Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Component Weights - Large BGE

Anyone have the actual weights of each component - or just the base if you have that?  I need to move my BGE large temporarily, without a helper likely, and figure it will require disassembly.  I did a search and found only weights for an XL, which seemed somewhat suspect as the total missed the listed weight by 50 pounds.  Thanks in advance

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Take the guts out, stick your arm down inside and grab by the vent. You can move it by yourself. 

If I take the guts out and use a ratchet strap under the handle and through the vents my 5'4" weight unspecified wife and myself can easily move it using handle and hinge. 
  • theyolksonyou
    I think all in the large is about 170#
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Regardless of the weight, and depending on how far it is being moved, I would recommend at least taking the innards out.

I have lifted my LBGE in and out of my table on my own before... long arms help.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Thanks folks, that was fast.  I am not long of arm and have had two shoulder surgeries, so need to be careful.  I was hoping to find out that the stripped base was under 75 pounds or so
  • theyolksonyou
    edited July 2015
    ha!  The MM weighs 78#!
  • garyg
    garyg Posts: 7
    What's a "MM"?  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    ha!  The MM weighs 78#!
    I think he meant the base itself 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008

garyg said:
    What's a "MM"?  
    Mini Max
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • theyolksonyou
    WeberWho? said:
    ha!  The MM weighs 78#!
    Yep, my bad. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Don't know the weight, but I assembled my large completely myself. Wasn't too bad. I just opened the box in the truck and moved each piece individually. If possible use a cart to move the pieces. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • garyg
    WeberWho? said:
    ha!  The MM weighs 78#!

Yup, just the Large base after taking off the dome and the innards (I've had the dome off prior to replace the gasket) was what I was asking after.  
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited July 2015
    Depending on where it's being moved, a nest handler might work. That is if your BGE is in a nest
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I just weighted the Large base and firebox.  The base is 50# and the firebox is 26#.  Why do I know?  I have them as warranty replacement parts sitting in boxes waiting to be assembled.  So 170# total sounds right.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Check out a Pot Lifter (Amazon is good).
    You can lift a tremendous amount with them.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • garyg
    500 said:
    I just weighted the Large base and firebox.  The base is 50# and the firebox is 26#.  Why do I know?  I have them as warranty replacement parts sitting in boxes waiting to be assembled.  So 170# total sounds right.
    Thanks 500, that's what I was looking for.  I can manage 50 pounds without having to buy another gadget or call in a crew.  The move is from a rear patio area (while the patio is being replaced) to a front garage until the work is completed.  Won't roll across the grass.  Didn't want the contractor to drop it or knock it over with a power buggy.  And want it available for egging up to the last night before ..