Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High end rotomolded cooler deal.

Options

Comments

• Dawgs8033
    Dawgs8033 Posts: 113
    Options
    Just reserved a 20 and a 65
    LGBE, SBGE,Blackstone,Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

JohnH12 said:
    Several hundred on a cooler is OK if you can afford it 
    This ^^^^^^^^^ is true of anything. I don't need a big four wheel drive tractor with a front end loader or Units 1 thru 7, but i sure enjoy having them. They make life enjoyable. To be honest, I don't really need a BGE, but I like having one. To me, it's not about prestige, I just like quality stuff. Hey you only live once. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options

For that rice it needs to come with wheels and a motor.   This would be cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291504736837?lpid=82&chn=ps
    I would get killed or crippled on that thing!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I already have a Pelican 65 (or equivalent size) and I'm trying to figure out if there is really ever a time I need to keep something cold for 5+ days.  We use the 65 a couple times per year as an auxiliary refrigerator.  I tailgate for college football, but my lighter soft sided items do just fine for an 8 hour deal there.

But, I'm still considering buying one or two.....  I'll probably run it by my wife tonight.  While she loves the Pelican, there's probably a 70% chance she'll give it the thumbs down because we have no need.  (If I really, really wanted it, I'd just buy it and tell her later.)
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • SGH
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
      (If I really, really wanted it, I'd just buy it and tell her later.)
    I do the very same when I really want something. You should have seen the look on my wife's face when she came home from work one day and my new tractor was sitting in her parking place. She wasn't happy at first I assure you.

Status- Standing by.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SGH said:

For that rice it needs to come with wheels and a motor.   This would be cool.

I would get killed or crippled on that thing!!
    They had one of these at the bar a few years back. For a small donation to charity, they'd let you take it for a spin around the bar for a little while. That thing was a blast! 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    A tractor with a bucket has no room for argument. I live in suberbia and find myself wishing I had brought mine to Ohio regularly. I used to use it for everything. Even getting groceries from the car to the door. Every time I turn around its something. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SGH
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    A tractor with a bucket has no room for argument. I live in suberbia and find myself wishing I had brought mine to Ohio regularly. I used to use it for everything. Even getting groceries from the car to the door. Every time I turn around its something. 
    I have to agree 100% on the tractor my friend. A tractor and a gun are two things every man should have. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

They had one of these at the bar a few years back. For a small donation to charity, they'd let you take it for a spin around the bar for a little while. That thing was a blast! 
    I bet it was brother Double.  

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    We use this kind of cooler down at the coast where the water's not potable, we keep a cooler of drink ice for 5 days without any problem.
  • SGH
    Options
    Legume said:
    We use this kind of cooler down at the coast 
    Is this brand (RTI)? If so, can you offer any input on them?

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I reserved a white 20.  Thanks for letting us know.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I reserved a white 20.  Thanks for letting us know.
    My pleasure. I hope that they turn out to be a winner. 

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Options
    Sorry, no I meant the big expensive rotomolded coolers in general.  Usually a Pelican 95.  Big cheap marine igloos for everything else that doesn't have to stay frozen for 5 days.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Holy hell!  You'd need a crew of 4 to move a pelican 95 fully loaded. A 65 loaded has to be over 100#. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Just seen a few of my friends on Facebook liked this advertisement. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Legume
    Options
    Holy hell!  You'd need a crew of 4 to move a pelican 95 fully loaded. A 65 loaded has to be over 100#. 
    We bring lots of cheaper coolers, most packed with food or bags of ice we bought.  Some are dry storage for the boat trip - electronics, ammo and other things that need to be kept dry.  When we get there, the big cooler gets all of the bag ice dumped into it and stays on the deck for the week holding 'drink ice' while the food goes into the refrigerator and most of the other coolers get re-purposed for icing fish, beer for the boats, etc.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't mind moving heavy coolers if they're full of fish, otherwise I hate moving them.
    Options
    I don't mind moving heavy coolers if they're full of fish, otherwise I hate moving them.
    Agree. Even then I will pick them up with my tractor forks. I'm getting old and lazy my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

texaswig said:
    Just seen a few of my friends on Facebook liked this advertisement. 
    I may be wrong but I think that they are going to turn out to be great coolers. I reserved 3 of them. Hope I'm right. 

