Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bradford Pear for Smoke??

Options
I know it can be used. But should it be used? Is it worth anything? 
Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I have used it successfully on my offset smoker. I never expect a flavor off it and compliment with apple or cherry. I personally wouldn't use it in an egg
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'm no expert, but when I cut that stuff for my dad, man it stunk. I'd burn some on the side first and smell the smoke. 
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I'm no expert, but when I cut that stuff for my dad, man it stunk. I'd burn some on the side first and smell the smoke. 
    It needs to dry, I wouldn't use it green
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Thanks guys. We had 2 blow down in a storm last night so I got to thinking. May just use as a bonfire. Again thanks
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    It needs to dry, I wouldn't use it green
    I'm not sure how dry it was, but it'd been down for awhile. He was going to turn some bowls with it, but mom doesn't trust him with the chainsaw anymore. 

Thats td the extent of my knowledge, but I'm interested in what others say. After the winds last night there should be plenty around. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My buddy had the best explanation for the smell. When it flowers it smells like jizz. Not looking for jizz kissed food.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Thanks guys. We had 2 blow down in a storm last night so I got to thinking. May just use as a bonfire. Again thanks
    I would cut it into logs now.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have some that came from a neighbors tree that lost some limbs.  It is fully dried.  To be honest, I don't think it adds any smoke flavor at all.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I have some that came from a neighbors tree that lost some limbs.  It is fully dried.  To be honest, I don't think it adds any smoke flavor at all.
    It doesn't!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Lit said:
    My buddy had the best explanation for the smell. When it flowers it smells like jizz. Not looking for jizz kissed food.

Smell[edit]

The tree is known for its pungent, often unpleasant smell during its flowering stage, which has been described as reminiscent of rotting fish,[8] chlorine,[8] or semen.[9]

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Bradford pear is like a sweetgum tree     Really not good for anything except littering the yard.    
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    Bradford pear is like a sweetgum tree     Really not good for anything except littering the yard.    
    Bonfires
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Lit said:
    It's hard to argue with logic like that.