Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can anyone vouch for this?

Options

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes.  Similar stories have been running on legitimate news outlets.  I am no longer using a wire brush if I wont be rinsing off the grid afterwards.  Not worth the risk. 
    New Orleans LA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    They may be trying to sell their solution and I fully respect that since SmokeWare didn't post this link, but you did.  Yes that warning has been posted here and elsewhere ad hausem. If it keeps up I bet the Surgeon General will require a label on every wire brush of ANY sort sold in the US to have a warning label!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have one of the wood scrapers that I was given by the fine folks at Portable Grill (PK)
    They sent me one after I complained about the grill surface rusting. They said the grid was nickle coated and it could not stand up to a metal brush of any kind.
    The wood scraper does a pretty good job.
  • bstockton11
    Options
    Yeah, the wire brush ingestion stories are all over the internet with some pretty gross/disturbing pics too
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    I've eaten one, or rather tried.  No bueno.  I threw everyone out and am very cautious.  I am just glad it was me and not my kids.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Guess I need to throw out my Grill Daddy Pro and the lifetime supply of replacement heads I bought.  :|

Oh, wait....I can sell them on eBay.  =)
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Yeah every summer something like that airs. I don't worry too much about it.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    I have a buddy that made his own wood grid scraper.  He likes his
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
     I too saw a whole bunch of these threads come up recently. 

On one of my latest trips to Home Depot, I saw a different brush, and for $5 figured, "what the heck, i'll give it a shot".

This brush works better than ANY bristle/wire based thing i've ever used....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Dual-Steel-Wool-Brush-812-9240-S/205453110
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like the Brillo Pad wanna be posted by @BRush00 it works very well. I do use a BillyBar first - it removes the really tough stuff and the pad removes the rest. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • mwstidham
    mwstidham Posts: 4
    Options
    I always let the grill heat up then grab a fist full of heavy duty foil with tongs and just clean it that way.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    I can vouch that using a welder's wire brush as @RRP recommended is the ticket. I made a wooden one, bought the Brillo pad one, and bought the wire brush. The wire brush is used and the others are in the trash. 
  • NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    Options
    I have no doubts about wires coming off brushes, I was hoping someone could vouch for the wooden solution.
    Atlanta GA. 
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    I don't bother with scrapers at all.  Once the egg is lit, grate goes on.  Once at temp, I use a handful of paper towels to remove any residuals from both sides of the grate.  Although I do like the idea @DieselkW puts forth!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    You clean your grids?

Options
    After I saw an article like this and sure enough the next time I used my wire brush I noticed some bristles coming off.  They didn't stick to the grate but in my mind it was just a matter of time.  So the wire brush went directly into the trash.

I thought about buying a wood scraper like this one but looked around a little and saw that other people were just using some crumpled up aluminum foil.  So that's what I've been doing since.  Just get a baseball sized chunk of heavy duty aluminum foil and give it some elbow grease.  Works great.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I clean my grid the same way I clean my plate setter. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    NoobZero said:
    I have no doubts about wires coming off brushes, I was hoping someone could vouch for the wooden solution.
    I can't vouch for it, but I want one. Never seen one until you posted the link. 

As as far as the bristle issue. One of our forum members that's a doc or nurse posted about this a while ago. Serious stuff. No more wire brushes for me. I've just been scraping the gunk off with my ash tool or foil. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I clean my grid the same way I clean my plate setter. 

This method works well except it has a similar problem as the wire brush. The big difference is choking on dog hair is safer than choking on wire. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Okay ... I'll answer your question.  I've taken the chance of leaving a bristle on the grate seriously.  A number of good brushes hit the trash can last year.  A pumice stone went in the trash also.  Their replacement was the Brillo style brush. It has been my main stay ... and works well. A couple of weeks ago I made a red oak scraper with a tapered end like the Scrapesation.  With two weeks of experience, plans are to keep using it.  So far it has done a reasonable job of cleaning the top 120 degrees of the grate rods.

One downside is you (I) need one for the rod spacing on the OEM grate and another for the spacing on the CGS grates.  

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL ... don't you have similar scraper?  What's your input?

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Jeepster47 You are correct Sir. I have 2 of them from   http://www.thegreatscrape.com/#!products/cjg9
    The Woody Paddle for the LBGE and Woody for the MM. Both work perfect as advertised. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Jeepster47 said: 

One downside is you (I) need one for the rod spacing on the OEM grate and another for the spacing on the CGS grates.  
     I still have to make one for my home cut cast iron grate for my small. Instead of being round the cross members if you could view from the side are shaped like a triangle. The flat side would be easy, but I never use it that way. Instead I will be cutting V shaped teeth which are 5/8" deep. Since the top edge isn't a sharp point I plan to use a contour guage to get it perfect as well as to establish the depth due to the angle to the grate while scraping. I plan to use maple since it is harder meaning it should last longer.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @RRP ... The instructions say to get the grate hot and burn the grooves in the unit.  That's what I did and it worked.  Might be easier than machining them in the board.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Both of mine groove pattern work on the OE SS grid or the CI grid. @Jeepster47 Agreed. Get grid extremely hot the first time and that will etch the grid pattern.  
    https://youtu.be/lqj217Zcqw0
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP ... The instructions say to get the grate hot and burn the grooves in the unit.  That's what I did and it worked.  Might be easier than machining them in the board.
    Thanks, Tom, but I really want my teeth to go clear through because there is always crud between the grates. I normally use a putty knife to scrape them, but that means doing them individually. I might just use my contour gauge as planned and cut them on my band saw and then burn them perfect like you suggest! 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Why is it most chefs deglaze a pan to preserve the browned bits of Goodness for the sauce, but all us grillers fanatically scrape them off into the fire?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RRP
    Options
    Botch said:
    Why is it most chefs deglaze a pan to preserve the browned bits of Goodness for the sauce, but all us grillers fanatically scrape them off into the fire?  
    True! BUT browned bits of goodness securely inside a pan is different than crud burnt on a grate.  =)
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    I didn't see anyone mention the Martin Grill Gadget? Has been around for several years and my father turned me on to one about 5 years ago for my gasser.. just need to find the right head shape and its awesome.  

https://www.grillgadget.com
    Beaufort, SC