Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Coffee and Coffee makers

Options
2»

Comments

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
     If you are looking to replace Keurig with another machine, I think the Nespresso is better quality coffee than the Keurig.  Not as good as Chemex or French Press, which is what I usually use, but much faster and easy when serving company.  
    Options
    We like the medium body whole bean coffee Don Pablo from Costco
    Suwanee Georgia - suburb north of Atlanta
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited July 2015
    Options
    $25 coffee maker. Folgers. Drink it all day until I get off work.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • onward_2_victory
    Options
    I'm new to the BGE, but I've been a huge coffee fan for decades.  I'll agree with  many others here that one of the cheapest ways to get great coffee is to go with a good French Press and quality whole bean coffee with a good grinder.  I got this Frieling French Press from amazon as a gift from my wife http://www.amazon.com/Frieling-Polished-Stainless-French-23-Ounce/dp/B00009ADDR/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1437095396&sr=1-1&keywords=frieling+french+press It's a little pricey, but it looks great and the reviews speak for themselves.  You can certainly find something good that's cheaper than the Frieling.  If you've never used a french press, there are plenty of tutorials on youtube with simple or detailed instructions.  Just be aware that if you are using a french press you'll need to use a more course grind of coffee than pre-ground coffee from the supermarket.

I'll also agree with Chubby that one of the more reasonable Supermarket brands that has great coffee is Peet's.  If you like a medium roast I'd recommend Peet's Cafe Domingo.  It's my personal favorite.

If you don't mind spending a little more for a really good drip machine I'd recommend the Technivorm Moccamaster.  I like to think of it as the BGE of coffee makers.  It's pricey (about $299 for one with a thermal carafe), but it makes the best coffee.  I wanted one for about 5-6 years and I finally got one as a gift for my 40th birthday.  It's one of the best gifts I've every received.  It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, it just makes great coffee.  One of the keys is that it is one of only two non-commercial style coffee makers that gets the water to a temperature of 200 degrees F (the temperature that coffee is brewed best at).  You can read reviews at amazon here http://www.amazon.com/Moccamaster-10-Cup-Coffee-Thermal-Polished/dp/B002S4DI2S/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1437096018&sr=1-1&keywords=technivorm+moccamaster. America's Test Kitchen also did a review of many coffee makers and named the Technivorm the best.  The following review on youtube explains why they rated it as the best.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gggDqQ5yh6o

Again, these are a little pricey and not for everyone.  Some people just want something cheap and simple, and I get that too.  For me, coffee and meat are two things that I don't mind spending a little more time and money on.  Good luck with your choice.

Todd - Smoking on my LBGE in Elkridge, MD

GO IRISH!  Onward to Victory!
  • BuckeyeFork
    BuckeyeFork Posts: 191
    Options
    I'm a french press guy.  We have a subscription (aka two bags a month) from a local roaster.  Take 55 grams coarsely ground coffee, add 30 ounces water from the kettle.  Sit 4 minutes.  Great cup of coffee, but takes a bit of effort.
    grams AND ounces, that's a pretty good trick.  

You must live close to the border.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Technivorn Moccamaster. Had one for years and pleased with the result every morning.  
    McKinney, TX
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    SCAA has the best resources/ratings for coffee makers.  There are quite a few that are "certified" (rigids standards for time, temp, etc.)  Not all are expensive.  I LOVE my aeropress, but it's manual.

KitchenAid just made pourovers automatic: http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KCM0802OB-Coffee-Brewer-Black/dp/B00OQJ7X8S/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1437114188&sr=1-1&keywords=kitchenaid+pourover&pebp=1437114194066&perid=1ZJCXX9YDNPVNCJ7BGTX

