Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

190* leg of lamb

Options
BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did anyone ever hear the results of the guy who cooked a leg of lamb to internal of 190 plus? I wanted to know if it pulled or was just shoe leather. Thanks, Tom

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    2004_0105Image0013.jpg
    <p />BajaTom,
    i didnt hear his results but i know you can get a leg to pull. i treated it like pulled beef and wrapped it at 180 with a little vinegar sauce and continued cooking until i got this. very muttony flavor if you like that, i dont and havent done it again

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    fishlessman,
    How'd you do the leg? I'm sitting here in my Moonlite BBQ t-shirt, reminiscing about their barbecued mutton and thinking I could make my own.[p]Ken

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    it was maybe a year ago, dont remember which rub, but i think it was dpcoarse. 225 inderect. when it hit about 180 i wrapped in foil with the vinegar sauce and continued cooking til about 200 internal. i mixed elderwards vinegar sauce with wdans garlic mojo sauce and a little mint jelly. the only thing i liked about this cook was the sauce, i later mixed the sauce with mayo and yogurt and it was great with smo fried hot wings. if you like mutton i suppose it would be good, it was very moist and easy to pull. check out the dizzy pig site for how they do theirs

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Made the pilgrimage to Owensboro a couple years ago on way down to the Jack Daniels event and we were lucky enough to get a tour of the pit and talk to the manager there. Got a few tips and pointers, plus a recipe for the 'dip' and the result of that is on the Dizzy Pig website now. I used a shoulder cut, but we've since done bone-in leg roasts the same way. I think the results are fairly representative of the Moonlite's bbq'd mutton (although I had to settle for lamb; mutton's very scarce up this way).
    Check out the recipe and if you give it a shot, definitely let me know what you think of the results.
    Qfan

[ul][li]Dizzyfied Owensboro Recipe[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Thanks, fellas. Biggest problem is: of the two of us there's only one mutton fan - me![p]Ken