Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

scrapple yummmmmmm

I posted this in another thread and decided to create a separate one to get comments. Would like to know of some other regional foods out there. List away

So a few years back some friends and I took an RV trip to Jacksonville to watch Maryland in the gator bowl. We made it to Savannah for last call and had a great night. When we got moving the next day we went to a bob Evans or Cracker Barrel (can't remember which one it was) for breakfast I tried to order scrapple. I was way hung over and needed something good to straighten me up. Waitress looked at me and said "I'm not sure what you are talking about but we don't have that".  I looked at her and said stop fu##ing with me I just want some scrapple. Then one of my friends looked at me and said they don't know about scrapple here. So I had to apologize and order bacon. I then told that below NC scrapple is an unknown thing to them. Man they just don't know what they are missing. 

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    We have scrapple frozen here in the Midwest, I've never tried it but considering I eat nearly anything that doesn't have olives in it I might have to give it a go.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited July 2015
    Oh, now I want scrapple bad. I have some in the freezer, just might have to get it out for breakfast.

Edit: done, looking forward to breakfast.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    All I've ever heard about scrapple makes me glad I've never even seen it! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    @dmw I always thought freezing scrapple changed the texture.

RAPA scrapple is only about 15 minutes away from my house. I need to go knock on there door and tell them they need to change the recipe. I do cheat every now and again but I'm not supposed to eat it as it had flour in it. Which makes it NOT GLUTEN FREE but I will deal with the consequences because it's good. Also RAPA makes one with bacon that is great. 

I may just go to the store in the morning and get some as I really want it. We will see. 
  • DMW
    Firemanyz said:
    @dmw I always thought freezing scrapple changed the texture.

RAPA scrapple is only about 15 minutes away from my house. I need to go knock on there door and tell them they need to change the recipe. I do cheat every now and again but I'm not supposed to eat it as it had flour in it. Which makes it NOT GLUTEN FREE but I will deal with the consequences because it's good. Also RAPA makes one with bacon that is great. 

I may just go to the store in the morning and get some as I really want it. We will see. 
    Got some a pork order from a butcher that included some bacon, sausage, and scrapple. I've never had frozen before, we'll see what it's like.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Firemanyz
    edited July 2015
    @Carolina Q you just don't know what you are missing. There is this one bar in DC that we would got to in the morning when we got off from work. We would get Scrapple Cheeseburgers, they are awesome. 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    I've never heard of it and had to look it up. I think that's what we call potted meat in the south.
  • Firemanyz
    edited July 2015
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

in my opinion no where near what potted meat is. 
  • DMW
    @Firemanyz - How do you like your scrapple? I like to smother with ketchup and smash it all up with a fork and eat it with runny eggs and toast. Dang, I'm getting fat just thinking about it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    As a proud Pennsylvania Dutchy, I can honestly say that I have never heard this much love for scrapple in my life.  I thought it was fading away (along with alot of regional cuisine) because those not eligible for AARP just don't eat it much in my experience.  Hell, we all rebeled against it when I was a kid and neither I nor my buddies ever developed a taste for it.  However, some other regional pork products the I like: (1) ring bologna, (2) Lebanon bologna and (3) pork roll.  
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • DMW
    QingEsq said:
    As a proud Pennsylvania Dutchy, I can honestly say that I have never heard this much love for scrapple in my life.  I thought it was fading away (along with alot of regional cuisine) because those not eligible for AARP just don't eat it much in my experience.  Hell, we all rebeled against it when I was a kid and neither I nor my buddies ever developed a taste for it.  However, some other regional pork products the I like: (1) ring bologna, (2) Lebanon bologna and (3) pork roll.  
    And sweet bologna.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• What's scrapple?...  

Tri-tip is big in California... Plus lots of good Mexican food - carnitas, al pastor, lengua,
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • Firemanyz
    @qingesq I'll give pork roll a second. I had never had it until I came back to our beach house in Dewey Beach DE one night loaded and there was someone in the kitchen cooking it. I went all in and I think I probably ate a pound of it. I need to check it out again as it may be gluten free. It's been awhile since I had that also. 
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Ok.   Seriously what is scrapple?  You know how behind the times us southerners are....
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Firemanyz
    @bo31210 I put a link to the Wikipedia definition a few posts back. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Big fan here -- transplanted Delawhereian, adopted scrapple whole hoggedly. For best results, cook it hard on a flat top griddle (anyone have one of those??) and serve under 2 eggs over easy.  Ketchup is a must. Hot sauce (thin, vinegar style like Tx Petes) optional.  

