace or woodstove stores since these bricks line the fireboxes of them. Then try brick wholesalers or brick yards. [p]The Plate Setter is available from BGE and is in the $40 area which even makes shipping bricks look good I guess. [p]Tim
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    bb,[p]I would second Tim M's approach. I stopped in at a local tuckpointer and asked if I could buy 3 firebricks from him. He found them and when I aked what he wanted for them, he told me not to worry about it.[p]Jethro
  • bb, too bad about not being able to find fire bricks, but most Menard's carry them for about $11 for a box, so is there a larger city around? I do own a plate sitter (PS14) and am quite happy with it. I paid $29.95 from my local dealer. I just got off the phone with Keith in Atlanta BGE and he quoted me the $29.95 + 15.00 + additional for the actual shipping, so you're better off going the dealer route. The advantage is they absorb the problem of shipping as the PS14 has a tendency to break in transit, but they ship them along with the dealers BGE order so that's not the same problem as a single customer faces. Good luck! ^oo^~

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    bb, I just about gave up finding fire bricks. Then took a chance a pulled into a fireplace company that installed for new homes. Bingo they had tons. I may have paid to much ($1 a brick) but supply and demand does seem to run the country. Hope you find some, it has made some of my cooking a lot easier and better.[p]CWM
  • Tim M,[p]Looks like I'm going to have to use my Pyrex dish covered with foil (like in your web site) for the time being. There just isn't a split to be had in this town. We have a very large Acme Brick yard here and even they don't have them (they do, but in a larger size; 4.5x9x3). [p]The plate setter is a little pricey compared to the splits . . . but maybe not since I can't find any.