Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Here - In the middle of my first smoke on the BGE (Pics)

Options
45Fan
45Fan Posts: 24
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum

I just wanted to say Hello and Thank You all for the advice, I have been creeping here for sometime.  I built a UDS several years ago and it finally burned out so my wonderful wife bought my a BGE for our 25 wedding anniversary.  Just picked it up yesterday and grilled some low temp burgers yesterday (trying to play nice with the gasket) and started an 8lb. Pork Butt this morning at about 530a.  I have to say after years of running the UDS this big green egg thing is a little boring... I like that!  :)  I have been pleasantly surprised at how little I have had to adjust to keep the temp in line.  Still in the middle of the stall (one of the longest I have had) on this butt, but I will just have another Sam Adams and bide my time.  The pork always looses ... ;)

I do have a couple of questions, how concerned should I be with keeping the temp under 350 for starters?  Do you think I should be good after the smoke?

We bought the place setter, a Looflighter, and a nice set of therms with the remote.  I would like to get the pizza stone at some point but I would love suggestions on accessories that are worth the money and effort.  I have been grilling a long time and some of the egg stuff they had .... I wasn't even sure what half of it was for?!

Thank you so much for any advice,  I look forward to getting to know you all and I hope I can contribute from time to time.

The two loudest sounds in the world is a click that should have went bang and a bang that should have went click.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Hell of a gift-you are one lucky SOB.  And SWMBO deserves top marks for the BGE.  All that said, here's some info that you may find of value;

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm 

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/ 

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

The above is more than enough to get you started. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    Pics man!   We need pics!!   Oh..... Welcome to the madness
  • 45Fan
    Options

Hey Thanks for the advice and welcomes!  I appreciate the great advice!  I should have checked the therms you are exactly correct.  I thought about that this morning after I washed the ends.  I have generally always cooked brisket by feel with a probe more than temp, it is probably not the right way but that was how I was taught to do it.  I will make sure to adjust the therms be for I use them again!  Thanks much for the welcome and advice. 

Marysvilleegger, I will see if I can figure this out and get some food pron up for you!  Thanks for asking!

The two loudest sounds in the world is a click that should have went bang and a bang that should have went click.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Feel is the deal-and if it worked before it is all good now. The cow doesn't care :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 45Fan
    Options
  • 45Fan
    Options

• 45Fan
    Options
    Here is the Egg, The Dog, and the Pork.  Sorry I misspoke with the brisket, it is the feel of "butta" on pork this weekend.  I am going to do a brisket next weekend!  I really do appreciate the welcomes!  Thanks Much!
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2015
    Options
    BTW-neither does the pig... :peace: 
  • JC_EggRookie
    Options
    Welcome aboard! You'll find this site to be filled with VERY generous folks who give nothing but encouragement and knowledge. Working on a butt as I type and waiting through a "stall". One thing I have started doing is keeping a journal of what I am doing and rating my results. Too many times I have seasoned meats on the fly and perhaps done a turbo to expedite things and 2 months down the road my wife says "smoke it like you did last time". My memory sucks and this has been a big help. Happy Eggin'!   
    Still a Rookie after 3 years and always will be learnin'. Love my LBGE!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Welcome... Enjoy !!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Good luck man!  I feel like the egg does Boston butt better than anything else I have cooked one on.  You'll be very happy with the end results. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    First off welcome. With as much experience as you have I'm sure you will settle in nicely here. Whatever you do, don't tie the dog to the egg, otherwise you may find your self devastated.

Good looking pork butt.  I wouldn't worry to much about the gasket. Unless you just enjoy the process of changing the gasket you will contact @RRP to get a Rutland gasket on there and probably never worry about it again.

Welcome to the asylum.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Welcome!   For excellent products from a  fellow Egger.      http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/     If you are not sure what setup is best for your needs Tom will have a conversation with you to figure that out.

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• 45Fan
    Options
    First off welcome. With as much experience as you have I'm sure you will settle in nicely here. Whatever you do, don't tie the dog to the egg, otherwise you may find your self devastated.

Good looking pork butt.  I wouldn't worry to much about the gasket. Unless you just enjoy the process of changing the gasket you will contact @RRP to get a Rutland gasket on there and probably never worry about it again.

Welcome to the asylum.

Thanks for all of the welcomes!  I have read a little about the Rutland gasket.  I need to get one of those pdq, from what I hear the one I have is not long for this world.

Thanks so much again!

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Well RRP is the gasket guru around here. Just find him and ask. Welcome. I too had a UDS. All i can say is ceramic is like going from trusty truck to Humvee 1. Almost nothing you cant accomplish. Welcome to the crazy train. And don't buy a thing for your egg except food for awhile. In time you will know and save cash
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • 45Fan
    Options
  • 45Fan
    Options

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me!  Great job! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • 45Fan
    Options

First butt for me on the BGE.  Turned out nice, the stall was a little longer than I anticipated but I think that was the pig.  I wish I had better pics but I ran it as long as I could and by the time I was taken pics my wifes family was standing around with buns waiting..so this is what I have.

Flavor was great!  Thanks for looking!

• 45Fan
    Options
    Thanks Grillin-beers! 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Man that looks good!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • 45Fan
    Options
    Thanks Tarheel! 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Great pics of a successful cook.
    You rode the stall right to the end.
    Also,  welcome aboard.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice job brother!!  Looks to be delicious!!  Welcome aboard the crazy train!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Nice work and welcome.  Sounds like you got some good stuff to start with.  I love my looftlighter.  If you like lots of bark on that pork, split it in half plus you'll have a shorter cook.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • JC_EggRookie
    Options
    Great job on your cook, looks good. We're approaching our 15th hour on our butt and my patience is wavering but I will hold out. My 4th butt but the first time I haven't pulled early to eat dinner. Love your dog too, we also have a Jack.
    Still a Rookie after 3 years and always will be learnin'. Love my LBGE!
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Like to see it. Best accessory for the Egg is a faithful canine companion. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Looks like a winner. Comgrats
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.