Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thought it had to be @cazzy

Options
2»

Comments

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I can't imagine waiting in line for hours for some food let alone giving someone $50-$150 in addition to the cost of the food for it.  I've never been there but I'm sure it's good, people make it sound like it's some sort of drug or something, maybe that justifies the hours invested in waiting, who knows.  We all know what it turns into after we eat it so I just can't justify to myself the time investment to try it.  I just don't it I guess.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    I can't imagine waiting in line for hours for some food let alone giving someone $50-$150 in addition to the cost of the food for it.  I've never been there but I'm sure it's good, people make it sound like it's some sort of drug or something, maybe that justifies the hours invested in waiting, who knows.  We all know what it turns into after we eat it so I just can't justify to myself the time investment to try it.  I just don't it I guess.

@aukerns08, as you can read on the link below, it was not just about the food.  Sitting out for 4 hours chatting with my son and other BBQ nerds from all over the world (California, Ireland, and Australia were represented in our immediate vicinity) was quite pleasurable in and of itself.  It was probably worth doing even if we didn't eat.  Then the food set the bar to another level.  My grading scale had to change because the food there was an 11 out of 10 on my old scale.  Then I got to see the pits and pick the brain of the general manager a little.  Since then, I have made some "9.5" briskets that would have been "10.5" on my old grading scale.  So, as a result of my visit there and a lot of discussions on this board and texting with @cazzy and others I have raised my game to a level that I didn't previously know existed. 

So, I cherish the day I went there.  The only advice I have is to go very early so you get under the porch away from the elements.  A colleague of mine did the same last week only because he had a northern brother-in-law in town and was cynical about it, but came away with many of the same conclusions. 

So, I definitely wouldn't pay someone to do it for me the first time.  Being there is a big part of the experience.  But I can see why some might.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181230/ot-sitting-in-line-at-franklins-in-a-thunderstorm/p1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX