Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I thought I've been cooking tri-tip properly, but ...

Options

Shortly after I bought my first BGE a few months ago and found this forum, there was a thread about some tri-tip that was sold in Texas, and on the packaging was cooking instructions. I couldn't ask this question then because I wasn't a registered member, and now I can't find the thread.

Anyway, the directions said to cook the meat at around 350 degrees (I think, going from memory here) for 50 minutes (this I'm sure of). This struck me as odd, but there were no comments questioning the suggested cooking method, so it got me to wondering. I've always cooked my tri-tip much like a quality steak: Sear it on high temp, then indirect heat about 6-8 minutes a side depending on the size. Then slice against the grain into about half-inch-thick pieces. I've always enjoyed success with this method, but obviously it's different than the 50-minute method.

When I couldn't ask the question here, I talked to my butcher, who I've always felt knows his stuff. We agreed that because tri-tip is a quality cut of meat from the sirloin, there's no reason to cook it slow. He thought the method I described sounded like the way to go.

I'm still not sure, so I'd value your opinions.

(BTW, really happy to finally be approved so I could post this!)

Thanks,

Rob

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That's funny.  I think I posted what you're talking about.  It was a pic of tritip in the butcher case at the local supermarket and was advertised as some Texas thing.  I was just having a laugh at how the labeling called it Texas tri tip roast.

You're right, don't cook it that way.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Santa Maria Tri Tip - Ingredients : Granulated Garlic - Lawry's Seasoned Salt, course black pepper, olive oil.

No measurements needed, use enough to cover the meat. First, I rinsed the tri tip off with water and dry with paper towels. Second, rub the oil all over the meat. The olive oil helps the spices stick to the tri tip. Third, sprinkle on the seasonings. Start with the garlic, get a lot on there. This is the base ingredient to a perfect tri tip. Next, add the seasoned salt, finally the pepper.

In the next phase, the grilling process is just as important as the ingredients. Authentic tri tip is grilled directly over high heat with red oak coals. I don't have a tri tip bbq, so I use my egg to duplicate the process.

For true Santa Maria style, I use chunks of red oak.

I forward sear my tri tip. I get my egg to about 600-650 degrees. 6 minutes, flip then an additional 5 minutes. I make sure the sides get seared also - nice and black.

Next step is to pull the tri tip, the temp of the meat will be approx 95 degrees - right on target. I then add the plate setter, at this time the temp will have dropped below 400 degrees ... target temp is approx 350.

My target temp is approx 135 ... so i flip the tip at about 120. The finished product is amazing, the seared bark keeps the inside of the tip sooo tender.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    That sounds like a long time to sear it, but if you say it's the way to go...I'll try it next time.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @Sun Deviled Egg .. I like my Tri tip - Black. Feel free to adjust sear time to your tastes.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Santa Maria Tri Tip - Ingredients : Granulated Garlic - Lawry's Seasoned Salt, course black pepper, olive oil.

My target temp is approx 135 ... so i flip the tip at about 120. The finished product is amazing, the seared bark keeps the inside of the tip sooo tender.

Tim...... I did a Tri Tip last weekend and for the most part followed your process (except used different rub). The Tri Tip I purchased from my butcher had a thin fat cap which I started on the bottom of the sear. It turned out great. I had purchased out of the meat case.

I picked up two yesterday as I have family coming in for the weekend. The butcher asked me if I wanted the fat on or off. I asked that they trim it, but want to leave the fat on. My question is on the butcher / Tri purchase, what is your thoughts on the fat and also is there a strategy around the sear (fat on top or bottom)?

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I'm no expert on TriTip, but the one I did awhile ago turned out great.  I did a reverse sear.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    There are several ways of making TT and many variations on seasoning. The basics are Garlic, pepper, onion and salt. Variations include everything from parsley to a touch of Cayenne. Montreal SS works well too. Add Lawrey's to the list.

