Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thunderstorm + WIND + BGE = NOOOOOO!!!!

Options

Comments

• themillers5
    Options

Chubbs said:
    Smoking wood outta the limb? Filing an insurance claim that small is not worth it. Plus if you need to change providers or something you will have a claim on your record. Sucks. Where in SC are you? I am in Columbia
    I'm also in the Columbia area-Chapin.
    TheMillers5
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Jb weld will hold the leg on the plate setter. I kicked a leg off one of mine and put it back together and it never had an issue again.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    A direct message from God to get a smokware cap, and an AR rig.
    Phoenix 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great news on the Dome being OK.
    Give it very good look and be sure, but I would be more worried about cooking on a base having a crack than the dome. 
    Like others have said, look into an adjustable rig instead of a new PS.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • themillers5
    Options
    I do like the AR. I didn't think that JB Weld would hold up under high temps. I will definitely look into that!
    TheMillers5
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I've read somewhere not to smoke with black walnut - it has a toxin that it uses to reduce competition with other trees... if you do rip it down, wear gloves and a dust mask.

Glad to see a fairly happy ending for the egg, plate-setter is cheap in comparison.

Opportunity to get that stainless steel chimney cap ?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Better to be lucky  than good any day.  Couldn't have scripted that much better.  Right back in the saddle. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    Options
    If you don't want a smokeware, I've got an extra cap.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Whew.......   
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am glad your dome is ok. It could have been a lot worse. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    One lucky dude!
    Congratulations!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    lucky.   Good to hear it was not a total loss.

Garnerville, NY
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    You are a lucky man.  When my cap breaks I am getting a SmokeWear SS cap.  My current PS has a crack in it and I have a new one waiting when it does, but if I didn't I would be getting the AR.  You have choices now which is a good thing.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Lit
    Options
    I do like the AR. I didn't think that JB Weld would hold up under high temps. I will definitely look into that!
    I used a plate setter with a leg Jb welded for probably 5 years before I sold it. Did 700 degree pizzas many times with no issues. I believe Jb weld says it's rated to 600 or 700.
  • Lit
    Options
    Oh and congrats on the limited damage
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    My "never has let me down" smoke chart says use very little walnut (black or English). Game meats and stronger cuts of beef and pork. If pecan is the mild cousin to hickory, walnut is the stronger cousin. Given the smoke efficiency of the egg, that branch is likely two or three lifetimes of walnut smoke wood. 
    Great luck on your part!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have been told black walnut is better to smoke with, but haven't tired it myself yet.  You would want to let it dry out for at least 6 months before using.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Big Thunderstorm came through last night. I went to work this morning not knowing how my life had just changed overnight. My wife sent me pics and a text message that said "RIP Big Green Egg". Had some fence damage too. Of course I'm at work and haven't laid eyes on the carnage yet.  I did contact my local BGE dealer and they said they could order a new dome for about $210...hope that's all that is damaged. I'll try to update when I know more.

Is that your branch or your neighbors?   Branch looks like it may have been dead prior to fall.    Depending not he relationship, could be his liability......
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options

Make into a table. 

And congrats. Might consider a woo or AR with stone for a replacement depending on your cooking habits. 
    I would say look at the AR as well  and maybe a Smokeware cap instead of the damper......
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    @themillers5 , Are you in Upstate SC? I am in Spartanburg, near Inman and we got hammered Wednesday evening by a storm. 
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Er ahhh, Tuesday evening. My afternoon cocktail must be messing with my memory already!
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Don't bother with another plate setter.  Get an Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store.  You won't be disappointed. 

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    Sweet!
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Congrats on the health of the egg!

May look into having your insurance pay to cut down the tree!  My agent said they will pay for things like that without the deductible because it protects against future losses, like smashing the house! 
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• themillers5
    Options
    JimboBQ said:
    @themillers5 , Are you in Upstate SC? I am in Spartanburg, near Inman and we got hammered Wednesday evening by a storm. 
    No, in the Columbia area. We got strong winds for about 20-30 minutes,very little thunder/lightning and no rain.
    TheMillers5
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    congrats on the limited damage! Another happy AR owner here :)
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Save a chunk and make a handle out of it.....  Get the new SmokeWare SS Cap.

Maybe try to fix the PS with some stainless steel strapping and screws and nuts.  Just be careful drilling thru the ceramic since it is pretty brittle.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Close call @themillers5 !  Glad the damage was minimal.  Btw, all of us Columbia people need to meet up for a cookout sometime. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    So, first, great man glad it's ok!

Second, I'm pretty confused on how the plate setter broke?? Was it not in the egg?? 

XLBGE