Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

scrapple yummmmmmm

Options
2»

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Lips and anuses........... :)

It's standard diner fare here in NJ, but it's an acquired taste. I pass on it.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Goetta is pretty good.... Cincinnati 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    QingEsq said:
    As a proud Pennsylvania Dutchy, I can honestly say that I have never heard this much love for scrapple in my life.  I thought it was fading away (along with alot of regional cuisine) because those not eligible for AARP just don't eat it much in my experience.  Hell, we all rebeled against it when I was a kid and neither I nor my buddies ever developed a taste for it.  However, some other regional pork products the I like: (1) ring bologna, (2) Lebanon bologna and (3) pork roll.  

Man that’s odd, I’m 10 minutes away from you & couldn’t report more of an exact opposite history; growing up (right down the road from the original Habbersett factory no less) not only didn’t we rebel against it we all loved it & still do.  I don’t really remember anyone not liking it, it was as much a part of breakfast life as bacon, eggs & pancakes…  It wasn’t until I left the area for college in western PA that I realized what a local thing it was & how the un-indoctrinated looked at it with horror & disgust.  I lived in an off-campus house for a couple years & two of my roommates were also from the Philly area, we had it shipped up to us somewhat regularly & cooked it all the time to the disdain of our western PA roommates hahaha – **** them

Try it on a pizza with caramelized onions, it’ll change your opinion

Is it too late to enter that pie in the pizza throw down?  Maybe when the next one rolls around, you can post the pic!

seriously -- that pizza looks like the best I've seen. Nice work. Need me one of those!!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Mmm...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    henapple said:
    That crap is nasty.... 
    @henapple, just wash it down with a PBR or 20. You'll be fine. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    DMW said:

Zip's pizza looked pretty good. Now I'm not so sure! :rofl: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I like it sliced 1/4" thick, pan fried hard, and put in an egg sandwich with ketchup. If on the side of eggs, I spread on apple butter.
    Neighbors friend makes some when they butcher in the winter. He usually drops a lb or 2 off  at the house for me.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm more of a slice thin and cook it till its chewy. Don't like it crispy but thick cuts are ok also. 

Also the pizza posted above looks AWESOME. 
  • syl
    syl Posts: 16
    Options
    Here's another regional delicacy - and oh boy is it good - goetta. Pronounced "get-uh", it is only found in the Cincinnati area. Similar to scrapple, it's primarily eaten as a breakfast food (I had it this morning with eggs!). We are downriver from the folks in Pennsylvania who eat scrapple, and the area was also settled by pork-loving Germans. There are Goetta festivals every summer down by the river. Yum.      
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/goetta-the-cincinnati-german-american-breakfast-staple.html

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    syl said:
    Here's another regional delicacy - and oh boy is it good - goetta. Pronounced "get-uh", it is only found in the Cincinnati area. Similar to scrapple, it's primarily eaten as a breakfast food (I had it this morning with eggs!). We are downriver from the folks in Pennsylvania who eat scrapple, and the area was also settled by pork-loving Germans. There are Goetta festivals every summer down by the river. Yum.      
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/goetta-the-cincinnati-german-american-breakfast-staple.html

I've heard about it and would love to try some.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    How about ponhaus?  I've never had it but hear that they make it with the stuff that doesn't go into scrapple!  =)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Never had scrapple, but here in the Midwest we love snipe.  Took the kids out snipe hunting last week and got four!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015