Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket prep questions

Options
blind99
blind99 Posts: 4,971
A couple questions for you packer brisket cookers.
1. what is your trimming strategy?  do you ever remove the point from the flat?
2. do you ever inject the brisket?
Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Go to youtube.com and watch Aaron Franklins video on trimming.  Very very helpful.  Here is the link.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,345
    Options
    This  ^^^^^^^ for preps.  And his "Payoff" video for slicing-no burnt ends here. 
    I do not inject but there are some who do and hopefully they will be along.  (Should you inject in the prep phase-inject the target meat thru a plastic wrap.  Definitely makes clean-up a lot easier.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @hook_emhornsfan_74 I'm sad to say I've watched it at least 3 times.  the reason I ask about trimming is it seems the goal is to make an even piece of meat, that will cook evenly.  over on amazingribs he says he removes the point entirely.

what do folks here do?  (on a related note, very sad I won't make it down to brisket camp)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    Options
    I keep the packer whole. I am sure with the proper setup and technique one could master the point and flat as two separate pieces but I find that when I only cook the flat it turns out dry. In my opinion the flat benefits from the heat shielding provided by the fatty point. 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I watched the video, and although I trimmed the packer I cooked, I didn't trim near as much as done in the video.  I agree with @rosco, I  wanted to keep the fat on for the protection.  I did trim more of the hard fat though. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I trim the fat out between the flat and point leaving about an1/8-1/4" of fat all over if possible. I then cook flat side down.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    snoqualmiesmoker Posts: 265
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've often wondered if the  trimming he does for his 1000gallon tank smoker would be different for a verticle cooker with heat 6 inches below the meat.  i sparingly trim with my horizontle stumps. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I do not inject and I would recommened not doing it as a newbie. I would practie getting your rubs and cooking technique down first. When trimimg I cut as much of the hard fat off that I can. Then trim to your preference.  I typically leave about a 1/8 inch of the soft fat. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL