Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide?

Options
eggo
eggo Posts: 492
This will be my first time to SV filets. I have a couple of small, 5 oz, bacon wrapped that are frozen. Should I thaw or put in the bath frozen?
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Won't the bacon come out gummy instead of rendering ?  I don't have an SV, just a naive question.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Don't know. Should I remove the bacon and re VP?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Legume
    Options
    No idea, probably want to research it or maybe someone here can answer.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You can just pull the bacon off before you sear it. I would not eat the bacon there's a good chance it never gets to safe pork eating temps.
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    If they are vacuum sealed, you could drop them while frozen.  I would dry with a paper towel then hit the bacon with a torch if you have one.  
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    The bacon is most likely cured unless you specifically got uncured, you can eat it "raw" - no food safety issue there.  You just need it crispy like ^^ @biggreenrob said.  Also, put the thing in frozen just means a longer bath.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I concur with @sumoconnell.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    By the time he gets the bacon crispy with a torch won't he over cook the steak? 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Nah.  I did bacon wrapped filet last night.  Hit it with a weed burner until the bacon was crispy.  It was still blue inside.  I pre-cooked it on a griddle to about 100F.  It was about 110 inside by the time I served.
    Options
    Lit said:
    By the time he gets the bacon crispy with a torch won't he over cook the steak? 
    If he dries the bacon then hits it with a mapp torch then it should be fine.  It shouldn't take long for the bacon to crisp plus you have more control with the flame.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The time/temp charts I've seen for SV start at 31 deg.
    You can start out frozen, however I can't predict how long it will take to reach the desired temp with my Poly Sciences SV app.
    If you tell me how thick the filets are I may be able to interpolate the cook time. I also need the temp you want to cook too.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    This may be a stupid question....but as you well know...I know nothing about SV (other than what I have picked up here on various threads from time to time )....but......What are the advantages of SV over traditional reverse-sear ?

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Legume
    Options
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    This may be a stupid question....but as you well know...I know nothing about SV (other than what I have picked up here on various threads from time to time )....but......What are the advantages of SV over traditional reverse-sear ?
    Best one I know of is that you can buy lesser grades of beef, select instead of choice. After a day in the SV, they are as tender as can be, w. a bag full of jus ready for sauce when the seared steaks are served.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    In terms of end results not really much; as long as you don't screw up the reverse sear (i.e., overshoot your pre-sear target temp). Overshooting target temp won't happen with sous vide. 

Plus, like spatchcock, it is fun to say!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Ohhhh OK !  So it's a French crock pot that won't overcook !!  I might have to invest.... Just kidding.  I've been "interested" ever since I saw it mentioned here when I first got started egging. I  even priced them at Williams Sonoma last year. I'm still pretty new to egging, so I am still amazed at it's level of performance.   Maybe I'll try SV sometime soon.  Thanks for the responses.

• GregW
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    In my opinion, at least for steak there is no advantage. 
  • Legume
    Options
    I'm just being snarky because I don't have one.  I want to get one to play around with.  The idea of fully cooking something and then getting the egg fired up for a 60 second sear doesn't appeal to me, but the idea of gently precooking some foods, having the flexibility to hold things at temp, etc. sounds interesting to me.  I need more toys when I'm cooking for two - ha!
  • GregW
    Options
    Legume said:
    I'm just being snarky because I don't have one.  I want to get one to play around with.  The idea of fully cooking something and then getting the egg fired up for a 60 second sear doesn't appeal to me, but the idea of gently precooking some foods, having the flexibility to hold things at temp, etc. sounds interesting to me.  I need more toys when I'm cooking for two - ha!
    You instincts are not wrong. In my opinion SV is trendy right now. I have had a setup for many years.
    It excels at reheating pulled vacuum sealed pork, there is no better way to reheat.
    I've done steaks with it enough to know that it doesn't come close in flavor to a properly grilled steak.
    If you work on reverse searing steak you can get most of the benefits of SV and all the flavor of traditional grilling. 
  • dldawes1
    Options
    I'm perfectly happy with my reverse sear and don't see how it could get any better. 

I also tend to lean toward agreeing that 'precooking' steaks in SV, then firing up the egg for a couple minutes would not be beneficial to me. But I can see where they could be used for many options to my cooking. 

As always, there are good uses for everything...maybe even Mangrates !!!!

• Legume
    Options
    I just can't imagine standing in front of a SV unit and drinking beer, it's not the same and my wife would certainly call BS on it where I get away with it when fire is involved.
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    Legume said:
    I just can't imagine standing in front of a SV unit and drinking beer, it's not the same and my wife would certainly call BS on it where I get away with it when fire is involved.
    Lol.  So true.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options

I'm new to Sous Vide but I've already learned a few things.  Number one, is to spend some time watching YouTube videos.  I learned a lot of 'What To Do' and even more of 'What NOT To Do,' especially when finishing off using my Big Green Egg.  I strongly recommend the YouTube route, although most of the Sous Vide videos are not finished on a grill, but using a torch.

You might also spend some time looking up Sous Vide recipes for what you're cooking.  If it does not include using a grill, mentally calculate what you will need to do to make it 'Eggable.' 

My goal was to use the Egg to pre or post cook the food, either before or after the Sous Vide.  I'm still learning.

Spring "YouTube Is The New Way Of Learning" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• dldawes1
    Options
    Spring Chicken...haven't heard you jump in in a while.  Appreciate your input very much !!!

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use my sous vide at 108 for steaks to hot tub them for 30-45 minutes. Gets the internal to around 80-90 so th etime on the grill is reduced greatly and you still get the flavor. You can do this same thing in a zip loc and a boewl in the sink you just have to add water several times to maintain temp. I also do my tri tips the same way and they come out great. Not a fan of sous vide and sear on steaks and tri tips but just about everything else I have tried in the sous vide is great. 48-72 hour skirt steaks are great. The boneless skinlesss chicken breasts are way better than you can get on the egg. Not sure I would consider the sous vide trendy anymore its been fairly main stream for atleast 5 years plus.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    I have an extra one you can borrow for a bit to see if you like it. Be home Friday night.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    IMHO, the egg isn't worth firing up for a quick sear.   That's why you shouldn't 86 your gasser.
    Options
    Legume said:
    I have an extra one you can borrow for a bit to see if you like it. Be home Friday night.
    well damn, there you go being all nice and everything.  I just may ping you at some point.   thx.
  • italchef
    italchef Posts: 5
    Options
    The max. time for something to be in water sous vide is 4 hours if the temperature in the bath is below 140F. What does that mean for you? It means that by the time the steaks  thaw and cook they'll need a lot longer than 4 hours. Like any other types of protein, defrost in the fridge and then do what you like with them, as long as it's not any longer than 4 hours. You can even sous vide them, drop them into an ice bath and then get them into the fridge to use later. Keep in mind that food borne illness is especially dangerous to the sick, the elderly and the very young. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I've never heard that before.  The FDA pasteurization tables go down to 134F.