Status- Standing by.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    My Pelican 45 is heavy loaded.  The Marine Igloo 120 qt ATC is an awesome cooler that handles camping well.  It's nice to throw all the drinks and food into one cooler.

These hybrid coolers are overkill for the majority that don't fish, hunt, or camp........and especially overkill for anything smaller than 45 qts.  It's the new "cool" thang these days.  

Seems like Rtic may be a decent deal.  At least the volumes are accurate. Would be nice if Yeti or Pelican could incorporate pneumatic tires like the ATC for their bigger models.  With some planning and safe lifting techniques, I can load and unload the cooler fully loaded, approx 200lbs.    
    http://www.igloo-store.com/detail/IGL+ALLTERRAIN120
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SGH
    Options
    Focker said:
    My Pelican 45 is heavy loaded.  
    Yes sir, all of the rotomolded coolers are extremely heavy for there size compared to standard ones. However I intend on leaving one of these on the boat. It won't be moved much at all. The other I will probably store in the loft for future use. I agree, for just hanging out on the beach or sand bar for the day, the lighter coolers are much more practical and easier to manage. But again, I mostly shared the link for folks who want a rotomolded cooler but didn't want to shell out for a Yeti. The price they are asking for Yetis is a little more than most wish to spend. These seem like a great alternative. 

Status- Standing by.

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    SGH said:
    cssmd27 said:
      (If I really, really wanted it, I'd just buy it and tell her later.)
    I do the very same when I really want something. You should have seen the look on my wife's face when she came home from work one day and my new tractor was sitting in her parking place. She wasn't happy at first I assure you.
    Ok, she wasn't much help in terms of getting off the fence.  She just gave me the, "If you want it, then get it." line - and it wasn't a loaded line, FWIW.

So, I caved and reserved a 20 and 45.  I should be done with this lifetime with high end coolers considering how often I [don't really] need them.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • SGH
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
     I should be done with this lifetime with high end coolers considering how often I [don't really] need them.
    I say the same thing about stuff; coolers, smokers, grills, guns, fishing rods and reels but always end up aquiring more and more. It's a never ending vicious circle it seems. I was in Academy Sports yesterday buying some circle hooks and there sat a Yeti 50. The more I looked at it the more I wanted it. I really liked the fact that it was the same length and width of the 45 but it was a few inches deeper to hold more ice. I don't need it, but I can see me going back and getting it just because I like it. It's like everything else, sometimes it's not a need but a want. I hate to say this but the Yeti 50 with its added depth seems like almost the perfect size cooler for general use. The only thing I didn't like about it was the price. But that's true of all the Yetis.  I was surprised to hear that the 50 was one of the least popular in the Yeti line up. If I was going to buy a Yeti it would be the 50. With all of that said, I will probably have a Yeti 50 before sundown. It just never ends my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    She just gave me the, "If you want it, then get it." line - 
    My wife has learned through many years of experience not to say this. If she says it, it's a done deal no matter how sarcastic she says it. Now she says either yes or no. But when she says no, more often than not I ignore her and buy it any way. I'm kind of hard headed my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I can't justify $100 for a cooler let alone $200.  I don't camp anymore and we just used one of our old Igloo coolers this weekend for the first time this summer.  For that rice it needs to come with wheels and a motor.   This would be cool.

Back in my younger, less sophisticated tailgating days, I was planning with that company a cooler like that with a makeshift hitch I could attach to my wheelchair so that I could tow the cooler to the tailgate du jour. Not an issue anymore as the tailgate is now at my car so everyone visits me.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Needs/wants .... most things we discuss here are wants.

Beyong potable water, food, and shelter the rest is luxury.  Own it, enjoy, and savor the luxuries in life.  You only get to do it once my friends.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • BigJonMoo73
    Options
    Just put in my reservation for the 65! Hope they are good as they say they are!
    Little Elm, Tx
    LBGE
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Reserved a 45 and am thinking about reserving a 65 as well.  (IMHO, they'd be better served if the site let you reserve different sizes in one shot.)

I saw no harm in reserving, except if they sell or use my personal info contra to the statement that they won't.  

Surely they're modeling out the production run (# of reservations/[factor that will buy] * price) as they gear up.  Attractive "ground floor" pricing, good word of mouth, etc.  I wish them well.  

And now I'm off to reserve the 65.  Definitely not a "need" -- but it's got my "want" juices flowing.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .