Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grove Lump

Ran out of RW and did not have time to go get more and grabbed a bag of Grove to smoke 20 lbs of butt.  First time I have been below 250 for a low and slow.  My question is do different brands of lump burn different?  Anyone ever use Grove before?  In my opinion not too bad but not as neutral as RW.

Comments

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    I would think different brands burn differently but have no scientific proof.  All I use is Grove lump.  I love the smoke flavor from it.  It's top notch in my opinion.  
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Tbla
    Tbla Posts: 57
    I think there can be a difference.  I bought a bag of Cowboy   Not my best purchase.   It seemed to take longer to get to temp.  It worked ok for a long smoke. But, I tried a pizza the next day and had a hard time getting over 425.   I think part was my fault for not clearing it out.   There was a LOT of small pieces  left.   Also - it seemed like a lot more ashes.   I don't think I was getting the air flow.  I tried again with all new - but there was till a lot of small pieces.     Switched to Royal Oak - and heats much better again.     I got 5 bags of RW coming from Firecraft.   I expect that to be much better.   
    Woodbury, MN.   LBGE, Weber gasser, ECB