Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please help my fish!

Options
Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thought I'd be frisky and EGG up some frozen cod filets today,couldn't find any info. in archives so went to TimM&GFW'sites to try to dig out some help on temp. & etc. Looked at salmon and haddock, figured that haddock was kin folks to cod so used 350 and cooked 4 min each side.Didn't really know what to coat pieces with,so went with olive oil and a lemon herb rub. Fish was so so. I've et better off the George Forman.NOW,where did I go wrong? What should I have done, we like the cod filets that we get from SAM's Club and want to learn how to EGG'um.Also can blackened fish be done on EGG? All directions I can find says to first scorch coating in a cast iron skillet.All help Preciated. Bob

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bamabob,
    KingOCoals and the others who live near the ocean could probably provide some great insight. I like cod and other white flesh fish cooked at higher temps (450-500) to get a good sear...which might be what you are lookin for.[p]I've seen a lot of blackened fish seasonings out there. Might be worth trying a mustard slather, then coat with the blackening seasoning and grill at 500 (or even 600+). I love the mustard crust...and you can't really taste the mustard. Or even the blacken seasoning without the mustard, and a spray coating of olive oil. Hmmm. Cajun seaoning and mustard also good.[p]Just some idears...my mind is screaming today.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bamabob
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for reply,I thought that a higher temp might do better,but was not sure how the thick to thin section of filet would do.I'll do another test burn soon,hopefully KingOCoals will give up some secrets.You're right about trying the mustard,I've started slobbering it on every thing that gets close to BGE,might even put it on my next pizza.THNX. Bob

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    showPODImage.bin?ImageID=IK907J&PodID=IK907J
    <p />Bamabob,[p]Check out the round griddle that is available at Cabela's for about $20.00. It will fit in a Lg BGE perfectly and can be used for fajitas, blackened items, steaks, eggs, ect.... It can be use on a gas fish cooker burner as well.[p]Ashley

[ul][li]Round Griddle[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    salmon3.jpg
    <p />Bamabob,[p]Sorry - you won't find much on my website with fish since we eat only small amounts and it normally the same kinds - tuna, salmon, wahoo. I am like Nature Boy and like them done at high temps (375-450). As far as Blackend fish, mine all tend to be that way and I often add Char-Crust to add even more. I know many like fish more "under done" than I so my way is not for everyone.[p]This was a test of 3 or four different Char-Crusts. I like the one on the left.
    Tim

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Bamabob,
    What the heck is one my fellow suthah-nahs doing with cod? Dem's Yankee fishez! I ain't never eat no codfish. I only eats what I can catch and doz cods are a-scared to come dis far south. I can only tell you how I do fish AlabamaRobert. Stay with me here, this may turn into a book. I do large filets on the EGG at around 350 or so (bottom vent wide open and with the small daisy holes open, but not the big slide hole open). I soak the big pieces in milk for a few hours or over night, and either do a dry cajun seasoning coating or make up a basting sauce with stuff like coctail sauce, dash of worchestershire, few drops of thick steak sauce, cayanne, just whatever you like. I have found if the basting sauce tastes good on your finger, it will be good on the fish too. The basting keeps the flesh moist and fights off drying heat. Be careful turning fish on the grill(as yu know). I let mine get pretty much done on the first side before I try to turn it. My favorite way to do fish is let Guru of Grease fry them,, but my second favorite way is to blacken it like they do redfish. Get a big skillet that will fit on the EGG, cut the fish in pieces the size of your favorite spatchula, melt real butter and let it cool off some, sprinkle the fish liberally on both sides with Prudhommes Blackened Redfish Seasoning, dip the filets in the cool melted butter and throw them into a ziploc bag. Let them sit in the fridg overnight at least. When you are ready to eat, get the EGG hot put your skillet on and let it get ultra hot. Leave the dome open during the whole cook. Let-er-rip! Throw the pieces of fish into the dry hot skillet. No need to add butter to the skillet cause you already got it coagulated on the fish already. When the fish starts to turn opaqueish white, flip er over and blacken the other side. It looks like it is burning, but if it aint blackened, it don't taste as good. MityFine! Or you can put the filets in one of those fish baskets and do grilled that way. That's the sissy way and usually the fish will try to stick to your basket. You can't go wrong with any one of these ways. We don't get many cods down here, except the ones that come down on vacation. We have to suffer with flounder, snapper, ling, king, spanish, amberjack, shark(ummm), white trout, speckeled trout, redfish, trigger fish, you know, junk like that. Let us hear how yours turned out. See, I told you it would turn into a book. I shudda put a table of contents at the top.

• Bamabob
    Options
    King-O-Coals,Many thanks fur gettin' back to me.I'm sorry for bein' such a low down trador an eatin yankee fish but I wuz desperate,done run outter catfish, crappy and brim ain't had time yet to dig worms and restock.Talk about sorry,I live here on Lake Martin and buy fish!You talking about all that good fish outter the gulf,done shamed me into goin' down to Gulf Shores and get me a cooler full.
    I really do prechate the cooking ideas, I'm sure going to give them a try.(with some real macho stuff,maybe a sting ray):) I printed off the cook book and it's with my other cookin' treasures.THNX Bob