Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bought cedar for my table on friday bought my egg on sat

Comments

• scottn83
    scottn83 Posts: 117
    thebbb said:
    If you ever want to move it...even for the ease of clean-up.

?
    hello all I live in KY Bourbon country so I love my makers, love my egg but still love my wife the most
  • scottn83

Wolfpack said:
    If the drawers are going to hold anything even remotely warm may want something else.  Not that you would put a hot plate setter in there but just a thought

Table looks great- welcome aboard

nothing hot going in the drawers
    hello all I live in KY Bourbon country so I love my makers, love my egg but still love my wife the most
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    scottn83 said:
    I was wondering about sitting the egg on a slab of concrete.  The plan is to pour a concrete slab to sit the egg on do i need the feet or can i set the egg directly on the concrete
    You need the feet between the egg and the concrete.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• scottn83
    where the hell can i find them

• Toxarch
    A table nest from the dealer would be the best option. They aren't that expensive. Ceramic pot feet from Lowes is a cheap alternative.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• scottn83
    Toxarch said:
    A table nest from the dealer would be the best option. They aren't that expensive. Ceramic pot feet from Lowes is a cheap alternative.
    Thanks didnt know they even had this I ordered one today
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677

I have always been intrigued by the Shop Smith machines. My back ground is in traditional wood working tools.
    Did you purchase it new? The people that I have seen that have one either inherited it or came by it some other way rather than purchasing it. They really weren't interested in woodworking.

What are your thoughts on the Shop Smith? 

• scottn83
    GregW said:

I have always been intrigued by the Shop Smith machines. My back ground is in traditional wood working tools.
    Did you purchase it new? The people that I have seen that have one either inherited it or came by it some other way rather than purchasing it. They really weren't interested in woodworking.

What are your thoughts on the Shop Smith? 

I bought mine new about 20 yrs ago and have upgraded the tables got the jointer and bandsaw then bought the planner used recently. I really like the shop Smith its a quality tool. I have built everything thing from cabinets to baby beds to potato boxes . That being said if I had the space for individule tools I think I would perfer that.

• thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    scottn83 said:
    thebbb said:
    If you ever want to move it...even for the ease of clean-up.

?
    As far as feet for the cabinet, I meant to say I would consider wheels.
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • scottn83
    A little progress today got the rest of the drawers and draw fronts finished
  • scottn83

• amazing. You have a gift sir. A true gift. That is a beautiful table. 
  • scottn83
    still debating on top I think i am going to build it out of redwood 2x4 and then take my time and make some kinda funky concrete countertop with lighting built in Thanks snoqualmeismoker
  • Newsguy
    Newsguy Posts: 26
    edited July 2015
    Came to look after seeing your email about the finish. This is going to be one nice table...big too. The cedar is beautiful. Wait til you see the look when you apply the varnish...if that's what you end up using. What are you going to use as a top?
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    That is going to be a very nice table. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • scottn83
    edited July 2015
    Newsguy said:
    Came to look after seeing your email about the finish. This is going to be one nice table...big too. The cedar is beautiful. Wait til you see the look when you apply the varnish...if that's what you end up using. What are you going to use as a top?
    How well did the varnish you use hold up to the sun. I am going to start with a cedar top but after some more research going to pour a concrete top 
  • scottn83
    well I have decided to just go for the concrete top. Crossing my fingers haven't ever did this before.  If it works I will have about 150 bucks in it beats 700 for a granite top.   Had to drive 120 miles round trip this morning to buy the counter top mix.  So didn't get a lot done but did get the form build.  It needs to be caulked and then poured yet.  I was hoping the caulking would have been done today and pour tomorrow.  Didn't get there and now i have been called into work in the morning hopefully only a couple of hours so i can get r done tomorrow.  A few pics of my work today.
  • scottn83

• scottn83
    cut out for the egg hole
  • scottn83
    Form done just needs to be caulked

• scottn83
    table not done but still cooking on the egg ready to go
  • scottn83

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Looks great and the table looks good also. 
  • scottn83
    done
  • scottn83
    got my form caulked waiting for it to cure so i can pull off the excess caulk 
  • scottn83

• Toxarch
    Are concrete counter forms reusable or are they a 1 time use? I wonder if a few people who lived close to each other got together could they build say 3 counter tops and split the costs and labor.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• scottn83
    Toxarch said :
    Are concrete counter forms reusable or are they a 1 time use? I wonder if a few people who lived close to each other got together could they build say 3 counter tops and split the costs and labor.
    no labor cost here I am not sure if the forms are reusable I can let you know after i pour, different sizes will be a challenge but melamine is only about 30 bucks a sheet. I am going to have about 150 bucks in a 2x8 top plus a 2x2 to set the egg on.  It has been a two day project so far and havent mixed the concrete yet. So as far as getting together to do it may be hard but if you have someone close maybe they can get together build the forms/caulk then when the forms are ready split the cost of a mixer and pour but the next problem is moving the top from one place to another. I am going to cast mine on top of the table and just turn it over so i dont have to move it at all.
  • scottn83
    after cleaning up the caulk still needs some clean up but close
  • scottn83