Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: what are you reading now?

Options

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    The Art of Fermentation by Sandor Katz.  Got a crock for Father's Day and I'm going to start my first batch of sauerkraut soon.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Remington ... by Chuck Waldron.

In the middle of an Erik Larson run - Dead Wake, Devil in the White City, and In The Garden of Beasts.  Few more to read to complete run here.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Colin Cotterill, "Six and a half deadly sins", the 10th book in the the  Dr. Siri series.  Siri is a coroner in Laos in the 1970s.  Interesting mysteries. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Acn said:
    The Art of Fermentation by Sandor Katz.  Got a crock for Father's Day and I'm going to start my first batch of sauerkraut soon.
    Oh, poopies.  I thought you were gonna make us all some beer.  
    I do like sauerkraut, though.  :)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Just finished Weedman by John McCaslin. Fascinating story about the drug smugglers in the 80s. Just started Doc Holliday by Gary Roberts. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • s_claus
    s_claus Posts: 74
    Options
    Just starting Nemesis Games, the fifth book in James S A Corey's Expanse series. A great Sci Fi series. Read The Martian a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed that as well.
    HO HO HO
    LBGE in Lawrenceville, GA
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    edited July 2015
    Options
     The Dark Side of the Road by Simon R. Green
    ** Love Simon R. Green's work, but this fell short for me**

The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi
    **Interesting but weird ending**

Finders Keepers by Stephen King
    **Setting up for #3!**

I, Ripper by Stephen Hunter
    **Unlike ANY of his other works (and I've read them all)**

Next in the queue?
    The English Spy by Daniel Silva
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    UncleFred said:

Your thoughts, if you will on this one^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    SGH said:
    UncleFred said:

Your thoughts, if you will on this one^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Let's see.... If you've watched/liked the Ripper Street series on BBC America, you'll love this book. I couldn't help but "see" some of the characters from the show while reading the book.
    It's a period piece about JTR told from 3 different views.  I was struck by the graphic, vivid details of the murders.  I guess, if you're going to do a book about JTR and want to convey the savagery of the event it should be graphic, but it's been a bit over the top for me... Like I said, it was unlike anything else I've read by Hunter (in style, it reminded me of some of the Prey series by Sandford).
    I've got about 100 pages left, so I can't give my final conclusion yet, but I would say that it's worth a read just don't expect a Bob Lee Swagger type story.

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options
    The carniivores manifesto...of course..

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The Count of Monte Cristo.  Friday I finished the last book in the W E B Griffin Corps series.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Capt7383
    Capt7383 Posts: 46
    Options
    The story of Mohammed, Islam unveiled. A real eye opener
  • Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    I am reading Where Nobody Knows Your Name by Feinstein, its about life in the minor leagues. Outstanding read, I am rationing it to make it last.
    Concerning Harper Lee's new novel, I probably won't read that based on the reviews I have read. It sounds forced to me. Why turn Atticus into a racist? Whats the point?
    Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Invisible by James Patterson

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    "Scents and Sensibility" by Spenser Quinn.  This is #5 in a series about a dog "Chet" and his human "Bernie" who is a private investigator.  Not fine literature, but after I read "The art of racing in the rain" written first person by a dog, I wanted more.  This series is fun and funny.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Just started Citizen Vince by Jess Walter.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SGH
    Options
    The Federalists Papers- Alexander Hamilton, James Madison & John Jay. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Missoula: Rape And The Justice System in a College Town b y Jon Krakauer.
    I had read Into Thin Air and Under The Banner Of Heaven by him previously.
    Also, I just finished Edge of Eternity, book three in Ken Follet's Century Trilogy.
    Wow, three 1000-plus page books.
    Big project, but great reading.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • onward_2_victory
    Options
    I'm about 50 pages in on I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes.  It's completely captivating so far.  If you haven't heard of it, it's about a series of gruesome murders in different locations around the world and I'm guessing they're linked together.  It's supposedly a "flawless plot to commit a appalling crime against humanity and only one man can solve it."

I was sold on it after I heard it advertised as a mix of Homeland, The Wire, and The Bourne Ultimatum.

Anyway, thanks for posting your current books.  I've been able to add a few to my reading list as a result.

@jaydub58 I've read Pillars of the Earth and about 70% so far of The World Without End by Ken Follett.  Both were some of the best books I've ever read.  They're big, but they make for a great stories and characters.
    Todd - Smoking on my LBGE in Elkridge, MD

GO IRISH!  Onward to Victory!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Who has time to read these days? Between work, egging and this forum... I'm tapped out. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I agree, Pillars of the Earth is a great read. Keep after the rest of the Century Trilogy. Great follow-up on the families established in the first book.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    Code of Conduct, the new Brad Thor book
    Carrollton, Va
  • SGH
    Options
    Who has time to read these days? Between work, egging and this forum... I'm tapped out. 
    I try to dedicate a little time each day to reading. It gets hard to do sometime though.  

Status- Standing by.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Chief9 said:
    Code of Conduct, the new Brad Thor book
    I'm reading that at the moment.  Not his best stuff.
    NOLA
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Options
    Just wrapped up Fearless.

Navy seal started as a great kid, turned drug addict, and then a great family guy and the top of the SEAL community. Real tear jerker.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I finished Harper Lee's watchman yesterday.I've got a nook and get my books that way.I also enjoy reading. 
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    Just finished a great biography on Charles goodnight of the goodnight/loving trail.  Now I'm on to A Confederacy of Dunces
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Concerning Harper Lee's new novel, I probably won't read that based on the reviews I have read. It sounds forced to me. Why turn Atticus into a racist? Whats the point?
    I thought I'd read somewhere recently that her new novel was actually written before TKAM, so it's more of a historical quirk than an intentional "change of character".  Not sure on that though.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month