There's a place here at the beach that has fancied it up -- scrapple empanadas served with an onion maple syrup marmalade. Not for me. After the 5th order, ive pretty much decided to go back to traditional diner scrapple. Pretty much.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803

Firemanyz said:
    @qingesq I'll give pork roll a second. I had never had it until I came back to our beach house in Dewey Beach DE one night loaded and there was someone in the kitchen cooking it. I went all in and I think I probably ate a pound of it. I need to check it out again as it may be gluten free. It's been awhile since I had that also. 
    +1 on pork roll.  +2 on Dewey Beach!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Southern food:

fried okra, fried squash, GOOD. Buttermilk biscuits and sawmill gravy, fried poke sallet, poke sallet greens, ramps
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    QingEsq said:

Man that’s odd, I’m 10 minutes away from you & couldn’t report more of an exact opposite history; growing up (right down the road from the original Habbersett factory no less) not only didn’t we rebel against it we all loved it & still do.  I don’t really remember anyone not liking it, it was as much a part of breakfast life as bacon, eggs & pancakes…  It wasn’t until I left the area for college in western PA that I realized what a local thing it was & how the un-indoctrinated looked at it with horror & disgust.  I lived in an off-campus house for a couple years & two of my roommates were also from the Philly area, we had it shipped up to us somewhat regularly & cooked it all the time to the disdain of our western PA roommates hahaha – **** them

Try it on a pizza with caramelized onions, it’ll change your opinion

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    QingEsq said:
    I'm all-in for the Lebanon bologna! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Wow that scrapple pizza looks amazing!  I much prefer Rapa brand also
  • Carolina Q
    Does scrapple taste like anything the rest of us might know? Serious question. I have never tried or even seen the stuff.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Growing up in the midwest, I had never heard of scrapple.  My daughter went to college in Philadelphia. Got introduced to it on one of my visits.  My local butcher here in se FL actually carries it. It is now in the rotation for breakfast meats along with bacon and sausage.    
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Does scrapple taste like anything the rest of us might know? Serious question. I have never tried or even seen the stuff.
    Nope, which is why it's so coveted by those that love it; it's a truly unique experience that simply cannot be satisfied any other way

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Firemanyz said:
    Would like to know of some other regional foods out there. List away
    I grew up near Minnesota, my Mom was from Truman, and the biggie for Norwegian holidays was lutefisk.  This is a white fish that is soaked in lye, and then soaked in several changes of fresh water to remove the lye.  It tastes okay, but the texture is really disgusting (it slides down your throat by itself before you can swallow it) and I never got into it.  
    My family never made scrapple but my college roommate (also from MN) brought some back from the farm and cooked it up, I liked it.
    My favorite dish in New Mexico was huevos rancheros, a fried corn tortilla topped with fried eggs, then a sauce made from either green or red chiles (or you could order "Christmas", some of each) then topped with cheese; refried beans and flour tortillas on the side.  I get a bushel of green chile every summer and keep my freezer stocked; good stuff!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited July 2015
    Think of it as another version of a pork sausage. The addition of cornmeal and/or buckwheat gives it a soft creamy texture. You can cook it up crispy like bacon or leave a smooth creamy interior, all depends on your preference.  Flavor profile varies with who is making it. Different folks add different spices. Generally it is a mild flavor. 

If you want to try it, look for a market that handles Dietz & Watson products. They make a version of scrapple that should be available to any of their vendors in your area. It freezes well. My local butcher has had some trouble keeping it in stock. I usually buy several packages and freeze them until needed.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Zippylip said:
    Nope, which is why it's so coveted by those that love it; it's a truly unique experience that simply cannot be satisfied any other way
    Thanks, Marc. If I ever see any, I'll give it a shot. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    I am happy to hear that there are apparently still many folks keeping regional cuisine like scrapple alive.  For those asking what it is and what it's like, you can try it.  Here is a link to the PA general store which will ship scrapple and other PA based products http://www.pageneralstore.com/product/LeidyScrapple

Looking forward to hearing about other regional foods.  

@Zippylip I would happily try your scrapple pizza.  It is a nice looking pie!
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    We got sweet tea and spam.   Yall got unsweet tea and scrapple.    Is that a good comparison?   
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That crap is nasty.... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN