Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Question

Options
I have a huge skillet that just fits on my egg. If I want to cook meat alongside veggies in the skillet the handle sticks out. Do you just close it down with the handle sticking out? Seems like it would burn the gasket. Or do you cook in skillet, remove, then cook the meat?

Comments

• dmirish1
    dmirish1 Posts: 115
    Options
    I took one of my cast iron skillets and cut all but an inch of the handle off and then rounded it so it wasn't sharp. Fits pretty well now when the LBGE is closed.

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Depends on how much you like the skillet?  If its grandma's skillet, got but a cheap Lodge and cut it down....  Save hers for something else!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Cook the meat first, then rest the meat while the veggies are cooking.

You'd be surprised how long you can keep a steak warm while resting - and long rest periods improve the steak.

I use one of those cheap Styrofoam coolers from an Omaha Steak delivery, just line the bottom with foil, put the steaks in the cooler, and cover with a terrycloth dish towel.

When the veggies are done, you'll get a good amount of steam out of the cooler when you open it, the steaks will be warm and rested, and the liquid on the foil goes in the dog dish.

Everyone is happy, including the puppy.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options

Here's a medium 140f thin ribeye after a 20 minute rest while I cooked the veggies in the background.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    I just bought a cheap ($15) lodge skillet and used the dremel multi tool to cut off the handle. Then the angle grinder to smooth it out - worked like a charm and now it fits the small egg perfectly.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Very simple to do with cast-iron just buy a bigger egg
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.