Also, reddit lets you search all the ATK results:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ATKGear/search?q=coffee&restrict_sr=on
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I suppose MBW and I have become coffee snobs. We buy our own beans, blend them, grind them, and French press them. We have spent thousands on every mechanical grinder, brewer, or combination of them both. We always seem to circle back to our French press.
    In fact, being the snobs we are, we have a home French press, a camping French  press (my favorite) and a travel French press. We take our personal blend of coffee wherever we go. 
    Odd story; My Beautiful Wife and I went to France this year. We take our French press and personal blend wherever we go. Except I, this time, decided not to pack the French press, because, well, We are going to France, and the homes we rented, would have them. Assumptions have never made me look like a MENSA candidate, and this decision was no different. After a long flight to Paris and another long drive to our rental in Burgundy, My Beautiful Wife and I needed coffee. There was no French press to be found. I drove to Beaune, hit every grocery store there, every department store, no French press. All that was available were the Kuenig or clones thereof. I eventually found a French press, for 5 Euros, at a yard sale. The lady I bought it from, told me she sells 6-8 per year, to Americans that come to France, like me, making the assumption I made. In fact, I did not see a French press in a store until I got to Paris, the second week we were in France.
    After this trip, no assumptions. I will take cheese to Wisconsin. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • scootr2200
    scootr2200 Posts: 23
    Options
    I too have a Frieling press.. But have not graduated to grinding my own beans, I use the grinder at the store set on the corsest setting. 

I love my press but hate the fine coffee that sits at the bottom on my Rambler and I usually toss the last few sips because of the same. Is there anyway for me to avoid the fine particals of the french press?

I normally let the coffee steep for 4-5 minutes before pressing and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the particals to settle. 

Mickey
    Western NC Egger since January 2014

• bigdaddydivo
    Options
    I am a coffee addict but certainly not an afficianado. We received a Bunn coffeemaker for a wedding present 21 years ago, when I was working mostly evenings and overnights. I am the only coffee drinker in the house and I killed that one in about 14 years. We are on our second Bunn and I swear by them. You can brew a full pot in 3 minutes and unless you put too much coffee in the filter basket, it always brews a great pot. You can also make a half a pot or even enough for one commuter mug(which is what I do every morning). I like the locally roasted beans and some of the nicer coffees when I have the time, but I usually use Maxwell house Dunkin Donuts regular roast or even Folgers occassionally. Some day when I retire perhaps I will try the nicer beans I can grind myself and try a french press, but for now hot, fast and lots of it works for me!! I do have a coffee grinder, but I use it for spices!!
    Just my .02

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• onward_2_victory
    Options
    I too have a Frieling press.. But have not graduated to grinding my own beans, I use the grinder at the store set on the corsest setting. 

I love my press but hate the fine coffee that sits at the bottom on my Rambler and I usually toss the last few sips because of the same. Is there anyway for me to avoid the fine particals of the french press?

I normally let the coffee steep for 4-5 minutes before pressing and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the particals to settle. 

Mickey

I've never seen or heard of a method of getting rid of the fine particles that you get at the bottom of your cup from using a french press.  I guess if you wanted to, when you pour the coffee from the french press into the cup you could try to put a paper or maybe even a gold filter in the top of the coffee mug to catch the fine particles.  However, doing that might also mean losing the oils that create the more full flavor that you get from using a french press over a drip machine in the first place.
    Todd - Smoking on my LBGE in Elkridge, MD

GO IRISH!  Onward to Victory!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    So, @robnybbq get all of the info you wanted?  I love these threads, so many opinions that you could get the same info on amazon if you just looked at 'coffee makers' or 'mattresses.'  Not that that's anyone's fault, it's just so influenced by personal preference and priorities.  Everyone is very helpful in sharing.

You have to figure out the intersection of your preferences for taste/convenience/cost, because it's very different for everyone.  My parents drank Sanka.  No wonder I hated coffee until I was an adult, I thought that was coffee.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @scootr2200 If necessary, try using the typical fine strainer most people use in the kitchen. Pour it through that. Gritless coffee every time.  
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Going to try the french press route with some different beans instead of the regular pre-ground mass marketed stuff.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks All .

Garnerville, NY
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    avibug said:
     If you are looking to replace Keurig with another machine, I think the Nespresso is better quality coffee than the Keurig.  Not as good as Chemex or French Press, which is what I usually use, but much faster and easy when serving company.  

I haven't found any k-cups that compare to nespresso pods.  I'm not a fan of all the foam that the nespresso vertuo machines make, but the coffee tastes good.  I have the Inissia and use it daily.  It makes a great shot of espresso in about 60 seconds.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'd suggest trying the cold brew technique with a Toddy. You make a concentrate and then add hot or cold water as needed for your cup.  Last 2 weeks in fridge and is very smooth. I love it. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    so now we know what brings the lurkers out...Coffee :lol: 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX