Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plan to turbo my butt and have a question or three....

Options
First off....I understand that when cooking a butt you go by either internal temp or probe tender.....that being said how long, minutes/hours per pound, will a boneless butt take at 325*? Just looking for an educated guess for planning purposes... Butt in question is about 6.5 pounds.

Comments

• rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    I'm interested in knowing if you can turbo more than one butt at a time.......I just did one for 41/2 hours at 350 and it was great......Used the igrill 2 to cook til 190 internal.....ftc'dmfor an hour, pulled and it was superb!!!!

Question is can I add my other grate and do 2 8 lb butts using the same method......I'm sure I'll have to eventually buy another probe for the igrill 2........butt it worked flawlessly the first time on the one 8'lb butt......
    Berlin, Maryland
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I would guess at 4-5 hours.  If you foil it, you can speed thing along a bit
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    TURBO BUTTS

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    ·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, 
    then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil. Also good with the coffee rub. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    First off....I understand that when cooking a butt you go by either internal temp or probe tender.....that being said how long, minutes/hours per pound, will a boneless butt take at 325*? Just looking for an educated guess for planning purposes... Butt in question is about 6.5 pounds.
    40 to 45 minutes per pound at 350 works for me. Cook to an IT of 200 if you plan to FWC. Otherwise I go to 203. BTW with a turbo I never foil during the cook. Foiling seems to ruin the bark for me on a turbo and rushing the stall isn't needed as it doesn't even blink. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.