Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some good Vibes from my BGE Fam.

Options
Sookie
Sookie Posts: 335

So this week all of a sudden our pilot light won't stay lit on our hot water heater, and now our AC won't stop blowing the breaker.  In St. Louis.  Where our heat index got up to 105 degrees today and humidity is not our friend.  We just got done with a plumbing repair that was closer to 10K in cost than 5....

God is really trying to keep me from buying BGE gadgets!!  Seriously though they are coming out tomorrow to see what is wrong.  If you could send me some good mojo (hoping repairs are relatively easy/not crazy expensive) I would appreciate it. 

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sorry to hear of all your home problems.  Sending good, positive vibes your way!  Get that Egg fired up with some comfort food in it!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Good mojo on the way!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Hopefully it is just a thermocouple on the water heater, on a non fvir style... 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 @ChillyWillis.  No pun brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    On the plus side, you can just fill up some buckets with water and put them outside and you'll have hot water ;)

Pilot light is not an expensive fix. Usually it's clogged or the regulator needs replacing.

Your AC - if it blows the breaker when the compressor turns on, you may have a bad start capacitor.  These cost about $10 and you can put one on in minutes.  Also, check the wiring for loose connections. 

http://www.pitzersonehour.com/blog/article/why-does-my-air-conditioner-keep-tripping-my-homes-circuit-breaker/

I installed our HVAC system myself.  I encourage people to try to learn and repair their own appliances.

Options
    If the pilot is yellow looking bang on the assembly with a wrench, it can jar any debris out of the line, or you can take it off from the valve and blow it out.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    On the plus side, you can just fill up some buckets with water and put them outside and you'll have hot water ;)

Pilot light is not an expensive fix. Usually it's clogged or the regulator needs replacing.

Your AC - if it blows the breaker when the compressor turns on, you may have a bad start capacitor.  These cost about $10 and you can put one on in minutes.  Also, check the wiring for loose connections. 

http://www.pitzersonehour.com/blog/article/why-does-my-air-conditioner-keep-tripping-my-homes-circuit-breaker/

I installed our HVAC system myself.  I encourage people to try to learn and repair their own appliances.

Our oven quit working a couple years back, wife though she was getting a new one. I replaced the igniter...

Our dryer starter screaming like a banshee, she thought she was getting a new one. I replaced the bearing...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Fire up the egg and throw some onions or something on there. If you have bacon in the house, throw it on there. Open all your doors and let the smell fill the house....everything will naturally get better !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Sookie
    Options

You guys are the best!  Thanks for the good words!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Your AC problem sounds like ours last month - repairman starts off the conversation without seeing anything saying  "it's probably your compressor and we will have to either rebuild or replace it!" I said "WHOA, buddy - last time we had the same issue it was the capacitor so let's start there!" Sure enough that was it and the replacement took all of 10 minutes and it wouldn't have been that long if he hadn't stopped to talk on his phone helping a newbie figure out a problem! Good luck with yours!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    RRP said:
    Your AC problem sounds like ours last month - repairman starts off the conversation without seeing anything saying  "it's probably your compressor and we will have to either rebuild or replace it!" I said "WHOA, buddy - last time we had the same issue it was the capacitor so let's start there!" Sure enough that was it and the replacement took all of 10 minutes and it wouldn't have been that long if he hadn't stopped to talk on his phone helping a newbie figure out a problem! Good luck with yours!
    You need to find a new repair guy Ron!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I've used the same company for 35 years and this was some young "want-to-be-in-sales" guy I believe. Guess he thought I  had "STUPID" printed on my forehead since I'm a senior! Just the same the STUPID was erased by my "I told you so" smirk!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Every once in a while it seems everything that can go wrong, goes wrong. It is those times, and we all have had them, when we have to hit the pause button, and look around. No matter what we are going through, there are others dealing with much more devastating issues.
    I know things are hard, and they seem to pile up, but be thankful you have the ability to handle it and move on.
    So do it doggy style: kick some grass on that shet and move on!
    Hoping your day goes better!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sookie
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Every once in a while it seems everything that can go wrong, goes wrong. It is those times, and we all have had them, when we have to hit the pause button, and look around. No matter what we are going through, there are others dealing with much more devastating issues.
    I know things are hard, and they seem to pile up, but be thankful you have the ability to handle it and move on.

Ha thanks Ron!  This made me laugh.  Yesterday I went to work to be told when I got there that some car part under my car was hanging off (I had hit a tire in the road a couple days ago which knocked the undercarriage cover loose), then I spilled my awesome much needed coffee all over my desk, and when I went to get paper towels to clean it up, I ripped the paper towel holder off the wall.  All within 10 minutes.

Honestly I just had to stand there and crack up over it. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Sookie said:
    YukonRon said:

Ha thanks Ron!  This made me laugh.  Yesterday I went to work to be told when I got there that some car part under my car was hanging off (I had hit a tire in the road a couple days ago which knocked the undercarriage cover loose), then I spilled my awesome much needed coffee all over my desk, and when I went to get paper towels to clean it up, I ripped the paper towel holder off the wall.  All within 10 minutes.

Honestly I just had to stand there and crack up over it. 

Woke up this morning to chainsaws going off in the neighborhood, which is never a good sign. We had a very bad storm last night, and a couple of homes around here took some major hits. One of the families of those homes had to stay with us last night, a 100 year old tulip poplar went through the roof of their home. It could have been so much worse. I suppose that is one good way to rationalize things? Anyway, keep your chin up and face the day! Hopefully it will get better.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • icunrse
    icunrse Posts: 87
    Options
    I had a week like that a last month. No AC upstairs. Lawn mower quit. And my car quit. A few $100s later...freon for the AC,  lawn mower air filter (thanks google), and a new car battery,  now I'm on the right path. As Yukon says, it could be worse. Hang in there. Hugs.
    Amy 
    Hope Mills, NC
    LBGE, and the only one on the block. My neighbor just got a new gas grill...let the games begin!!

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited July 2015
    Options
    +1 on the start capacitor on the AC. Make sure they don't try to sell you on something you don't need. The other thing it might be is if your condenser or evaporator is excessively dirty and fan/condenser is over amping. 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO