Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Blackened catfish filets....

BrobearBrobear Posts: 43
edited 1:27PM in EggHead Forum
Well, for the last four years of egging, I have never put a cast iron skillet on the egg. I had been having great results concerning catfish filets with a fishbasket. Tonight, after reading a couple of posts earlier in the week, I put the iron skillet on. I heated the egg and skillet up to around 650. I prepared the filets with a little initial tobasco sausce, brushed with melted butter, then coated with Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom. I tell you what, those were the best filets ever. I don't have an exact cook time, but it was around 3-4 minutes or so per side, then flip again for a couple of more minutes. If you have never tried it, it is worth it.[p]Happy egging
·

Comments

• jwirlwindjwirlwind Posts: 319
    Brobear,
    And the next time you fry in the Egg, use lard for the fish. You will see a big difference in taste. [p]Chef Jerry

·
  • GenesGrillGenesGrill Posts: 308
    Brobear,
    I haven't tried a skillet on the egg yet, but in the past when I want blackened catfish, I fired up my fish gas fish cooker and put a cast iron skillet on it. NO grease, and get it very hot. Put a little butter on the filets then apply Paul Prudhomme's blackened fish seasoning. Cook two minutes on each side, and that's it.........

·
  • GenesGrill,
    I wonder with nothing in the cast iron while it is getting hot and you toss the filets on, doesn't it hurt the cast iron from shock?

·