Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thunderstorm + WIND + BGE = NOOOOOO!!!!

Big Thunderstorm came through last night. I went to work this morning not knowing how my life had just changed overnight. My wife sent me pics and a text message that said "RIP Big Green Egg". Had some fence damage too. Of course I'm at work and haven't laid eyes on the carnage yet.  I did contact my local BGE dealer and they said they could order a new dome for about $210...hope that's all that is damaged. I'll try to update when I know more.

TheMillers5

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Bum deal!  Hate seeing and egg in distress.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I hate to gamble but I bet your only out a small hole in your cover.
    The Egg stands up good to covered, blunt force trauma.lol
    Will keep fingers crossed but much easier to replace dome or even whole Egg than a big hole in the side of your house.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    Homeowners insurance should cover your damages.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Photo Egg said:
    Will keep fingers crossed but much easier to replace dome or even whole Egg than a big hole in the side of your house.
    Picture seems to show actual damage to the ceramic
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2015
    Now that is bad (coulda been devastated...) but as above, better than what could have happened.  You must be located in the mid-west as we have been getting hammered of late by Mother Nature. 
    Edit:  Now that is a tough first post-regardless, welcome aboard and you will be back on-line in no time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Homeowners insurance should cover your damages.
     Depends on what your deductible is, and I think your rates can go up. May be cheaper to just replace the dome (assuming that's the only part damaged), and not file a claim.

Nonetheless, sorry that your egg is hurt. I hope you get back to egging soon!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I looked into our insurance...deductible is too high for this....nothing a few well placed sledgehammer strikes couldn't fix.  ;)

And it does look like the ceramic is damaged. That branch fell almost 35 ft straight down...I'm just hoping it didn't damage the base as well.
    TheMillers5
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Looks like a tree that needs to come down as well.  Those limbs don't look good and could do some even worse damage in the future.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Actually I'm in SC. We only got the tail end of the front that went through the midwest.
    TheMillers5
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Photo Egg said:
    Picture seems to show actual damage to the ceramic
    You could be right.
    Was not sure if the little bit of white was inner padding on the cover or even from the lighter colored tree bark or ceramic cap. See why I don't gamble...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Yeah the tree died over the winter. We got some quotes to get her cut down...but didn't. Will be revisiting/reviewing those quotes tonight.
    TheMillers5
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Yeah the tree died over the winter. We got some quotes to get her cut down...but didn't. Will be revisiting/reviewing those quotes tonight.
    Sorry to see/hear about the Egg.  Best of luck to you.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Sorry to hear that!  Trees suck sometimes.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    That's too bad.  Hope for the best.  I ran my egg over with my truck into pieces.  You'll be back up and egging in no time!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    WeberWho? said:
    That's too bad.  Hope for the best.  I ran my egg over with my truck into pieces.  You'll be back up and egging in no time!
    Next time you go all Paul Sr. of American Chopper on your egg please get video.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    WeberWho? said:
    Next time you go all Paul Sr. of American Chopper on your egg please get video.
    Haha, reminds me of when Sr. drove his Expedition through the walls of the old shop
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Sorry to see that... Hopefully you'll be back in action soon..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Oh man that makes me sad.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    edited July 2015
    What does a new dome cost? I'm sorry that happened but at least you are probably only out 350 or so.  My parents had a whole tree fall into their living room.  That was a pain. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Go ahead and order the dome.  Turn the old one into a planter unless it is completely fragmented!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Yeah the tree died over the winter. We got some quotes to get her cut down...but didn't. Will be revisiting/reviewing those quotes tonight.
    What kind of tree? Will there be smoking wood for us all?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited July 2015
    You're lucky if that's all the damage. Sh!t happens....
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Smoking wood outta the limb? Filing an insurance claim that small is not worth it. Plus if you need to change providers or something you will have a claim on your record. Sucks. Where in SC are you? I am in Columbia
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Wood chips from the tree when he takes it down.....not the limb.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Make a handle out of the limb and use it on your new dome.
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    My XL got a crack in the base from a natural disaster last summer.  It cracked all the way through but did not separate.  I talked to my local dealer (a store that I didn't even buy my egg from as we had just moved here) and they contacted whoever they contact higher up.  Long story short, I got a new base free of charge.  I'm sure it was just standard company policy too as there would've been no reason for the local dealer to do anything to help me out as we hadn't yet established a relationship.  Just awesome CS on the part of BGE, IMO
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    oh my gosh, defintely do NOT submit a homeowners insurance claim for that dome.

For all the reasons @Spaightlabs  described.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Make into a table. 

And congrats. Might consider a woo or AR with stone for a replacement depending on your cooking habits.