Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table Build Issue - Dome Won't Open All The Way

Options
Just finished my second table and must have miscalculated the distance needed between the second and top level. I already have a table nest and a thick paver underneath that but the piece in the back of the egg the holds the dome on will not allow it to open all the way. The wood is stopping the back opening component about a half inch short so it only partially opens up.

Is there a quick fix for this without having to add in another paver stone, or completely unscrew and raise my bottom level up? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 
Charlotte, NC

Comments

• danmac
    danmac Posts: 30
    Options
    I would add another paver under the egg.  Should raise it enough to clear the hinge. Another thought would be to add a half inch or more piece of wood under the paver.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Cut a notch out for the hinge or add a paver

XLBGE 
  • Biff_Tannen
    Options
    Ughhhh

I really don't want to add another paver since all I need is probably a half inch. I'm leaning towards adding a thin piece of wood under each corner of the paver or completely raising the whole bottom level up. Everything is fully in tack so would just have to unscrew each corner beam and raise/level it again. 
    Charlotte, NC
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Another air gap would be good too. 
  • rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    Options
    Find a thicker paver stone?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    When I retrofitted my large to the "then" new spring band I had the same issue. All I did was mark the point of contact and drill a couple holes!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    It looks like you can unscrew the back top board and cut a notch pretty easy. Would that work?
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Had that happen to me as well. I did the extra paver. The nice thing is it put more space between the top edge of the egg and the table. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you don't want the thickness of a paver you could get a piece of tile instead. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Work it work to take a router and lower the back area just enough to clear the hinge.  Of course this would depend on the thickness and the material used for the top.  You wouldn't have to raise the egg nor the bottom self this way.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    Remove the band and just lift the top off and on.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Feet. I use clay pot feet from HD.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Got a router? Take out part of the wood deep enough to clear the hinge.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• drano
    drano Posts: 39
    Options
    I notched mine as well. I preferred to have a notch that no one sees as opposed to the egg sitting up too high above the table top. I see many eggs that look awkward in their table. 
  • Biff_Tannen
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Got a router? Take out part of the wood deep enough to clear the hinge.
    Ended up doing this and it fine now. Used my jigsaw and just cut two small squares for the hinges to fit it. Problem solved and I didn't have to elevate the egg! 
    Charlotte, NC