If you can, try reverse sear at some point. Indirect at 225 for an hour or so, pull it, set up for direct and ramp it up. Sear all sides until internal temp reaches desired temp (130 max for me). Let it rest for a bit, then slice to preferred thickness against the grain.
    South SLO County
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I just season it and grill it direct, flip, turn every few minutes until it's done. I get the thickest part up to 120ish, it will rise a few degree more. When sliced everyone can find a done ness they like.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Don't sear and then cook. That just gets you a good looking soggy crusted steak. Searing does not lock in the juices. You should cook the meat and then sear at the end. It will have more juices and have a very nice seared crust at the end.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SoCalTim
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Don't sear and then cook. That just gets you a good looking soggy crusted steak. Searing does not lock in the juices. You should cook the meat and then sear at the end. It will have more juices and have a very nice seared crust at the end.
    I respectfully disagree. I always forward sear my Tri tips. When I cut into mine, you can hear a slight 'ripping' of the bark ... that is music to my ears. My tri tip has absolutely no sogginess to it. Look at the picture again.

northGAcock  I trim all the fat off the tri tip ...
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Finished sear, as black as the night, then the final product ... a serious tri tip sandwich.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I like that meat to bread ratio.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited July 2015
    Options

I did this 2 nights ago, reverse seared.

350 indirect until 100 internal, then seared at 650 for 90 seconds per side. 
  • Toxarch
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Toxarch said:
    I respectfully disagree. I always forward sear my Tri tips. When I cut into mine, you can hear a slight 'ripping' of the bark ... that is music to my ears. My tri tip has absolutely no sogginess to it. Look at the picture again.

If it works for you, then keep on doing what you are doing. Your meat, your taste buds. I'm just trying to share info that could make your food even better, or not. It's your choice whether to try it out.

Alton Brown put forward searing to the test. Do a search for "food network to sear or not to sear" and watch the short video.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SoCalWJS
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    SoCalTim said:
    Toxarch said:

If it works for you, then keep on doing what you are doing. Your meat, your taste buds. I'm just trying to share info that could make your food even better, or not. It's your choice whether to try it out.

Alton Brown put forward searing to the test. Do a search for "food network to sear or not to sear" and watch the short video.
    AB's not the only one saying the same thing.

I can't remember who it was that put forth the question that made me re-think the sear first/reverse sear decision.

What do you hear when you sear the meat? Sizzle? That's MOISTURE, not just fat. Do you want to instantly lose some of the moisture in your meat? When you reverse sear, you are bring the meat temp up more slowly, so the moisture doesn't immediately disappear.
    South SLO County
  • Highlife
    Highlife Posts: 4
    Options
    Having been born and raised in Calif., I have been cooking TT for 25yrs. I am not by any means better than anybody else at this, because there is no wrong way if it turns out good. The BBQ they use in Santa Maria, Ca. has a grill that goes up and down over the coals. Searing low, then raising it up for slower cooking. My favorite way was (before BGE) to sear bald side for 15m, then fat side down for 30m. Move off heat leaving fat side down, and close down grill. Please remember, this was another brand of Q. Heat was nothing close to the BGE. I can't wait to try on My XL BGE!!!!!! Learning a lot from BGE members. Thanks.
  • Toxarch
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    AB's not the only one saying the same thing.
    Very true. I remembered that AB did a video on it years ago and that was the first video that came up in a quick search.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Lit...that is beautiful...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    blind99 said:
    When sliced everyone can find a doneness they like.

This is why tri-tip is a popular cut at our house. I grab the medium-rare pieces from the middle, there are medium slices for my wife, and my daughter is happy with the end cuts, which are done a little more. 

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Looks like a work of art :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    ^^ perfect doneness in my book!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options

Shortly after I bought my first BGE a few months ago and found this forum, there was a thread about some tri-tip that was sold in Texas, and on the packaging was cooking instructions. I couldn't ask this question then because I wasn't a registered member, and now I can't find the thread.

