Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why do you Spatchcock Chicken

Fearless Flatlander
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I was cooking chicken, I Spatchcocked it like I always do, I learned about the method two years ago on the forum. As I was turning the chicken, I turn every 10 to 15 minutes to baste, turning a spatchcocked chicken is always a pane in the tail feathers for me. Anyway while turning I looked at the chicken and thought, "Hay, that looks like two half chickens held together by just a little bit of skin, what the cluck am I doing"? So I cut that little bit of skin and seperated the two halves. Life got so much easier so fast I decided I would ask the question on the Forum. I know without a really great reason I'll never spatchcock again. So why does an egger spatchcock a chicken? Best to all spring is hear and my charcoal consumption just increased. FF

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Fearless Flatlander,
    if you get that chicken higher in the dome, you may find that you dont have to flip it at all, and the skin will crisp right up, why do you baste the chicken and with what

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fearless Flatlander,[p]I don't understand either, but that's why I cook split chicken... Then again, I don't own an egg and am not allowed to use the "s" word..... ;-)

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Fearless Flatlander,
    Ah, you have discovered my invention: "Half-cocked Chicken". Yes I am serious (at least about the name). See my web page...[p]TNW

[ul][li]Half Cocked Chicken[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman, I like to fiddle, so I have no problem popping out to the egg to turn and baste the chicken every ten minutes or so. I also think that the best part of eating chikcen is the bones that make up the rib cage. I like to get them to the point of crispy with a lot of flavor. I find basting gets this done better than just on flip in the egg. I use all sorts of things. Italian salad dressing, Dizzy Pig Tsunami with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a little bit of Mississippi BBQ sauce. What ever I use I try to marinate for a couple of hours. FF

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Fearless Flatlander,
    ill give that a try soon, except for a tandoori style chicken with the yogurt mixture, ive never thought to marinate a chicken

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    95febc5a.jpg
    <p />Fearless Flatlander,[p]I'm not a spatchcock (butterflied) fan either, mainly because I have been butchering birds (turkeys and chickens) into dark and light halves for a long time and for me, I get better results. I start the dark half 15 or 20 minutes ahead of the white half. It gives me absolute control on doneness on each half. I'm an old baster too, not every 15 minutes, but I do it with good results. I usually use more oil or butter in my chicken baste since the meat is leaner.[p]For turkey with dressing, after sectioning the bird, I remove the backbone from the breast. When serving I'll mound some pan cooked dressing on a platter, then set the breast on top and place the leg quarters on the side and it looks like a regular stuffed bird. If you want to see a step-by-step method for preparing a turkey breast like this just http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com and scroll down to my section on Turkey. [p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • NightBloomingCirrus2011.jpg
    <p />Fearless Flatlander,
    If you choose to flip the chicken frequently, I agree that the spatchcocked chicken is unwieldy. I find that I can just do one flip about 10-15 minutes before it's done. That's easy. But recently, I adopted a new method to avoid flipping. I heat a cast iron pizza pan over high heat on top of the stove for about 5 minutes. Then I (carefully) place it on the chicken which has been cooking on the egg, skin side up. It sears the skin and gives a nice texture to the meat.
    Paul

• Fearless Flatlander,
    I read about spatchcock chicken on this forum but really could not see why it would be any better than just grilling chicken parts so I didn’t try it for the first 9 months I owned my egg. Then tried it just for the hey of it and dang if it wasn’t the moistest chicken I have ever cooked. IMHO the reason it is so moist is there are less places for the juice to escape when you’re cooking one big piece. I am sure halving the chicken is excellent, but it does add places for the juice to get out. Personally I never flip, or move for that matter my chicken once it’s on the egg, but I also don’t eat the skin.

• thirdeye
    Essex County,[p]How about some details on the Indian corn, looks good. It's hard to find on the cob around here. The red hominy is available, but it is dried.[p]Thanks[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• The Naked Whiz, But where do you put the bottle opener. I just started drinking a Vermont micro soda brewer's product and they do not use twist offs, finnally a reason to put a bottle opener on my table. FF

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Fearless Flatlander,
    Wherever it fits???? :-)
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Fearless Flatlander,[p]I have been cutting chicken like that for over 20 years. Never knew the name but by darned it I don't say it a lot like this, [p]"Hey, ya'll want you bird spatchcocked?" The return comments are always outrageous. [p]Odis
  • Fearless Flatlander,[p]I am a flipper also. I have found that leaving the keel bone in makes it easier to flip.[p]E
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    thirdeye,[p]How do you cut up your chicken / turkeys into white
    and dark meat like you have in the picture?

• thirdeye
    Arvadaman,[p]Place the chicken on it's back with the legs pointing toward you. Slice the skin (skin only) between the knee and the breast on both legs. Don't get too western with your knife until you get a feel for what your end result will be, just make small cuts. Next, just work your knife along the thigh to the small of the back. Now since you want to keep the thighs connected, you will have to cut through the backbone where they meet. (If you want 2 dark quarters (leg & thigh) instead of a dark half, you can cut at the ball-joint where the thigh joins the small of the back). Using some kitchen shears, clean up the breast if needed and you are ready to go. I usually leave the back bone in chicken breasts but remove it on turkey breasts.[p]Hope this helps, after you do a couple, they will almost fall apart.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks.
  • thirdeye,
    My wife found this red hybrid stuff last year. We haven't grown corn in years. These were pretty stubby ears. It stays red if you roast it but if you boil it, you get yellow ears in a bucket of blood!
    Paul

• Pick
    Pick Posts: 36
    Fearless Flatlander,
    I have not spacthed a chicken as of yet, however I do always cook chicken bone side down for the majority of the cook, the reason for this is that bones have alot of moisture in them and this moisture evaporates up through the meat, maybe this is the reason for cooking chicken spatch style I don't know just my 2 cents, Later Jason