Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Coffee and Coffee makers

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited July 2015 in Off Topic
We have a Kuerig at home and the coffee sucks and watery.  Looking to purchase a new coffee maker and coffee.  Years ago we had one that grinded the beans then started brewing on a timer and it was good.  I might look at something like that again.  I am the only one that drinks coffee.  Usually I have 2 cups each day on the weekends.  I usually get coffee at work during the week. but may start brewing some for the car ride.

Any recommendations on a coffee maker?   Also any good brands - I dont like burnt tasting Starbucks either - I guess I like a medium roast?

Would also go wit ha store ground coffee and use a normal coffee maker to if there is one that makes good coffee.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• RiverRatSkier
    Options

Dump the Kuerig.  So many reasons why.

Tons of options for both coffee and maker. 

For coffee, try different ones and find one you like.  Nerd out as much or little as you want with small/local roasters vs. big.  Starbucks does tend to burn their beans a bit, even on the lighter roasts.  The rumor mill claims that this is to sell more foo foo flavorings.  You can get a dark roast that is not burnt tasting.

For makers, tons of options again.  Do you have a local coffee shop that offers different means of making the coffee?  Many will offer via French press, syphon, chemex, airpot, etc.  Try the same coffee via different method.  If you can tell the difference, look into what you like best.  If not, fire up the drip coffee maker with the auto grinder and be happy.  However you choose to make your coffee, look for a burr grinder for the beans. 

Or just take the most frequent advice given by coffee snobs and get a French press and burr grinder.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I use 'normal coffee' in my Kuerig.  I drink Seattle's Best and some Kauai that my son brought me back from Hawaii.

Like you, I usually drink a couple of cups in the morning on my days off.   Coffee provided at work...only a 4 minute ride, so I wait to get there on work days.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Coffee snob here, get a French press and burr grinder. It does make a difference. Having said that I have had a Cuisinart Grind & Brew and it made good coffee. In my opinion, a good quality bean is just like good bourbon, worth the extra money.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I would definitely agree with the french press/burr grinder option.  Given that you're the only one drinking coffee and you don't brew a ton, I would definitely not want a large drip machine taking up counter space.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like you am the only coffee drinker in the house. I have my 1 cup in the morning on my way to work and even then, I only have it in the winter. Summer I dont drink coffee.  The Keurig works for se well so I don't have to brew a pot for just 1 cup.

I have a Keurig Platinum and I love mine. I drink the extra bold coffees and find them perfect. With the Platinum I have the option of setting the amount of  water per brew. If you don't have this option, you can just turn the machine off when it get to the right volume of water.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    edited July 2015
    Options
    growing up with dunkins i just copied them, bunn style at work, dunkin beans, real cream, but heres the kicker, i like coffee best in a paper cup
    starbucks is disgusting
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    I'm not a snob in the sense of burr grinders and such, but I hate crappy coffee.  We use a Keurig for convenience but buy the unlicensed San Francisco Bay coffee pods from Costco.  They aren't all plastic, they have a filter-like mesh pouch suspended under the top, not the huge cup that the licensed ones do.  I like this brand better than everything we've tried.  We also use the reusable filter and fill with beans we buy when we want something different.
  • Beagle1
    Beagle1 Posts: 37
    Options

I'm with Hokie_Smoker, French press and burr grinder is the way to go...  You can taste the difference. 

Atlanta, GA and Watts Bar Lake, TN
    2 LBGEs
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    I use a burr grinder and an Areo press. It's a single cup of great coffee. Try and find the freshest coffee you can. Worth the extra effort as far as I'm concerned. Check it out on Amazon.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    I use the Cuisinart Grind and Brew (with the hopper for beans so less refilling) with Mayorga whole bean from Costco.  Pretty good cup of coffee.  The burr grinder and french press also makes a great cup but you can't beat the grind and brew for the conveinience of fresh ground on a timer.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    OK, I'd like to add to the post, here's a different twist. I have acid reflux, it can be really bad sometimes. It got to the point where I couldn't drink coffee anymore.

I did some research and discovered that Folgers had a coffee that was made in such a way that it was really low in acidity.

It's awesome and to be honest it tastes fantastic. Simply put, I cannot tell the difference between 'fullstrength' Folgers and the 'Simply Folgers'.

I know quite of few people are a bit older, and some form of Reflux has set in, if this is you I recommend this coffee. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Here is the type reusable filter that I use.  But I am a pretty plain guy...I like certain coffees better than others, but am no snob or expert!!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    Legume said:
    I'm not a snob in the sense of burr grinders and such, but I hate crappy coffee.  We use a Keurig for convenience but buy the unlicensed San Francisco Bay coffee pods from Costco.  They aren't all plastic, they have a filter-like mesh pouch suspended under the top, not the huge cup that the licensed ones do.  I like this brand better than everything we've tried.  We also use the reusable filter and fill with beans we buy when we want something different.
    I agree with the San Francisco Bay from Costco.   Tasty coffee and the pods are mostly biodegradable. 
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    When it comes to coffee ...fresher is better! If you can find a good local roaster and try some of their coffees that would be a great start!
    I tried a lot of coffee over the years to be sure... I think easily one of the best Supermarket type brands available anywhere is Peets!
    I order from them directly... (so you get coffee within a couple days of it's roasting) but it's now starting to become available in many supermarkets, and once again you'll find their coffee to be the freshest of anything on the shelf!