Anyway, the directions said to cook the meat at around 350 degrees (I think, going from memory here) for 50 minutes (this I'm sure of). This struck me as odd, but there were no comments questioning the suggested cooking method, so it got me to wondering. I've always cooked my tri-tip much like a quality steak: Sear it on high temp, then indirect heat about 6-8 minutes a side depending on the size. Then slice against the grain into about half-inch-thick pieces. I've always enjoyed success with this method, but obviously it's different than the 50-minute method.

When I couldn't ask the question here, I talked to my butcher, who I've always felt knows his stuff. We agreed that because tri-tip is a quality cut of meat from the sirloin, there's no reason to cook it slow. He thought the method I described sounded like the way to go.

I'm still not sure, so I'd value your opinions.

(BTW, really happy to finally be approved so I could post this!)

Thanks,

Rob

Here is a real good recipe for tri-tip.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181511/grilled-tri-tip-with-citrus-chile-butter#latesthttp://

Ross
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I did a 6 pounder, evoo and dry rub. Indirect at 225, to 125F IT. Pulled wrapped in foil until BGE hit 500F, reverse seared on all sides to desired internal, pulled, sliced, served, devoured.  I do this every time, results do not vary.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @northGAcock I think most people trim as much fat as possible.

@wolfie51sb, your method seems fine. Sear first, reverse sear, direct blah blah blah.... Lol. It's all good. 

FWIW, when you say "I value your opinions", be ready for anything.

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I did a 6 pounder, evoo and dry rub. Indirect at 225, to 125F IT. Pulled wrapped in foil until BGE hit 500F, reverse seared on all sides to desired internal, pulled, sliced, served, devoured.  I do this every time, results do not vary.
    Where'd you get a 6lb tri-tip?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@Eggcelsior

Oh man that looks great!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SoCalWJS
    edited July 2015
    Options
    stemc33 said:

*** not getting the quote feature to work quite right for whatever reason, so it looks bad*****

You definitely get more crust that way. Both (all) sides have that nice bark and you get great flavor from the seasoning(s) you use.

If you get a chance to, try something different. Buy an "untrimmed" tri tip. Trim the non fat cap side as much as you can and season it as normal, but leave the fat cap alone. Cook whatever method you like, but remember that the fat can burn easily and cause flare-ups, and also acts as something of a heat barrier as far as getting that side cooked as thoroughly.

At the end of the cook, the fat cap will be almost burned to a crisp. After the rest, trim that fat cap off and slice as normal.

Result? JUICY, Juicy, juicy Tri tip. Flavor will be more beefy per bite and less of the seasoning flavor comes through.

A good change of pace.

South SLO County
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    stemc33 said:

At the end of the cook, the fat cap will be almost burned to a crisp. After the rest, trim that fat cap off and slice as normal.

Result? JUICY, Juicy, juicy Tri tip. Flavor will be more beefy per bite and less of the seasoning flavor comes through.

A good change of pace.

Thanks WJS....just to confirm, there is no logic in which side to cook first correct? I would not really be benefiting from the fat side feeding flavor to the meat if seared on the front end correct? Perhaps on the back end? I am assuming this is your normal process?

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SoCalWJS
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    stemc33 said:

A good change of pace.

Thanks WJS....just to confirm, there is no logic in which side to cook first correct? I would not really be benefiting from the fat side feeding flavor to the meat if seared on the front end correct? Perhaps on the back end? I am assuming this is your normal process?

It's a mixed bag IMO. I usually start with the fat cap up simply because I don't want an immediate flare up. I find that I try to cook longer periods with the fat cap down and at lower temps/further away from the fire, and much shorter periods of time for the other sides, but at slightly higher temps.

(yes, I have a SM pit which I use for this technique =) )

When I'm really prepared well and looking for the best results, I put the TT on a rack with a pan underneath during the rest - fat side up so gravity is working to drip juices down the sides and hopefully back into the meat as well. Putting it on a rack prevents the other side from sopping up the drippings and not being as crisp/poorer bark quality.
    South SLO County