Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Above ground pool

Options
So just wondering if anybody has a suggestion for a nice above ground pool? Our kids love the 16 ft Intex we have, but you only get 2 years max out if then. Of course an in ground pool is what we would like, just too expensive. My wife wants it to look nice, and I'm afraid to do it right with a deck will be really expensive also...Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

Large BGE

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited July 2015
    Options

@SmokeLife Yes, don't. I had one a few years ago. 12,000 gl round. In year 4 the seam split and all that water went into my neighbor's yard and home. And I can't forget about all the patching of the liner when the nut grass pokes through. Then there is the conditioner you need on the portion that is above the water line. And last thing is they are not a forever pool. If or when you sell, it is not an asset.

If you want a pool, go in-ground. Just don't go nuts on the size or bling to keep the costs down.

I now have an in-ground gunite, 16,000gl. Easier to winterize, clean and maintain.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    There was a pool at our house when we moved in. Kids used it a lot and we had to replace it. Total PITA. The good news is that once the kids move on I can take it down. Sharkline makes a nice one. Looked into an in the ground but too expensive. I am in MA and we are lucky to have 3 months to use it. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    We had two Intex Walmart pools at our old house. My kids loved them. 

When we moved to our new house my wife had a fit for an inground. I will be honest I don't like it. I am not a pool guy. My wife and daughter love it, but my son is just like me. He doesn't care for it. I call it the money pit. 

I don't know how small your kids are, but my advice would be is that if you are okay with the Intex pools keep using them until your kids are older and either move out or lose interest. 

It will save you a ton of money in the long run. I threaten to cover mine up every few weeks! 

Here is what we have now. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @johnkitchens and once again my disdain for you ( read severe jealousy of) grows.  B)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You need some little boy statues to go with those streams.
  • Legume
    Options
    I could not drink beer in that backyard, I would have to learn to like white wine.
  • SmokeLife
    SmokeLife Posts: 64
    Options
    Nice pool johnkitckens! Too nice to fill in, but I agree it would be cheaper. Thanks everyone for the advice.
    Large BGE
  • Legume
    Options
    But to answer the OP, I have friends and family that have had above ground and those that like them also take them down each year.  Before we had room for an in ground, we bought a really big above ground spa that our kids used as a pool.  They were little, so it was fine.  Although keeping balanced chem in a small volume is a pita.

We now have inground and it is a lot of work, or you can pay someone a lot of money. Was great for the kids growing up as they had their friends over to our house more than they were somewhere else and that was invaluable to us.  You don't have to go epic, simple small is great for a pool, most of the time kids are just jumping in and adults just float with a cocktail, so you don't need room for laps.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    We have an above ground pool and it is great.  An in-ground pool would have been better but not $75K-100K better.

Many people we know have above ground pools for years/decades with no issues.

Maintenance is easy - I had chlorine tablets to the floating dispenser once a week.  Test the water every so often and that is it.  When leaves get on the bottom of the pool we scoop them out or through in the $100 robot to clean up.  End of the year is a bunch of chemicals (same for winterizing  any pool) and put the cover on it.  Not much maintenance at all.

Garnerville, NY
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I think most pool owners will tell you it's better to have a neighbor with a pool than a pool of your own.  I'm lucky in that respect.  My across the street neighbor has a nice pool(nothing like@johnkitchens) that she lets my wife and I use whenever we want.  As far as above ground pools go I can't really help man. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    My parents have an in-ground pool - they replace their liner every 5 years as it rips. 

I think its all about where the pool is installed and well prepared the area is for the pool.  Good foundation, good installation.

Garnerville, NY
  • baywulf
    baywulf Posts: 12
    Options

I just went thru this as my previous above ground pool finally corroded.  Lasted about 10 years.  The quality above ground pool is Doughboy.  It is made tough and comes with a great warranty, neighbors who have it put it in 20 years ago, and it still looks great with no problems.  The other above ground is Radiant pools which is not metal, this is a resin foam walls which have a great warranty.  They are pretty expensive, but no corrosion to worry about.  I went that route, and so far it is pretty awesome!

• SmokeLife
    SmokeLife Posts: 64
    Options
    We have a doughboy dealer fairly close, I have looked at them. Did you install a deck around yours baywulf?
    Large BGE
  • baywulf
    baywulf Posts: 12
    Options

There was a deck around the previous pool I replaced.  I matched the new pool as close as I could, but there is still a gap.  That will be my project next year, redoing the decking boards to match up to the edge.  I need to save some more money for that project as I want to use a composite wood material which is more expensive than pressure treated. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    In our old hood a neighbor had an above ground pool he built a deck around. It had been there for 10 years and still looked good. Not sure what all he has to do to keep it that way though.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Check out http://www.troublefreepool.com/forum.php.  That's where I go when I need help with my pool. Folks are really nice and will not steer you wrong. They have a forum just for above-grond pools.

They also make maintaining a pool simple (hint: don't listen to the pool store's advice - they have no interest in your pool looking good). My pool is crystal clear and I do little more than add chlorine once a week.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    Had a Doughboy 28' round. Sold the house and left the pool.  Next house went 16 x 32 inground. Best investment in our family we ever made.  We always knew where our kids were and who their friends were.  The more a pool is used, the easier it is to keep clean.  (If you get one, make sure to save some money and buy stock in a hotdog company.  You will cook lots of them. Or at least I did.)

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Any tips or advice on things to know beforehand?
    We have a spot in the yard in mind where years ago there was a pool. Have 110v and 220v ran to outside junction box from previous hot tub and pool.
    Time of year to install. Click here
    Install labor cost?
    Do materials cost?
    Maintenance cost? Weekly, monthly, start of the year, winterizing.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    My house is on a 30 acre pond. I feed the carp fermented feed corn in the spring a cup a day til it's gone,. My beach stays clean.  Way better than a pool and it cost me practically nothing. They stock trout in my pool
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it