Very good coffee... I can't recommend them enough!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    French Press (Burlington Coat Factory usually has them in the kitchen section for less that $15), a regular coffee grinder if you already have one (you can buy the burr grinder later if you like), a bag of beans from Costco (several to choose from), and a little trial and effort will deliver a fantastic cup of coffee for one person without too much expense.  It takes a little extra time but it is worth it. If you like it then you can add the burr grinder and an electric kettle to complete the set up.  Not a coffee snob by any means (big fan of Waffle House coffee) but I hate a bad cup of coffee.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I do have a french press.  I tried that maxwell House medium roast and it was bad.  I took a few tablespoons and hot water and it did not come out good.

I would not mind using the french press - just need to know how to make a good cup of coffee with it.  I guess I need a good bean/grind to begin with.

Garnerville, NY
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    Yes, definitely need to buy beans, not ground coffee.  Then grind the beans, using a grinder or burr grinder, grounds need to be course (think bread crumbs). Pour slightly less than boiling water (boil and let stand for a minute), over the grounds and stir. Let sit for 5 minutes then press down the plunger/filter. Pour and enjoy.  You can play with the grind and steep time to fit your taste, the water cannot be at boiling temp though as it will scald the coffee. My first few attempts were discouraging but after watching a few youtube videos I was able to find my way.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Ideal temp for brewing coffee is 200ºF. Another good reason for having a Thermapen.  You need to get some good quality beans to grind just before brewing.  There are many available mail order, but you may want to start with some good beans from your supermarket.  Peets is available in many markets - try their Major Dickason's blend.  Stay away from the Maxwell House and other similar brands.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Here is the type reusable filter that I use.  But I am a pretty plain guy...I like certain coffees better than others, but am no snob or expert!!!!

We also use the ekobrew inserts inside a reusable pod.  reusable pod without the insert seems to be watery. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes, definitely need to buy beans, not ground coffee.  Then grind the beans, using a grinder or burr grinder, grounds need to be course (think bread crumbs). Pour slightly less than boiling water (boil and let stand for a minute), over the grounds and stir. Let sit for 5 minutes then press down the plunger/filter. Pour and enjoy.  You can play with the grind and steep time to fit your taste, the water cannot be at boiling temp though as it will scald the coffee. My first few attempts were discouraging but after watching a few youtube videos I was able to find my way.
    You saved me having to write the same post Mel!!
    That's good advice... I hope he sees your post !
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Burr grinder + Chemex. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    rob, this could be part of the problem, maybe the main reason i switched to tea on the weekends on the boat, they are switching beans on us
    http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/06/19/noticed-that-your-coffee-tastes-funny-heres-why/

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    Options
    interesting.  Could be but who knows.

I got the French press for drinking coffee on the boat when we anchored out overnight a few years ago.  Now that I just got the boat back in the water I need to go get the press off of it. 

Garnerville, NY
  • RiverRatSkier
    Options
    Water temp makes a huge difference.  Try a range between 180 and 200.  I run about 190 (French press).  I use a gas stove and tea kettle.  As soon as I hear the water start to make noise in the kettle, shut the heat off and go.
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    +1 for the Aero Press from Amazon, easy, cheap and travels well 
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Since I left the midnight shift my coffee intake has fallen.   I've tried french press (which I love) but my go to is 8 o'clock in a bunn

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I am going to offer a slightly different solution. This is what we use in our house. They take a number 2 paper filter available at any grocery store. They sit on your cup and you pour the water through. This and a burr grinder.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/melitta-reg-pour-over-single-cup-brewing-cone/1010182077

A french press is wonderflul too but some people don't like the fine grinds left that you get with french press. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • dmarois
    dmarois Posts: 52
    Options
    I have a chemex for more than one cup or when people are over and an aero press to use as something quick before work. I love both
  • SmokininCT
    SmokininCT Posts: 51
    Options
    I also had a Keurig and wasn't happy with the the taste. I got one of these as a birthday gift earlier this year and have been very happy with it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BDC600XL-YouBrew-Coffee-Maker/dp/B005I710MW/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&srs=2586360011&ie=UTF8&qid=1437082401&sr=1-1&keywords=breville+coffee+maker

There are a bunch of settings to adjust brew strength and amount for single sized cups. Having the ability to brew a pot if needed is also nice. 
  • raginrapids
    raginrapids Posts: 19
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm a french press guy.  We have a subscription (aka two bags a month) from a local roaster.  Take 55 grams coarsely ground coffee, add 30 ounces water from the kettle.  Sit 4 minutes.  Great cup of coffee, but takes a bit of effort.
    Nashville, TN