Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did anyone cook last night?

Options
During last night's hate party, I fired up the Large Egg for some dinner. Since my obesity was brought to my attention,  I opted for a leaner and healthier meal. (thanks to whomever pointed that out) 

I picked up some sockeye salmon from my local store, along with some fresh asparagus. Brought the Egg up to approx 400F and preheated my cast iron. Applied a little bit of evoo to the cast iron and seared the salmon. The fish cooked very quickly at that temp. The asparagus spears were brushed with evoo and seasoned with salt, pepper and a little paprika. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I opted for a leaner and healthier meal. 

Don't do this^^^^^^^. Being a man of rather large appetite myself, I prefer the massive man size portions. With that said, the food looks great as always. Solid cook.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    SGH said:

Don't do this^^^^^^^. Being a man of rather large appetite myself, I prefer the massive man size portions. With that said, the food looks great as always. Solid cook.  
    SGH prefers LARGE men...seems legit!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Great cook.

And don't let @SGH goad you into an early heart attack.  He just can't control his own portions and is looking for some company.  I can easily spot this behavior because "it takes one to know one".

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks great Craig!  I would tear that up!

I had a salad for lunch and chicken and veggies for dinner.  I seriously need to start working in some healthier options too. Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @SGH has the skinniest dog in a 10 mile radius.
    Options
    Stealing food from his own dog?  I knew he was a low-down ne'er-do-well, but that takes it down to another level.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
      He just can't control his own portions 
    It's been a real struggle but I have actually cut down a little as of late. Yesterday when I had dinner I only ate one seafood platter. Brother that's something I never do when eating seafood. I have always been a two platter man at minimum. My little grand daughter said i was getting fat. It kind of hurt my pride so I have been cutting back a little. I don't know if I can keep it up though. It's been killing me. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Stealing food from his own dog?  I knew he was a low-down ne'er-do-well, but that takes it down to another level.
    Well, I was trying to imply there are no scraps or leftovers, as SGH is highly efficient eating organism.
    Options
    @sgh do they all cheer when you walk into the grocery store? Just kidding man.  I wish I could eat like you.  My brother eats like that and he is 6'0 155 pounds. I'm pretty jealous.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    SGH said:
    Foghorn said:
      He just can't control his own portions 
    It's been a real struggle but I have actually cut down a little as of late. Yesterday when I had dinner I only ate one seafood platter. Brother that's something I never do when eating seafood. I have always been a two platter man at minimum. My little grand daughter said i was getting fat. It kind of hurt my pride so I have been cutting back a little. I don't know if I can keep it up though. It's been killing me. 

I hear you brother.  I have a colleague who occasionally brings Krispy Kreme doughnuts to work for a morning meeting.  She saw how many I ate and eventually was bringing 2 dozen just for me and 3 dozen for the other 20 people.  I've told her of my desire to cut down and encouraged her not to bring so many - and that I promised I would let everybody have as many as they want before I go into "eat everything in sight" mode.  Now she brings 3 dozen and I only get 1 or 2 doughnuts.  I find myself just pissed off and frustrated with that and I am actually much happier to just skip it all - so most days that is what I do...

Sorry for the derailment.  Again, the salmon and asparagus look great.  Maybe that's what I'll cook tonight.

San Antonio, TX

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nice looking cook Craig.  I've been meaning to cook some salmon for awhile now as well.  Wife loves it, but not my favorite.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SGH
    Options
    @sgh do they all cheer when you walk into the grocery store? Just kidding man.  I wish I could eat like you.  My brother eats like that and he is 6'0 155 pounds. I'm pretty jealous.  
    They sure smile when I walk through the door. You know, I realize that it's unhealth, but I really enjoy eating. I always have. Some folks like to golf, drink or what have you, I like to cook and eat. Heck I live for it. My youngest son is going to be a professional eater as well. He is only about 150 pounds but he can really put it down like ole dad. Kind of proud of him. 

Status- Standing by.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited July 2015
    Options
    maybe it doesn't matter, but I've always been taught to cook skin side down first (grandparents always said that's the way to do it). i was told that when done this way you get the skin more crisp.  does it actually make a difference in the end?  Sometimes the things we are  taught stick with us and they aren't always factual.  

Oh and by the way the food looks awesome. 
     Had to edit stupid AutoCorrect 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks great Craig.  I have never had sockeye before.  I keep hearing about it but I always seem to miss it when it is in season.   I just added it to my Publix shopping list.

I made fried rice and veggies on the Blackstone last night.  I won't pretend it was healthy, there was enough oil, butter, and sodium to choke a horse.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks good Craig. We don't do asparagus enough but, do them the same way you did and really enjoy them.

@cazzy... that burger looks great! Damn, I need to get one of those griddles.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I only get 1 or 2 doughnuts.  
    I would die^^^^^^^^. There are three things that I can not hold back on when I eat. Oysters, lobsters and donuts. I can make a real a$$ of myself on all three. I don't eat donuts very often for this reason. But when I do, I make it count I assure you. I will eat a dozen real quick just to settle my belly down before I start really eating. I would be scared to say just how many donuts that I could eat in one sitting If I was really hungry. I have ate three dozen before without blinking a eye. I only stopped then because the wife was furious and embarrassed. I'm more than confident that on a good day I could easily eat four dozen without stopping. We are going to have to stop talking about donuts or I'm fixing to blow my diet. Apologies to @BigGreenCraig for straying off of topic. Again, great cook man. 

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

Last nights sockeye.  It's my rub smooth, turbinado, ginger powder and then a brush of Yoshidas at the end.  Flesh down 400 direct for 2 min then skin down for a few more.  Served with a spaghetti squash that was tossed with evoo, balsamic, some ground Italian herbs, black pepper and of course a crap ton of freshly shaved Romano (no pics).  Yes, I know the Asian flavored salmon and Italian flavored squash aren't even from the same continent, but bit was good.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Nice looking cook Craig. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    "Since my obesity was brought to my attention,  I opted for a leaner and healthier meal. (thanks to whomever pointed that out) "

Kamado Joe Craig

======================

Dr. BBQ is not exactly svelte either.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    "Since my obesity was brought to my attention,  I opted for a leaner and healthier meal. (thanks to whomever pointed that out) "

Kamado Joe Craig

======================

Dr. BBQ is not exactly svelte either.
    Nor Moe Cason
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Looks good! 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great Craig! BTW, I don't hate.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I think I smelled some Craig roasting last night.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I did and it was epic. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I love Salmon.  Had a freezer full from a trip to Alaska last summer but the kids needed a plug to charge their scooter and decided the freezer wasn't that important.......I cried.

Looks fantastic!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I love Salmon.  Had a freezer full from a trip to Alaska last summer but the kids needed a plug to charge their scooter and decided the freezer wasn't that important.......I cried.

Looks fantastic!
    I have a feeling that they will never do that again. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Looks great!!  Need to eat a little healthier myself.  
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    SGH said:

I hear you, maybe this is more your speed. Brought the Mini Max to the office today and grilled up some ribeyes for the office. I'm working towards employee of the month...

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I feel you!  Need to eat healthy too!  That looks great.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site