Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying my first butt tomorrow

Options
4 lb butt. Was planning on just doing mustard and Dizzy Dust, I don't have an injector. If we want to be eating at 7-8 pm, what time should I start it? Can't do it tonight and reheat bc we're searing steaks later this evening. Do I need a drip pan filled with anything? Assuming 250° until done, but I'd love your guidance! Thanks!

Comments

• MrWilliams
    MrWilliams Posts: 112
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Whatever time you start in I would aim to finish at 5 and FTC till 7-8.  Gives you some wiggle room if thing take longer.  Do the smoked mack and cheese when the butt comes off before the steaks if you really want to make friends.
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    TURBO BUTTS

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    ·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, 
    then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil. Also good with the coffee rub. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cliffturner04
    Options
    And FTC is foil towel cooler? Does that ruin the bark? Just wrap tight in foil and surround with towels in my Yeti for 2 hours?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Only if needed to hold. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    4 lb butt. Was planning on just doing mustard and Dizzy Dust, I don't have an injector. If we want to be eating at 7-8 pm, what time should I start it? Can't do it tonight and reheat bc we're searing steaks later this evening. Do I need a drip pan filled with anything? Assuming 250° until done, but I'd love your guidance! Thanks!
    Mustard is not needed. A waste of a perfectly good hot dog condiment! :) Injection isn't needed either. Drip pan is a good idea. No need to fill. It will be filled soon enough.

Butts are very forgiving... you'll be fine. Enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Results ????  Pics ?????  

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• cliffturner04
    Options
    Butt went on around noon. 

Temp is struggling to climb above 210°, it's been going since 12 when the fire was stabilized at 225° for about 1 hour. Just opened the bottom vent another 1/8", going to check it at 3:30 to see where we're at. Either way I have a probe thermometer in it set to 200°, so I should be okay!  I'll get some after-smoke and post-shred photos in a bit!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Get up to 250-275 range. It's much harder to hold below 250 without a controller.