Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon HELP!!!!

Options
Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen so many great recipes for salmon on the forum that I'm confused. I see direct and indirect grill, temperature rannging from 225 up to 350-375 and cooking times from 12 minutes each side to cooking it all without turning for up to 45 minutes. Need to have this sorted out. I'm doing salmon on the egg tonight. Please help!! What method do I use - simple/easy. Thanks - waiting for some help on this one.

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Doug,[p]Salmon can be cooked hot and fast or low and slow. I do skin-on fillets at 225 for just under an hour, with alder or fruit wood for smoke. Lots of simple/easy preparations: one of my favorites is marinating in bourbon & brown sugar, with a dash of soy. Dry rubs work well too.[p]Cathy
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    donesal.jpg
    <p />Doug,[p]Many opinions will follow. I will be doing my favorite at EggFest next week. The whole filet marinated at least 4 hrs in a good robust teriaki sauce such as Angostura. Just before cooking, I'll dry the flesh and liberally "paint" on a coating of Jack Daniels or Makers Mark (whichever I didn't drink the night before) followed by a drizzle of maple syrup. Then on to a 250* Egg direct over the coals and skin side down. About an hour should be enough until it flakes nicely with a fork and just starting to form a light crust.
    I'll use alder and guava chips as firespice.[p]K~G

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Can't wait until next week ... that sound GREAT![p]Smokey

• char buddy
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Hey Kenny I want to try your recipe. Tell me a little more about the teriaki marinade. Just buy a bottle of angostura and dump it on the salmon in a big? Or what? [p]Pics look good.
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    sal123.jpg
    <p />char buddy ,[p]You're correct. Just pick up a bottle of Angostura. I use zip loc freezer bags for most of my marinading. The largest (2.5 gallon) size will usually hold a pair of full salmon filets. Pour in enough teriaki to moisten both sides and splash in a little J.D. or whatever at this time. Push out the air and zip it shut and take to the fridge. 8 hours of marinading is perfect. Right before cooking, dry the fresh with paper towels and paint on more J.D. with a basting brush and then the syrup. This particular batch was smoked on a "foreign" cooker since I was having a party and Humpty was working on a boston butt.[p]Good luck and hope you enjoy.[p]K~G

• char buddy
    Options
    KennyG,[p]thanks buddy. [p]We are only a few hours away from trying a drunk (Knox Creek bourbon), teriyaki salmon.
  • char buddy
    Options
    KennyG,[p]thanks buddy. [p]We are only a few hours away from trying a drunk (Knox Creek bourbon), teriyaki salmon.